Author Topic: New player - Project afoot  (Read 893 times)

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
New player - Project afoot
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:25:37 AM »
When Raw Deal was first released my stepson, now 27, collected the cards. As a player of various CCG's I was desperate to get him to play the game, especially as I liked what I saw in from game system, but to no avail as he just wanted to collect. He completed the first two sets released before losing interest, selling the lot to a mate for £20.

With me being a massive wrestling fan, mainly indys, particularly chikara, but recently having rediscovered a love for WWE, thought I'd revisit this game, especially as my 15 year old son is a massive CCG geek, having played competitively since 4, winning his first MtG GPTQ at 8 and now helps run the clubs that I run for Pokemon tcg and MLP ccg.

Imagine my dismay then when I found out just how expensive product, even 2nd hand is to come by now, which is why it was a massive boon to find this place with downloadable, printable cards, both old (from when owned originally) and new (created since the games demise)

With this in mind I'm looking to knock together some decks of the current rosters from the WWE so between myself and Cam, we can re-create the bouts from recent PPV's.

That's a lot of decks to create and, despite me having played to a moderate level at numerous CCGs, this particular game I'm totally unfamiliar with, especially as I can't seem to find a downloadable rulebook anywhere.

Cutting to the chase though, once I do find a set of rules, I want to create lists for the current superstars but with certain proviso's, I'm aiming for thematic more than competitive, so no belt cards for people that don't own them, no managed by unless that's the case and no cards that use named wrestlers unless there is a relevance to the superstars deck that I'm building.

For a noob to the game this is quite a big undertaking so I'll be looking to post lists here for critiquing and improvement suggestions once up and running, but first, must go and find a rulebook.

Any suggestions where to find one.

The idea to do this came about as it's something Cam and I already do with the Filsinger Wrestling Game for Chikara
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:09:14 AM by GrinningDemon »

Offline riothebeast

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
Re: New player - Project afoot
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:32:16 PM »
Here is the link for the rules files http://teamcanadaonline.net///index.php/topic,7946.msg98299.html#msg98299 . Welcome to the game. If you have discord you should join the team canada raw deal group. There are always people on who can help you. And we play loads of games on lackey. Lackey is a must download it will help you play others and to get more experience with the game.

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
Thanks Dude - Just in the process of downloading/installing lackey - I'm guessing it's similar to Magic Workstation that I used to play Vs System on when I was playtesting for events

Offline riothebeast

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »
Mitch is almost always on. Hes a great source to get to know. Definitly the top player in the game in alot of our minds and world champion.

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
Same here, there's a bunch of us here happy and willing to help you out!! any idea who you're interested in building?
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline maskedllama

• +63/-61
  • Innovator of the 360 Reverse Diving Hoof Tackle
    • View Profile
Would anyone get a Barry Horowitz reference?
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
If you are a USA resident and desire a physical rule book for Raw Deal, let me know as I have a plethora of extras.  I would be willing to part with one or two. 

A fellow Chikara fan!!!  When you get settled in, I can point you in the direction of some really fun fantasy Chikara guys, and some Chikara reskins for Raw Deal Revolution.  However, I'll let you get used to the base game, before muddying the waters.

Also, sometime in the future, you should look into Supershow, which is a different wrestling card game with some great indy support and a few Chikara guys. 

But welcome to Raw Deal!  We are happy to have you.  I would volunteer you help you build, but I am 1-17 in my Raw Deal competitive play.  I am the Curt Hawkins of Raw Deal. 
LLucha LLamadore by Ceika

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:06:56 AM »
Same here, there's a bunch of us here happy and willing to help you out!! any idea who you're interested in building?
Will take a ppv show and then build whoever is on it. Got a stack of sleeves, deckboxes and card for printing on ready to go.

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 06:19:11 AM »
Will take a ppv show and then build whoever is on it. Got a stack of sleeves, deckboxes and card for printing on ready to go.

Oh boy with the Rumble this weekend....you gonna need MORE SLEEVES!!!!  :laugh: :laugh:
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »

Oh boy with the Rumble this weekend....you gonna need MORE SLEEVES!!!!  :laugh: :laugh:
time to work on the decks when i'm still getting head round the game, having not played since Premiere is more the issue  :D
but don't think i'll be sleeving up for a rumble though - (small voice in head screaming 'DO IT!!!')

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Would anyone get a Barry Horowitz reference?
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 01:20:41 PM »
I would volunteer you help you build, but I am 1-17 in my Raw Deal competitive play.  I am the Curt Hawkins of Raw Deal.
As I'm going for thematic, not competitive so much, as will just be playing with Cam, not too much of an issue. Looking to start building some time next week so feedback on posts will always be appreciated

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 09:58:29 AM »
Managed to get a set of rules as picked up a couple of old decks - started looking through the virtual cards, quality card  purchased for printing. Just a few questions.

1) No mention of Backstage cards in the rules can someone link me to an explanation of playing them, rules involved etc

2) The cards when downloaded come up a fraction smaller than actual cards - is this the norm now - or if not, what's the best way to resize

3) where can cards from original sets be downloaded from

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
1) Basically the rules are you can only have 1 copy of anything (most say 'Unique' anyway), they're revealed when you reveal your SS card (unless they say otherwise, of course), and a few special people can pack things (like Enforcers, or Paul Heyman's stipulations) if their Superstar says they can.

2) The download is fine, it's a print setting.  Have to make sure it doesn't try to change the margins and resize it when printing, but they are in fact the same size as the original printed cards.  :)

3) None exist, legal issues involved.  Originally printed cards are purchased only, sorry.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline riothebeast

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
Managed to get a set of rules as picked up a couple of old decks - started looking through the virtual cards, quality card  purchased for printing. Just a few questions.

1) No mention of Backstage cards in the rules can someone link me to an explanation of playing them, rules involved etc

2) The cards when downloaded come up a fraction smaller than actual cards - is this the norm now - or if not, what's the best way to resize

3) where can cards from original sets be downloaded from

A project was started by many players to resize and sort. If you join the discord channel we can hook you up with what you need.

I dont ever see them releasing original card images for good reason and obvious legal reason. I dont think alot of players would like there card prices to bottom out.

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
I dont ever see them releasing original card images for good reason and obvious legal reason. I dont think alot of players would like there card prices to bottom out.
Hadn't thought of that but considering what i paid for 2 decks and some stip cards over last couple of days, i see why

Offline riothebeast

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
Alot of the big money cards besides ss did get a remake which is helpful to get people in the game. Plus alot of the virtual superstars are powerful enough to not have to sink tons of money into older superstars.

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 05:57:00 AM »
Sorted out printing issue - cause i'd saved as a pdf which changed margins - thanks for heads up - working on lists for Strowman, Charlotte and Reigns as I reckon it's fairly safe to say they'll be featuring on main cards for a while :)

Offline GrinningDemon

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »
So how far have we got with this.....not very on the deck building front, however on the introducing new players to the game we've had blinding success.
Took 4 Premiere starters (so no Backlash decks etc) along to the Pokemon Club I run and the game went down like a house on fire with a load of the kids wanting to play in the future.
So I've gone away and started acquiring some collections on ebay and other bits from elsewhere so I can knock some starter decks together for them and get a scene going in the South East of England.
I've also managed to sort out getting some signed cards sourced from some of the wrestlers we've done art for in the past, so the kids will be pretty stoked re getting their hands on WWE signed stuff

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:57:30 PM by GrinningDemon »