Author Topic: 2017 Movies  (Read 595 times)

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
2017 Movies
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
There were some really good movies this year, though it seems like not as many overall.  Could just be my personal tastes of course, but figured a list of what I enjoyed might be a fun discussion as to what others liked.  Might also highlight some overlooked films.

In no particular order, I'd say my top 10 new films for last year were:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Spider-man: Homecoming
Wonder Woman
Logan
Get Out
The Accountant
The Nice Guys
Baby Driver

(Honorable mentions to: Split, It, Justice League, and Happy Death Day cuz I like Groundhog Day types, heh.)

Most the superhero/blockbuster stuff is obvious, but here's a couple you might have missed:

* The Accountant - title sounds boring, movie is not.  Basically a high-functioning autistic man (Ben Affleck) handles forensic accounting, but is also quite the bad-ass.  A fun story with lots of twists and turns, and way more action that the title suggests.

* The Nice Guys - Stars Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling, two PIs in 70s Los Angeles investigate a dead girl recently seen alive, leading to a much bigger scheme.  Lots of banter, some good action, I liked all the main characters.

* Baby Driver - I'm finding there's two types of people, those who love this movie, and those who haven't seen it.  :)  The plot is simple enough, but the execution is amazing.  Musical cues fit perfectly into the action, excellent cinematography, tons of small foreshadowing items, callbacks, good dialogue, great action... this one may well crack my All Time Top Ten.  Highest recommendation.

What did you see and like?

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-3
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
I've seen very few in theaters this year, but Dunkirk and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri are the definite standouts.
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
Dunkirk.... yeah, I was torn.  On the one hand, I dislike 'war movies', but on the other hand.. Christopher Nolan.  sigh

I've heard lots of good things, just not sure it's a subject matter I'm interested in, yanno?

Three Billboards had a weird title but got some acclaim, so I'll have to check it out!

CREED

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Online TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +117/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
Baby Driver is one of the most perfectly crafted movies.
Timothy J. Rush, Permanent Iowa City Raw Deal Champion
Member of Team Niki Heber and Friends

Offline Scotty

• +51/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 03:59:15 PM »
I managed to hit up the movies TWO times in 2017. I watched It and Thor: Ragnarok. I thoroughly enjoyed them all. Most of CreedP’s list is in my “to watch” list.

Offline Hogtrail

• +15/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
Dunkirk.... yeah, I was torn.  On the one hand, I dislike 'war movies', but on the other hand.. Christopher Nolan.  sigh

I've heard lots of good things, just not sure it's a subject matter I'm interested in, yanno?

Three Billboards had a weird title but got some acclaim, so I'll have to check it out!

CREED

Totally understand your stance on war films. That being said, Dunkirk always felt like more of a character piece than your classic "gung ho" war film. It may be the most edge of my seat I've been in a theater.

And looking at your list, I'm mot sure Three Billboards would exactly fit your palate. It's a quirky, slow burn of a film. GREAT performances, but little in terms of real excitement.
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Online TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +117/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »
Some additional movies of the year from me:

Blade Runner 2049 - visually the most stunning movie of the year, for me. And, generally, just an amazing piece of movie.

The Big Sick - on the opposite end of the 'scale' spectrum. Great little romantic comedy that played it very real... because it was based on real events.

Offline niiiiick

• +16/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »
Only made it to 2 movies as well...daddys home 2 (puke in my mouth but it was for my works holiday party) and Star wars, which I absolutely loved, it currently rivals empire strikes back as my favorite SW of all time
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:58:28 PM by niiiiick »

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +492/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:53:33 PM »

Totally understand your stance on war films. That being said, Dunkirk always felt like more of a character piece than your classic "gung ho" war film. It may be the most edge of my seat I've been in a theater.

And looking at your list, I'm mot sure Three Billboards would exactly fit your palate. It's a quirky, slow burn of a film. GREAT performances, but little in terms of real excitement.
Interesting, if Dunkirk is more about the characters than about all the dying and 'horrors of war', I'll have to give it a try.

I'm fine with a slow burn as long as it goes somewhere.  Probably THE worst movie I saw this year in the theater was The Snowman.  I was thinking kind of Hannibal Lechter-ish cat-and-mouse, it was all just snow and smoking and oh yeah, there's a story every now and then.  Slow burn froze and went out.   :D

But if there's a point to it all, that's worth a watch in my book.

As to Big Sick, I'm less interested in movies about real events generally speaking.  I like my entertainment fake, the real world's ugly enough already, heh.

CREED

Online Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +241/-240
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 06:21:28 PM »
Some movies I enjoyed that aren't the big ones of the year:
Split
The Hitmans Bodyguard
A Cure for Wellness
Life
The Void

Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion

Online TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +117/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 07:26:00 PM »
Oh man, The Void was such a good horror flick! That one was a pleasant messed up surprise :D