Author Topic: Superstar Spotlight: Dusty Rhodes  (Read 538 times)

Offline rated SRH

• +39/-15
  • Welcome to the Rated SRH Era!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Superstar Spotlight: Dusty Rhodes
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:42:41 AM »
Alright, here it is the return of Superstar Spotlight! Just for a refresher, if you are curious about ANY superstar send me a message and I'll spotlight your request. This will include Revolution superstars as well. I will also allow for previously done superstars to be revisited as well. This game changes with every set, so I have no issue with repeated superstars. That being said here is our next superstar.

Please keep those requests coming. Today's is another 'request' in Dusty Rhodes!!!!!

1.)  How viable is this superstar?
2.)  Is there a Superstar Specific Card that you'd like to spotlight? 
3.)  How have you built said superstar?  How did it work out?
4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual
5.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?

Dusty Rhodes
Starting Hand Size: 5     Superstar Value: 4
WWF Legend Superstar Ability: During your Draw Segment, draw up to # cards instead, where # is the difference between your Superstar Value and your opponent's Superstar Value and cannot be greater than 3; when # is 0, put up to 1 card from Ringside into your hand instead.
You cannot pack Managers or Corners.
V8

The American Dream
Backstage Card
When you draw 1+ cards during your Draw Segment, your first maneuver with 'classic' in the title played this turn is -#F, where # is equal to the number of cards drawn. When you draw 0 cards during your Draw Segment, your first maneuver with 'classic' in the title played this turn is +2D.
Your Elbow Drop and Bionic Elbow cards are F: 0, +2D, and replace 'Buh-Buh Ray Dudley' with 'Dusty Rhodes' in the text.
Unique     RMS logo     WWF Classic logo
V8

The Common Man
Backstage Card
Cannot be packed when packing Classic Competitor. When packing this card, your maneuvers with 'classic' in the title are not Unique.
Your maneuvers with 'classic' in the title are +2D.
When one of your Pre-match cards would be moved from your Ring, you may hide this card instead.
Unique     RMS logo     WWF Classic logo
V8

Texas Bullrope Match
Pre-match Stipulation
Cannot be blanked.
During your opponent’s turn, when he plays a non-Superstar-specific non-maneuver card, he randomly discards 1 card. During your turn, when you play a non-Unique non-maneuver card, discard 1 card.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     WWF Classic logo
V8

Managed by Sapphire
Pre-match Manager
Cannot be blanked, can be played during any Pre-match phase, and does not take up a Pre-match slot in your Ring.
Your opponent's "Your Town" and non-Superstar-specific Manager are blank; at the end of the Pre-match phase, he may put 4 cards from hand on the bottom of his Arsenal; if he does, put this card into your Ringside.
When this card is in your Ring or Ringside, you may remove it from the game to reverse any non-Superstar-specific maneuver.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     WWF Classic logo
V8

Dusty's Legendary Longevity
Mid-match Action
Cannot be packed when packing Wrestlemania.
During any turn when you would lose the game via Pinfall Victory, you may put this card into your Ring from your Backlash or Ringside, shuffle up to 10 cards from your Ringside and 2 of your cards removed from the game into your Arsenal, your opponent puts up to 1 Trademark Finisher from his Ring into his Ringside, and end the current turn.
V8

The Common Man Elbow Drop
High Risk
Can only be played after a successfully played 4D+ maneuver or as a Counter (to a maneuver).
Can only be reversed by Unique reversals from hand, or from Arsenal.
F: 15     D: 12     SV: 2     Unique     WWF Classic logo
V8

Dusty's Figure Four Leglock
Trademark Finisher + Submission
As a maneuver, this card is -#F and +#D, where # is equal to twice the number of cards drawn for your Ability this turn. When # is 0, cannot be reversed by non-Unique cards.
You may put Maintain Hold from your Ringside into your hand.
F: 20     D: 12     SV: 2     Unique     Multi     WWF Classic logo
V8

American Dream Bionic Elbow
Trademark Finisher
When played, this card is +3D for every card drawn during your Draw Segment this turn; when this card is 20D+, it is Multi.
When you drew 0 cards during your Draw Segment this turn, this card cannot be reversed from hand or Backlash.
F: 35     D: 15     SV: 3     Unique     WWF Classic logo
V8

The Son of a Plumber
Reversal: Special
When played from hand, reverse any maneuver and shuffle up to 4 cards from Ringside into your Arsenal.
F: 8     D: 0     Unique     WWF Classic logo
V8

Common Man Boogie
Action + Action
This card ignores Hell in a Cell Match.
Shuffle this card and up to 2 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
When this card would be removed from the game, put it on the bottom of your Arsenal instead.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Multi     WWF Classic logo
V8

Rhodes Family Values
Action + Action
Shuffle any number of cards with logos also on this card from your Ringside into your Arsenal, draw up to 3 cards, and your opponent puts 1 random card from his hand on the bottom of his Arsenal.
F: 5     D: 0     Unique     Multi
V8

Hard Times
Action + Action
Cannot be reversed.
Shuffle any number of cards with 'classic' in the title from your Ringside and/or your hand into your Arsenal, then draw up to the same number of cards moved from your hand +2.
F: 10     D: 0     Unique     Multi     WWF Classic logo
V8
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:23:19 AM by CreedP »
Your 2018 WWE Raw Deal World Champion!!!!!!!

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Dizzy

• +1/-0
  • Igor's Mommy <3
    • View Profile
Re: Suoerstar Spotlight: Dusty Rhodes
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »

I'd say very, Dusty can draw or recover depending on who the opponent is and how you tailor the deck to alter either player's superstar value.

Yep! Two, actually:

Dusty's Legendary Longevity
Mid-match Action
Cannot be packed when packing Wrestlemania.
During any turn when you would lose the game via Pinfall Victory, you may put this card into your Ring from your Backlash or Ringside, shuffle up to 10 cards from your Ringside and 2 of your cards removed from the game into your Arsenal, your opponent puts up to 1 Trademark Finisher from his Ring into his Ringside, and end the current turn.
V8

Better than Wrestlemania, in my opinion. Pack this with Writing Checks and/or Gooker and Survivor Series and Dusty can live forever, baby.

Common Man Boogie
Action + Action
This card ignores Hell in a Cell Match.
Shuffle this card and up to 2 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
When this card would be removed from the game, put it on the bottom of your Arsenal instead.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Multi     WWF Classic logo
V8

Who doesn't love constant cycling even in a cell? Jeez!

I haven't yet but I mean to. Obviously Legend Support. Classic maneuvers are sweet, especially with Common Man because you can pack three copies of the best ones!

4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual

I think he'd shine best in Virtual Classic

He seems to be one of those decks that can out draw and out live the opponent. Looks like a fun build.
Pizza is life, pizza is love.

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:06:13 AM »
ah hell....it's been a while since I did one of these......

He's good, he's more prone to be heel than face (so NOT Dusty-like) because Classic Knee to the nuts is just too good to pass on having three of them, and nitpicking and choosing the ones you like best (aka the actual good classic moves, Claw/Bulldog Lariat and the knee to the nads) and then working around them is  a solid plan!

Texas Bullrope Match
Pre-match Stipulation
Cannot be blanked.
During your opponent’s turn, when he plays a non-Superstar-specific non-maneuver card, he randomly discards 1 card. During your turn, when you play a non-Unique non-maneuver card, discard 1 card.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     WWF Classic logo
V8

Indian Strap Match on pure STEROIDS....with a little more discard you can wreck havoc upon thy opponent with this.....

Had him as a face for testing....it kinda struggled....it's amazing how 3 Classic Knee's the Groin filled out his problems so easily.....

VC and nXt he's fine (he might struggle in nXt since lack of Backlash and all).....Legends have a nice edge in VAA because of Legend-defense and all, but I don't think
I'd be willing to jump in the cesspool with him....he's not broken enough :p

He's a good solid deck, you can always manipulate the SSV's to make sure you get to draw 3 a turn and has some decent support and a unique trick with the classics, add in a few cheese moves for fort and you got a good plan....if you willlllllll
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +117/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:02 AM »
Fun fact: 'Dusty's Legendary Longevity' was originally titled 'The Dusty Finish', which is what the effect was intended to replicate :D
Timothy J. Rush, Permanent Iowa City Raw Deal Champion
Member of Team Niki Heber and Friends

Offline Dizzy

• +1/-0
  • Igor's Mommy <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »
Fun fact: 'Dusty's Legendary Longevity' was originally titled 'The Dusty Finish', which is what the effect was intended to replicate :D

Um may I ask why someone ROBBED US OF SUCH A GREAT CARD TITLE, ha ha
Pizza is life, pizza is love.

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:10 AM »
Um may I ask why someone ROBBED US OF SUCH A GREAT CARD TITLE, ha ha

It was out of my hands, I still called it that during testing  8)
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:19:31 AM »
A real Dusty Finish in Raw Deal would not have had Dusty in the match necessarily, but you escape a loss, then win anyway, only to have to play again to get a real result.  :P

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +117/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
Yeah. The Dusty Finish got its name from Dusty's booking, not his own matches.

Offline Drywall

• TCO Donor
  • +76/-69
  • 16-bit romantic, proprietor of Geek Street.
    • View Profile
Re: Superstar Spotlight: Dusty Rhodes
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
So I'm guessing we may never see a "Dusty Muffler" card. Dang it!
I'm the wind, baby.

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +117/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 11:20:57 AM »
His next support card will be 'HE'S GOT A BICYCLE!' though.

* this is not true.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +316/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 04:18:21 PM »
So I'm guessing we may never see a "Dusty Muffler" card. Dang it!

YOU go find a picture for that card, thanks. And keep it to yourself. Forever.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Drywall

• TCO Donor
  • +76/-69
  • 16-bit romantic, proprietor of Geek Street.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »

I'm the wind, baby.

Offline Naitchng

• +0/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 12:17:05 AM »
Dusty is really fun but depends heavily on the luck of yr draw.
Is an auto counter to non win con stall deck since u can basically skip draw segment thus can almost nv get counted out. I went face with rockchester (to put back cards like divine, since u draw 3 everyturn, though os cagematch is damn annoying),  bitter rivals (to prevent opp from playing belt or to play product tb 1st), product tb and old sch psychology. Pump kick and poke into bionic elbow is damn sweet, though this build is a 100% eating an old sch brawl deck. But since it was built ard can only be reverse style anyway, with pokes, precision sleeper, bionic elbows, shoot lock up, classic bulldog lariat, classic claw & his 3 hard to revese but low dmg specific moves. Dusty really can last damn bloody long as long as opponent dun have a win con, ultra aggro E.g.Lesnar volley/lashley or have irritating tmf/specifics. E.g. Styles clashes. 85% of the time he will outlast opponent to a count out win. Playing this deck really requires knowing when to reverse and when to non reverse, sit back and wait for opp to count out himself. In a nut shell, nd to be extremely patient and initial praying for some gd initial draws.