Author Topic: The next set has the potential to be one of the biggest sets in the Virtual line  (Read 8767 times)

Offline dilbert505

• +48/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
While its always nice to get new superstars I think I we we would be fine if we never get a Mojo, Bo Dallas or Accession set. Tyler Breeze on the other hand is a must, but i would prefer to get a Fasion Police set instead.

I've seen this type of sentiment come up before, and it irritated me then. Turns out it still irritates me now.

The development team's responsibility isn't to pick a single player of the game, ask them what they and only they want, and produce exactly those things. Not you, not me, not even Creed, and he's the guy doing most of the design work. Just because you personally would be fine without Mojo or the Ascension doesn't mean that everyone shares that opinion, and the opinion of those who want to see them in the game is just as valid as yours. And besides, some of my favorite decks were of superstars who I could take or leave, on TV. (The best example of this for me was Big Poppa Pump. I find him boring as sin, but his ability is awesome.) Sometimes, it's worth taking a look at those guys, because maybe a great deck idea comes to mind for a guy who you otherwise don't have an interest in.

We all have a choice here: be happy new superstars are being made, or be annoyed that they aren't exactly the ones we would create given our druthers. Why, when the choice is between happiness and annoyance, would you actively choose to be annoyed?
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline CRASHER

• +84/-56
    • View Profile
So you wouldn't run with my Backed by Mama for Shelton request ;) haha jk

Win worlds and make it so  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +490/-369
    • View Profile
Just to chime in with Dilbert, it's just not possible to make only the Superstars that Joe, Bob, Billy, Ryan, and Tommy are interested in.  We'd never get anyone made!  :D

But we do the best we can to cover what seems best for everyone. 

And yeah, I never liked Jeff Jarrett and didn't really want to make him, but... there he is.  (And in the Hall of Fame, that's doubly weird...)

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Eric RD

• +15/-1
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
Yeah, Rich Swann is tricky, since there were a lot of allegations, and his wife is now denying a bunch of it.  That's a toughie, as much as I want to see him in the game from meeting him at PWG a few years back.  Ah well.

In the meantime, I'll spoil this much...  I had a plan to make a subset of NXT called Arrival, for those Superstars on that first card, either giving them a card or making that Superstar (except CJ Parker, cuz.. yeah.  haha)  So it's very likely you'll see some names that aren't in the WWE any longer, but hopefully they look and play well enough that people won't be too upset.  :)

CREED

That would give us these new Superstars.
Mojo Rawley
The Ascension
Emma
Tyler Breeze
Adrian Neville
Bo Dallas

As well as a card for:
Cesaro
Sami Zayn
Too Cool
Paige
Xavier Woods

Nothing to be upset about with this roster, including 6 more new Superstars. Very fitting with some logos we saw in V8.

While its always nice to get new superstars I think I we we would be fine if we never get a Mojo, Bo Dallas or Accession set. Tyler Breeze on the other hand is a must, but i would prefer to get a Fasion Police set instead.

Unless I’m misreading, this seems like it was an idea to have these in addition to the upcoming Superstars in the next set.
So it would be neat to see these superstars treated like Promo Superstars. Superstar card and an accompanying 2-3 specifics. Most of these already have a card in the game as well, and their new cards could give support to existing superstars. Or non specifics that have their name to give a larger effect (/similar to factions perhaps).
There are plenty of options, and there’s nothing wrong with adding superstars to the game when the opportunity is exists. Especially when it fits a theme like they do here around the first NXT “ppv”.
Backlash Podcast 23 - Face Stretch  https://youtu.be/18Au8MnNQ_Y

Backlash Podcast - a Raw Deal podcast - available every other Tuesday on Apple Podcast, Stitcher and YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/c/EricRDeal
https://www.facebook.com/Backlashpod/

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +490/-369
    • View Profile
"Unless I’m misreading" Kinda, yeah.   ;D

These are all full Superstars, the original idea was a holiday set type package for just that initial 6 Superstars (kudos to scouting report, as it is accurate!) with the single card support to the others already in the game.  Then V9 would be 'the rest' and the support for Superstars in general, but instead we're just folding it into a single big set like normal.

CREED

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Eric RD

• +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
What was the reason for the combining of the sets? That would have been nice pacing for more frequent, smaller sets. I’m guessing playtesting and a busy first half of the year are causes.
Also, can we safely guess that the released superstars featured in the upcoming set also wrestled at NXT Arrival?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:29:21 PM by Eric RD »

Backlash Podcast - a Raw Deal podcast - available every other Tuesday on Apple Podcast, Stitcher and YouTube.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +490/-369
    • View Profile
A few of the Arrival guys just weren't up to snuff, Emma in particular came our so much more poorly than expected, you'd think we made an Emmalina superstar!  :P

So we could either hold things up and retool them, then go back to PT (all while things were slowed down as I moved, Real Life Interferes and all that)... or we could get the testers started on the other guys, and we'll come back to the Arrival dudes once they are retooled.

Better progress made this way.  :)

(Sadly, I'm not clear on that last question, so I can't really answer it)

CREED

Offline Eric RD

• +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
My last question was asking if the released superstars in V9 were ones featured in Arrival, but your Emma comments kinda shot that idea down.

I like the give them stuff now to playtest option. Not sure how anyone else feels about it.
Thanks for keeping it going with a busy schedule, and answering our questions about the upcoming content. It’s always newt to get some insight on the future of the game.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +490/-369
    • View Profile
To be clear, the Arrival guys were presented for testing, then my life got flipped turned upside down... so now they are something like Part 1 of V9, and the PT team is working on Part 2.  When that's squared away, we should have part 1 properly rebooted and improved, so eventually it's all Virtual 9 in the end.

So yeah, you nailed 6 of the Superstars and I've announced 2 others.  That leaves 14 - (6 + 2) = 6 Superstars, and when you figure the time frame that this was designed from, the last 6 names won't be that surprising.  :)

CREED

Offline Kingsantino92

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
I'm only asking for Finn Balor. I don't have a top 5 lol I'll see whoever else is in the set on release day. Finn is my main desire.

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +12/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
So yeah, you nailed 6 of the Superstars and I've announced 2 others.  That leaves 14 - (6 + 2) = 6 Superstars, and when you figure the time frame that this was designed from, the last 6 names won't be that surprising.  :)

CREED

6 from EricRD + 2 from Creed:
Mojo Rawley
The Ascension
Emma
Tyler Breeze
Adrian Neville
Bo Dallas
Finn Balor
Shinsuke

With 6 slots left and the hint being PPVs around this period, here's the list of superstars narrowed down to the few PPVs around Feb 14 (NXT Arrival). I could be on to something, or totally off, but this is afterall just speculation! No points for guessing them wrong or right, but i did mark my guesses!

Royal Rumble (Jan 14): only El Torito surprisingly
Elimination Chamber (Feb 14): Curtis Axel, Cameron, Tamina Snuka, Zeb Colter?!?. There's Christian* too... so a legend version could be possible!
Wrestlemania (Apr 14): Los Matadores, Real Americans, Rybaxel, Aksana, Alicia Fox (would love to see her)*, Eva Marie*, Naomi*, Rosa Mendes, Yoshi Tatsu and Brad Maddox
NXT Takeover (May 14): Adam Rose, Camacho, Tyson Kidd*
NXT Takeover II (Sep 14): Lucha Dragons*, Bull Dempsey, Sylvester Lefort

Offline XtremeWRATH

• +4/-4
    • View Profile

I've seen this type of sentiment come up before, and it irritated me then. Turns out it still irritates me now.

The development team's responsibility isn't to pick a single player of the game, ask them what they and only they want, and produce exactly those things. Not you, not me, not even Creed, and he's the guy doing most of the design work. Just because you personally would be fine without Mojo or the Ascension doesn't mean that everyone shares that opinion, and the opinion of those who want to see them in the game is just as valid as yours. And besides, some of my favorite decks were of superstars who I could take or leave, on TV. (The best example of this for me was Big Poppa Pump. I find him boring as sin, but his ability is awesome.) Sometimes, it's worth taking a look at those guys, because maybe a great deck idea comes to mind for a guy who you otherwise don't have an interest in.

We all have a choice here: be happy new superstars are being made, or be annoyed that they aren't exactly the ones we would create given our druthers. Why, when the choice is between happiness and annoyance, would you actively choose to be annoyed?

I never meant any illwill with that post. My intentions were more so pointing out my personal fav which believe me i know my preference holds zero weight here, but more so pointing out there are superstars in far more demand like Asuka and Samoa Joe that i would think we should get beforehand again thats just my opinion.

In the end the end i will be happy as well all will with the fact that we’re getting another fabulous set from CREED and the rest of the gang.

Offline paulphh

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Don’t have a crystal ball, but I’ll guess:  Creed said not surprising , so, Carmella, Baron Corbin, Adam Rose, Naomi, Dana Brooke, and to finish Team Bella, Alicia Fox.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +490/-369
    • View Profile
Keith,

It's less about the date and more about the theme, "NXT Takeover" is the name of the set, so it's safe to say these are all Superstars new to the WWE (as opposed to nostalgia acts like most of V8), coming up through NXT.  I think they've all hit the main roster by now, in one form or another.

And the 'bigger' the name, the more likely their inclusion in this set.

CREED

Offline XtremeWRATH

• +4/-4
    • View Profile
Gives me more hope for Joe and Asuka :D

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +116/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
It will be a cold day in heck before Creed lets an Alicia Fox superstar even get to the point of playtesting
Timothy J. Rush, Permanent Iowa City Raw Deal Champion
Member of Team Niki Heber and Friends

Offline riothebeast

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
I want niaomi just for the shear fact that my buddy hates her so much he will literally leave if she is on the t.v. so i know what ill be playing for them free W's lol.

Offline Hogtrail

• +14/-3
    • View Profile
I want niaomi just for the shear fact that my buddy hates her so much he will literally leave if she is on the t.v. so i know what ill be playing for them free W's lol.

Will she be able to pack Butt Bump, or get a throwback version???
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +316/-213
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
It will be a cold day in heck before Creed lets an Alicia Fox superstar even get to the point of playtesting

I get what you're trying to say, Tim, but that's just factually incorrect. Ms. Fox in particular is hamstrung by her relevance (or lack thereof), but we don't discriminate against including Superstars because we don't like them, as we've previously indicated in this post.

I get that you're trying to be glib, and it's cool, I just want to be 100% clear.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +490/-369
    • View Profile
Daeva's totally right.

But like.. so is Tim.  "The Undefined Divas Champion", for example?  The best thing she did was get ratchet.   :D
(And hear Noam Dar say her name...)

Seriously, we'd make her if she gained relevance again, but there's so many new people doing so much more, having angles and catchphrases etc, that I doubt we'll get to miss Fox.

CREED

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
6 from EricRD + 2 from Creed:
Mojo Rawley
The Ascension
Emma
Tyler Breeze
Adrian Neville
Bo Dallas
Finn Balor
Shinsuke

With 6 slots left and the hint being PPVs around this period, here's the list of superstars narrowed down to the few PPVs around Feb 14 (NXT Arrival). I could be on to something, or totally off, but this is afterall just speculation! No points for guessing them wrong or right, but i did mark my guesses!

Royal Rumble (Jan 14): only El Torito surprisingly
Elimination Chamber (Feb 14): Curtis Axel, Cameron, Tamina Snuka, Zeb Colter?!?. There's Christian* too... so a legend version could be possible!
Wrestlemania (Apr 14): Los Matadores, Real Americans, Rybaxel, Aksana, Alicia Fox (would love to see her)*, Eva Marie*, Naomi*, Rosa Mendes, Yoshi Tatsu and Brad Maddox
NXT Takeover (May 14): Adam Rose, Camacho, Tyson Kidd*
NXT Takeover II (Sep 14): Lucha Dragons*, Bull Dempsey, Sylvester Lefort

I would actually pinpoint it around 2016 rather than 2014 since Nakamura's on the list (even if they started planning around '14). So I'll use NXT TakeOver: London/Dallas as my template for predictions:
1. Asuka
2. American Alpha
3. The Revival
4. Samoa Joe
5. Baron Corbin
6. Carmella

Offline The Kisser

• +0/-6
    • View Profile
I think the best thing to do for the People whom were Pipe Dreams Make Enforcer Cards kinda or like their Superstar Card and like 1 Superstar Specific kinda like how it was done w/ Promo Stars like Mae Young, Fab Moolah, Doink. Chris Masters, Bobby Heenan at least in the PRE-REVO Days.
So we get them DREAMS OF PIPE Superstars in the Game kinda like THE WHOLE ENFORCE CARD OF COLE/COACH/FINKLE????? As was either Jonathan Coachman or Howard Finkle gonna be Solo Superstars IDK but they got an Enforcer so you could group them by Stable like:
ENZO/Enzo&Cass/Big cASS
Alicia Fox/Emma/IDK another Female
Steve Blackman/Al Snow/Head Cheese

Also an IDEA w/ the Finn Thing you could Make both The Demon King and Finn Balor as Stars w/ the Same Ability and everything and add on the DEMON KING Card you can't pack stuff the Ref' The Balor Club like any card that has to do w/ AJ Styles/Finn Balor/Anderson/Gallows

IDK
As you could call The SET of Superstars whom were gonna be in it but never got made til now GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!! Kinda like how you did the Whole New LEGENDS of THE WWE SET.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +490/-369
    • View Profile
FYI - I said this before, but I guess it was missed.  We are NEVER making Enzo (with or without Cass) any more than we're supporting Benoit any further than he was.  Sorry, we have standards, and real world crimes don't sit well with us.

Also, we have so many new Superstars emerging that we wouldn't waste a second slot on another version of Bálor, we just have the means to play him as 'Balor Club' leather jacket guy, or the Demon (King).

DarkDestiny - you're on the right track, without reviewing I think you're the closest on the remaining names.

CREED

Offline LawnMowerMan

• +7/-11
  • Going in a scrub walking,out a champion.
    • View Profile
FYI - I said this before, but I guess it was missed.  We are NEVER making Enzo (with or without Cass) any more than we're supporting Benoit any further than he was.  Sorry, we have standards, and real world crimes don't sit well with us.

CREED

So does this mean Adam Rose is cancelled? Because didn’t he beat a woman or something?
Current Illinois Tournament Organizer.
Future Funk Con And Gencon World Champion!

Offline Eric RD

• +15/-1
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
We will be revealing two new Superstars that you will see in Virtual 9 on the Backlash Podcast tomorrow.