Author Topic: Superstar Tiers  (Read 331 times)

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-3
    • View Profile
Superstar Tiers
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:40:11 PM »
I'm semi-new to Virtual and was wondering what superstars/builds are generally considered better than most? And perhaps who isn't so great.
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline skudz

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Superstar Tiers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 07:32:52 AM »
The game is very balanced.  Read through all of the shenanigans backstage cards they change some superstars abilities.  Also, there are a ton of backstage cards and new pre-match cards for old superstars that make them a lot better.

Offline DebuRaito

• +17/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 07:49:24 AM »
Virtual Classic is generally moving towards building more offensive decks as there are cards that punish you for not doing so (e.g. OSWM TB for not playing maneuver / hiac or cage against sponge deck)

Red walling seems to be frowned upon as well since there are quite a number of "cannot be respond/can only be reversed/cannot be reversed by..." etc and there's no way a defensive deck can cover it all.

Lastly, disruption in pre match phase is near to non existent (although a surprise Break You/Switcheroo might just caught some deck off guard). Basically just do your own thing and hope "your thing" is better than "your opponent's thing"

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:56:22 AM »
best advise I can give you is take your favorite wrestler (or old deck from the past) or play mechanic you like and give it a spin.... chain and volley are always good, blindside is semi-circle depending on the build and even a splash of precision is a good thing, plenty of "plan B" cards to get you started (Mean Gene, DLB tb, Back Throw and others), cards to protect you from the clutch/apply and the like from the old days (Carlito, D-Bag and even Old School Brawl), the game is soooo much more wide open now then it's ever been!
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
A few things of note: the RDPC tends not to leave superstars underpowered or overpowered for too long. If someone's bad, they'll get new cards or revisions so as to make them better. One great example is the Steiner Brothers. Their original ability allowed them to pack a very specific and limited set of maneuvers (all of which were listed on Back to Basics) in their Backstage Area, and gave them a 45 card Arsenal, but it didn't translate to an effective deck type. In the most recent revision, they were changed to an ability that makes their "suplex," "clothesline," and B2B maneuvers shoot and technical, which looks to be much more viable.

Similarly, a superstar who is too strong will get their cards modified, either through revisions or through Shenanigans, to help smooth out the top of the power curve. The People's Team is a great example. Their "Most Electrifying Champions" card originally reduced all the numbers in their ability by 1, which was insanely strong. In All Axxess, the nearly irreversable Dirty Low Blow TB and <R> Transition Hold, by themselves, would shut off their opponent's hand; one more maneuver, and the Backlash was gone, too. In the most recent revision, the card was rewritten; it no longer interacts with their ability, but gives them a benefit when their cards are reversed from hand or Backlash, to help them survive until they can stick enough maneuvers to trigger their ability for real.

There certainly are decks and cards that are stronger than others, but the best thing to do is to get a deck idea and go from there. Either find a wrestler you like, as Crasher suggested, and see what blends well with them, or decide on something you want to do and figure out whose ability, backstage, and prematch cards enable that the best.

I can also recommend reading through the Superstar Strategy Guides. They may not all be fully up to date (several were posted before the most recent revisions, and I can't say for sure that they don't include superstars who've been revised) but it's worth looking at how people think about given decks, and what they are and aren't good at.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline Drywall

• TCO Donor
  • +76/-69
  • 16-bit romantic, proprietor of Geek Street.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
There are a select few superstars I'd shy away from building for now but that list is very small.

A great starting point superstar that's fun with excellent support is Lex Luger. Dynamic is a very fun build; combine that with WCW Title Belt TB and you're golden. The deck can push through fortitude, search for maneuvers, recover, you name it.

Ezekiel Jackson is also amazing and very fun to build.
I'm the wind, baby.