Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Royal Rumble Results  (Read 456 times)

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +489/-368
    • View Profile
[SPOILERS] Royal Rumble Results
« on: January 28, 2018, 09:19:02 PM »
First off, PLEASE don't spoil Takeover for me, I had to take Gem to the hospital last night - she's okay, but they kept her for observation due to breathing issues.  I'll probably watch it tomorrow.

But THE ROYAL RUMBLE 2018 was one of the most entertaining PPVs I've seen in years.  Probably in my personal Top Five along with RR 2000.  WOW. 

Great action, good amounts of nostalgia, but not too much... a little bit of everything for everyone.

(And hopefully this is enough to keep spoilers off the main page, heh)

RESULTS:

Pre-Show Matches:
* Kalisto, Dorado, Metalik d. TJP, Gallagher, Gulak:  I missed this, but Kalisto won for the lucha team with Salida Del Sol on TJP.
* The Revival d. Gallows & Anderson:  Caught parts of this, good back and forth action, and Revival takes out a knee to avenge their loss at Raw 25.
* Bobby Roode d. Mojo Rawley:  Bit of a foregone conclusion to me, but a good 7 1/2 min match anyway.  Rawley looked good without all the 'HYPE!' stuff he used before, I could stand to see these guys go again for a longer match.

Main Show:
WWE Championship:  AJ Styles d. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn - SORT OF.  Good match with 3 great talents, played back-and-forth early on with Kevin/Sami trading time, some good false finishes, but Sami missed a tag to Kevin before getting tossed out of the ring, Kevin comes in (not the legal man) and gets rolled up.  So technically AJ wins, but Kevin/Sami yelled at Shane later for this.  Did he see that?  YEP.  :D

Smackdown Tag Titles 2/3 Falls Match: Usos d. Gable & Benjamin in 2 straight falls.  Might have been a botch on the second fall, looked like Gable was supposed to dive in and break up the pin, but he landed a bit short.  Hard to say, that could have been planned, but a solid tag match up to that point, everyone looked great.

ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH (Men):  Wait, this is going on now?  Wow.  This was SO entertaining, like the 'old days' with a few surprise returns (either for fun or for Wow!), and some small stories along the way.  Rusev and Bálor start out, Finn would do the 'last until the end' bit making it to the Final Four, and looked good along the way.  Rhyno got a Philly pop, then Corbin tossed him, but got eliminated and destroyed everyone.

...including Slater as Heath was entering at #6, with everyone beating him up on the way to the ring being a hilarious running joke, even Big E stopped to shove pancakes in his mouth!  Elias came in after Heath and had time to play a song before Andrade "Cien" Almas (!) arrived.  Tye Dillinger should have been #10, but Sami & Kevin beat him up backstage and Zayn 'stole' his spot.

Sheamus came out at #11, tossing Heath into the ring, only to get Slater'ed out immediately!  Too funny!  New Day ended up all in the ring together, amidst other names like Nakamura and Cesaro.  Jinder eliminated Woods and Big E, but trying to get Kofi out, Kingston landed on Xavier!  They used a plate of pancakes to keep his foot off the ground, finally catapulting Kofi back into the ring, and he tossed Jinder in payback!

Seth Rollins was in at #18 and eliminated Cesaro, playing into the tag match later.  Woken Matt Hardy arrived and fought with Bray, they stopped to eliminate one or two guys before taking each other out of the match.  John Cena came in at #20 (he never arrives early for these matches!) and everyone jumped him, haha.  They lost interest, so he ended up eliminating Elias.

The Hurricane showed up at #21!  He tried to Hurrislam Cena and got immediately tossed out!  :D  #23 was ADAM COLE BAYBAY!  Big surprise there, but not as big as REY MYSTERIO at #27 WTF?!?!

Orton and Miz came in between those two as the star power continued to rise, then Roman Reigns (ugh) arrived at #28.  He briefly teamed with Rollins to toss out Miz, then turned on Seth and eliminated him!  What a jerk.  :)  Goldust was in at #29, and a disappointing Ziggler returned at #30, but didn't do much before being eliminated by Nakamura and Bálor.

6 men were left, with Cena / Rey / Orton on one side and Finn / Shinsuke / Reigns on the other - new school vs. old school!  Orton and Rey were next to go, leaving the Final Four.  Cena and Reigns knocked down the other two, and got a 'You both suck!' chant, heh

After some back-and-forth action, Cena eliminated Bálor to the crowd's dismay, then Nakamura eliminated Cena!  Which led to the inevitable Roman Reigns wi - KINSHASA!  REIGNS IS OUT!

WINNER:  Shinsuke Nakamura!!  YES!

How do you make that even better?  When asked which champion he wanted to face at Wrestlemania, he said AJ STYLES!  YES! YES! YES!

Raw Tag Title Match:  The Bar (Cesaro/Sheamus) d. Rollins & Jordan, New (4-Time) Champs
Amusing way to cover a legit injury to Jordan's back, Sheamus posted him early on, and he appeared woozy and disoriented.  Rollins finally made the hot tag, but Jordan staggered briefly in the ring, then tagged himself back out, haha!  Never seen that before... Seth put up a valiant effort but was beaten and lost.

WWE Universal Title Match:  Brock d. Kane (and Braun)
A wacky, wild, brawling, slamming, smashing hot mess that was fun to watch.  Since there is 'no DQ in a Triple Threat match' (sure, let's go with that), they broke tables, smashed the announcers' tables, used chairs and stairs, etc.  Brock finally shoved Braun out of the ring and F-5'ed Kane for the win, leaving with Heyman while Strowman yelled from the ring 'You didn't beat me!'  "Worst" match of the night but still fun and decent.

ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH (Women):  Wow, give them credit, they really made this a big deal, AND the main event!  We thought it would open the show, give some separation before the men's match.  Kudos!  Stephanie was on commentary, and Maria Menounos was the ring announcer.

Sasha and Becky started, as I thought they lasted for quite a while.  The first surprise return was Lita at #5, she kicked some ass for a while, including a moonsault onto both Banks and Lynch.  Kairi Sane (Mae Young Classic winner) got a great pop and some good offense, but was dumped by Dana Brooke, who was in turn eliminated by Torrie Wilson!

The new women called up from NXT recently (Absolution, Riott Squad) filled in, then Molly Holly and Michelle McCool arrived.  Michelle eliminated three people rather quickly, including Lana and Molly.  Vickie Guerrero came in for the comedy spot, screaming EXCUSE ME until everyone stopped to throw her out.  Carmella came out next, so Vickie smacked her with the MITB case as she was leaving, haha.

Natalya was out at #18, and dropped her ring gear on Carmella at ringside in a funny spot.  Kelly Kelly and Jacqueline also arrived, though neither did a lot.  Naomi played the Kofi Kingston role, landing on people at ringside, walking on the barricade, borrowing Maria Menounos's chair to get to the stairs, and coming back into the ring - only to get tossed out by Nia Jax.

Jax did big woman stuff, but was knocked out of the ring for a while, finally getting the 'everyone throw her out' spot later.  Ember Moon arrived at #23, banged up from her NXT match the night before.  Beth Phoenix was out next, squared off well with Nia Jax, and had a brief Divas Of Doom reunion before Natalya turned on her and ejected her former partner.

Then everything got serious as Asuka arrived at #25.  Business is about to pick up!  Nice bit where she and Ember came face to face, Moon got in a few shots including an Eclipse on Asuka.  Later, Asuka would use the injured arm to eliminate Ember in some nice psychology.

Mickie James, the Bella Twins, Bayley, and holy crap Trish Stratus were the final five to enter.  Trish and Mickie had a nice face-off, but James was eliminated in the exchange.  Sasha was able to eliminated Trish, and the Final Four was Banks, Asuka, and the Bella Twins.

The other three teamed up on Asuka, but Sasha got too mouthy, and when she went for the diving knees in the corner, the Bellas pushed her out.  Then Nikki tossed her sister, and had a good exchange with Asuka, but ultimately was kicked off the apron and eliminated.

WINNER:  Asuka!

The women's champions stepped into the ring and held up their titles with great anticipation, would Asuka choose the rival in Alexa Bliss, or the more physical match against Charlotte....

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT MY BAD REPUTATION

Ronda Rousey arrived, with a Piper-ish logo and wearing one of his old jackets (a nice gesture by Roddy's son!).  She came to the ring and offered a handshake to Asuka, who slapped her hand and grinned.  Rousey pointed to the Wrestlemania sign, then left the ring to where Stephanie was.  She offered another handshake, Stephanie slowly accepted.  Ronda exited to the ramp, pointing to the Wrestlemania sign once more as the show ended.

...WOW.  Fantastic show.  Nothing I didn't like, great surprise to close the show, just all around fun. 

Highly recommended!

CREED
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:11:34 PM by CreedP »
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] Royal Rumble Results
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:52:02 PM »
The only thing I wasn't too big on was the Raw Tag title match, but considering it was right after the Men's rumble match I can see where everyone might have been a little fatigued after that. lol
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline maskedllama

• +62/-61
  • Innovator of the 360 Reverse Diving Hoof Tackle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 10:05:32 PM »
The men's Rumble , the last 10 minutes, I was on the edge of my seat. I was so afraid that my hopes would be broken like a trophy awarded to a pro wrestler. And I was just too exhausted to get into the next two matches. The women's match was great. There were a lot of fun blast from the past. I do believe that Michelle McCool got mistaken for the Undertaker. But I was thrilled by the winner. And that scene, that I will just call the post credit scene, just blew everyone's mind. The most shocking pop of the night went to the hurricane. And the return of Vickie Guerrero, as well.
LLucha LLamadore by Ceika

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »
The men's Rumble , the last 10 minutes, I was on the edge of my seat. I was so afraid that my hopes would be broken like a trophy awarded to a pro wrestler. And I was just too exhausted to get into the next two matches. The women's match was great. There were a lot of fun blast from the past. I do believe that Michelle McCool got mistaken for the Undertaker. But I was thrilled by the winner. And that scene, that I will just call the post credit scene, just blew everyone's mind. The most shocking pop of the night went to the hurricane. And the return of Vickie Guerrero, as well.

The funny thing about the whole Hurricane thing, is I actually follow Shane on Facebook, and he posted a video about living by the choke slam and dying by the choke slam and pretty much him getting creamed every time he went for it, and I said to him, but mostly die by the choke slam. He just laughed and said TRUE......and what do you know? Same old schtick tonight! It was fun.  ;D ;D ;D
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +489/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
The only thing I wasn't too big on was the Raw Tag title match, but considering it was right after the Men's rumble match I can see where everyone might have been a little fatigued after that. lol

Yeah, it was a good 'cooldown' match, and told a good story  - also, turns out Jordan has an actual back injury, that's why he did basically nothing in the match.  Pretty good way to cover it up, IMO.

CREED

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline BigPimpin

• +275/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 10:45:48 PM »
The only thing I really had a problem with was the post-match for the Women's rumble match.  Champs seemed like an afterthought despite standing in the middle of the damn ring with the Royal Rumble winner who will be picking one of them, presumably tomorrow/today.  I mean the women did say they wanted to be equal to the guys, so now they've gotten their taste of "celebrity" booking as we've been dealing with in the men's division for years.  Be careful what you wish for sometimes...

That aside, a fantastic show that didn't feel as long as its 4 hours + 2 hour pre-show.  Two thumbs way up on this.
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +115/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 07:18:42 AM »
I mean, the women's rumble was great as long as you turn off your tv after the photo op of the champs flanking Asuka :D
Timothy J. Rush, Permanent Iowa City Raw Deal Champion
Member of Team Niki Heber and Friends

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +489/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:35:25 AM »
Ha!  I'm fine with the final event, Ronda's signed full-time with WWE and appears to be quite serious about making this work.  It's like Mike Tyson, only she's actually going to be in the ring.  It seems to be working for Shayna Baszler so far, this could be interesting...  :)

CREED

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +115/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
You know they think Ronda means money because they actually licensed a song for her theme :D
Timothy J. Rush, Permanent Iowa City Raw Deal Champion
Member of Team Niki Heber and Friends

Online Dizzy

• +1/-0
  • Igor's Mommy <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
It was weird seeing Gable and Benjamin lose two straight falls; everything else I was fine with sans Ziggles coming in at #30 and doing jack.
Pizza is life, pizza is love.

Offline Scotty

• +50/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »
It was weird seeing Gable and Benjamin lose two straight falls; everything else I was fine with sans Ziggles coming in at #30 and doing jack.

I was a little upset with the Ziggler performance too. Didn’t mind him #30, I actually predicted him, but thought he’d troll us one last time with someone else’s theme song. Wish he had some more eliminations, but I did enjoy the final 6 showdown. It appears once again, they want to do something with him, but already have plans laid out for everyone else, so he’s just....there.

Online rated SRH

• +35/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »

Appeared Gable botched the save. I highly doubt it was planned they lost 2 straight falls.
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline CRASHER

• +83/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »

that's so much of Ziggler's entire career that it damn well might as be his gimmick!!!!  :laugh: :laugh:
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline Queensryche

• +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
Seeing Rey Mysterio in the Rumble............. ..he looks like he's in phenomenal shape. I haven't seen him that lean and slender since his WCW days. The fact that he was wearing tights and not the baggy pants was also a throwback. He looked just like he did 20 years ago.
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse.

Don't let this signature distract you from the fact that Dele Alli has 29 more PL goals than Jack Wilshere.

"Tottenham are laughing at us!" - Dom, West Ham United fan, after Astra Giurgiu eliminated West Ham United from Europa (Entirely accurate statement).

Offline Hogtrail

• +14/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 09:35:48 PM »
I want Rey on 205 live, and Neville to come back
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!