Author Topic: Why NOT Gen Con???  (Read 690 times)

Online CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
Why NOT Gen Con???
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:20:23 AM »
I don't mean this to be a slam on the Funk-Con tournament and the other ones in the area (as I've said elsewhere, I'd LOVE to have a big once a year event in NJ aside of these other cool Raw Deal events).....but it seems to me there's a lot more buzz and excitement for this con "West of Chicago" then there is for the annual trip to Indianapolis......a nd I'm just wondering "what makes that event more interesting or appealing to the people that are thinking of going to this and not Gen Con six weeks later??? This isn't intended as a flame war of this event vs Indy (I'm planning/hoping on both)....but I am curious into the decision process on both for people, and if there's something we can do to make Gen Con more appealing for people to come and join us at!
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline Scotty

• +50/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
Re: Why NOT Gen Con???
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
1) Cost.

We can fill a car with 4 guys and the return trip will be less than $200/person.

2) Crowds.

Smaller event, kind of ties back to #1. Lower hotel fees, lower event fees, less going on, fewer events.

3) Virtual Classic Only.

It sounds crazy to drive down for just one tournament, but our area currently only plays VC. Gencon focuses on 3 other formats, none of which we have experience in (yet).

4) if I’m going to Gencon, I’m going to pre-releases, I’m going for exclusive content, I’m going for events that have wayyy bigger prizing (no offence to Vela and Co) but Marvel Legendary has an event where you can win $10,000!

Online CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
none taken and this was the main reason I posted the topic, I was curious to see the thought process (I treat Gen Con as my one week vacation), and I wanted to see why people might prefer the smaller events, I am still quite curious to see the turnout for this versus the championships in Indy this year

does the nXt format becoming an official "thing" affect your choice in any way shape or form?

Offline riothebeast

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
Honestly alot of the players who even go to gencon live in the area. Plus we have 20 players plus. The real question is why are we all driving to gencon for the world tournament when at a locals we can pull in more attendance? Also its not that we dont know how to play the other formats its we mostly all agree revo is no fun for any of us and all axxess is to big of a mess that's why we dont play it.

Offline riothebeast

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »
The NXT decision makes little to no sense. They need to eliminate a format or allow proxies of all cards. 4 different decks is asking a whole lot from an ever dwindling card pool and making it to exclusive.

Online CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
I agree with most everything you say, but this part here:

Honestly alot of the players who even go to gencon live in the area

Last year we had more out of towners than Indy folk, I think it was just Scott H, Steven and Jared who were the locals.
the out of towners were myself, Laflamme, Drew, Mitch (the Undertaker guy, I forgot his name), John and I know I'm forgetting people, it's more of a vacation-style commitment to go to Indy, and that's fair, an underlying part of me asking is more of "what CAN we do to make Gen Con more appealing to get people to come?"

We do offer exclusive VC, VAA, nXt and V-Rev tournaments over the weekend as well

Offline Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +240/-240
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:43:44 AM »
Jake is the "Undertaker Guy" aka The Softcore Legend
Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion

Online CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
Jake is the "Undertaker Guy" aka The Softcore Legend

thank you....my brain is toast from sitting here for 3 hours now watching this machine back up and the guy who's machine it is killing the process by going into his 100,000 emails in outlook :p

I should have went to the Gen Con thread.... duh.....

So here's the breakdown:

Locals:
Rated SRH
Jarod

Not locals:
John P
Vick
Scott B
Jake
Mackie
Laflamme
Drew
Mitch
Jokerfish

I have NO idea  :laugh: :
Colin
Anthony

even if I'm off by one and the two "no idea's" are local.....it's still a majority who travels in

(keep in mind I am NOT dismissing the other issues and complaints, which are VERY valid, but this one I had to shoot down because I knew it wasn't true)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:53:31 AM by CRASHER »

Offline riothebeast

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »
To make it more appealing would be hard. The cost for little to nothing and the big cluster of people with nowhere to park is not appealing. I guess if somehow you were able to get far better prizing or a way to compansate the cost. Really though if we want to try and beat mitch could just do it here lol.

Online CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »
To make it more appealing would be hard. The cost for little to nothing and the big cluster of people with nowhere to park is not appealing. I guess if somehow you were able to get far better prizing or a way to compansate the cost. Really though if we want to try and beat mitch could just do it here lol.

Yeah the cost is really out of our hands, we charge the bare minimum that Gen Con demands for our events and have zero control over the cost of con badges and lodging (though I speak from experience if you drive and don't mind staying ten miles or so away you can get some good deals on rooms and the parking pass), but it's not like any of us are really making a dime off the excursion either

Offline KD8ESU

• +16/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 12:56:25 PM »
To dig in further for Gen Con (for now, if you want to know some rumblings about what it looks like it's going, we can talk elsewhere), the truth is that Indy has hosted Worlds for the past decade.  Raw Deal at Gen Con is established as something that will get between 10 and 25 unique people every year; I don't know if anywhere else has that consistency to fall on right now.

That's not to say don't run elsewhere.  If the rumblings are more than heresay, it may be needed.

On top of that, any time guys can get together to game and have fun should never be scoffed at
hXi

YOUR 2014 GenCon Supershow Champion

One-half of **** *** Pay, 2015 GenCon Supershow Tag Team Champions.

Online CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
On top of that, any time guys can get together to game and have fun should never be scoffed at

Totally agreed!! I was trying to see what would entice more people to come to Gen Con and hopefully make it more a celebration of the game we all still love after all :)

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +482/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
Hell, I'd go if I could!  I haven't been to GenCon in 10 years, and sure I'd spend time wandering around checking other things as well, but at least it's a set date, easy to plan for, etc.

Smaller places are fun too, ACMT has been a blast in the past, but there's so much to do at GenCon that it's an overall experience as well as Worlds.  That's just for myself, though, my 2¢ and all that... :)

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline riothebeast

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
Apparently i have been told i am bashing you guys. Really not meaning that. Id really like to see the event get huge. But i feel adding more formats really makes the event more exclusive to many players who would want to play in it but have a limited card pool.

Offline Theren

• +15/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
The NXT decision makes little to no sense. They need to eliminate a format or allow proxies of all cards. 4 different decks is asking a whole lot from an ever dwindling card pool and making it to exclusive.

I thought the way I understood the discussion, was that they were talking about dropping All Axxess for NXT format. I could easily be remembering wrong. However, it can still be done fairly easily with 2 decks be it either the 4 formats or just AA or NXT.
Clear the Way into a Pop You One. Why? Cause I want my card.

Offline rated SRH

• +28/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »
Apparently i have been told i am bashing you guys. Really not meaning that. Id really like to see the event get huge. But i feel adding more formats really makes the event more exclusive to many players who would want to play in it but have a limited card pool.

You are allowed to swap cards between decks. There hasn't been a rule saying you can't. I'm sure Drew wouldn't object to allowing a few extra minutes to card swap.
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Scotty

• +50/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 06:51:35 PM »

does the nXt format becoming an official "thing" affect your choice in any way shape or form?

Quite honestly, yes. It’s another format that would need to be learned. I didn’t cast a vote in the poll because I’ve never been to a Gencon, but this “change” makes it even less likely that I’ll attend to participate in Worlds.

Curious, is there any other card game out there that requires 4 different decks for four different formats in one single tournament?

I’m very interested to see what Funk Con draws in terms of numbers and how it will affect Worlds moving forward.

Offline skudz

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
Gen con would cost me way too much money to attend, also considering I would have to print a ton of extra cards due to the other formats which adds into my cost.  I'd be more likely to go to a tournament that's a little closer to home and one format.

Offline riothebeast

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
One of the biggest appeals to funk con is it was to curb the cost of going to gencon and having a big event for players who dont enjoy playing AA or Revo. Instead of being forced to do what nobody wants to do they can play the format they like and recieve cool prizes and have superstars at the event. I get gencon is meant to be the big event thats been that way for years and not bashing that but funk con is a way to get the game open so its not exclusive to a small minority of players.

Online CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 11:19:12 AM »
it sounds like there's a small misunderstanding about the Raw Deal presence at Gen Con, yes there's the championship day Saturday, but there are pure VC, and pure VREV as well as AA and one nXt event on the Thursday and Friday at the Con, and I think at least one person played in the side games and didn't play on Saturday, so you can still get your Raw Deal fix and enjoy the other elements of the Con (you know like becoming the Tag Team Champions in Super Show) and other things going on there, there's plenty of time and other things....as well as Gen Con being the Wrestlemania of gaming con's aside of "just" the Raw Deal stuff, we do try to offer enough for the crazy ones like me who bring 11 decks out to have a place to use them, but there is very much a spot for the "I just wanna play VC, and hang out" crowd too :)

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +482/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »
One of the biggest appeals to funk con is it was to curb the cost of going to gencon and having a big event for players who dont enjoy playing AA or Revo. Instead of being forced to do what nobody wants to do
If 'nobody' was playing those formats, they wouldn't be held.  People play them, so 'nobody' is inaccurate.

If you mean 'the people I know want to play VC', that's fine, and nothing wrong with holding a VC event.  If AA/Revo aren't popular in your area, no worries.  But the fact is, there IS turnout for the other formats, and people do play them.  Just to clarify.

I get gencon is meant to be the big event thats been that way for years and not bashing that but funk con is a way to get the game open so its not exclusive to a small minority of players.

Also nothing wrong with holding other events, that's how it used to be.  I miss the days of regional qualifiers, heh.  Again though, 'small minority of players' basically covers those who can afford to travel to play Raw Deal, whether it's GenCon or Funk Con.  Some of the same people talking about traveling to that event are also those who travel to GC.

Ultimately it's a 'Coke or Pepsi' type situation, neither is bad or wrong, both are just different versions of the same idea, playing Raw Deal in a tournament setting.  There's not a lot left, not compared to what their once was for major Raw Deal tournaments, so it's always nice to see more events encouraged - especially for a game that is TEN YEARS out of print, haha.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline LawnMowerMan

• +6/-8
  • Going in a scrub walking,out a champion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »
Im glad Funk Con is being brought up I absolutely love it. :)

I decided to run a raw deal event at Planet Funk Con solely on the purpose to thank all of my local players for attending my local events for the past year also I can walk to the venue in about 10 minutes. Chicago isn't that fsr from the venue at all i can drive to chicago in 2 1/2 hours and that's a maximum. It was only proposed originally to my local players but I was convinced to reach out and invite all players from around the united states to join us. I started our facebook group 2 years ago and didnt actually start running events until a year later because I was told by other people who had quit that I wouldn't get anyone interested yet here I am with at least 6-12 (12 being i think the most I had) show up to play. Some new and some old. And as much as I see Rio get bashed he drives nearly 3 hours to come to most events we have just to play along with Siphoreth (sorry james dont know how to spell that right off hand) I even took it a step further for them so that we could try and have a guest show up and we are currently close to closing the deal on it. I did all this just for fun. I wasnt looking to replace Worlds but as a cool kinda "road to worlds." Event. Virtual Classic was just the most common thing played here. I don't get much time to travel thats why Ive never been to worlds but Im doing my best to go next year. I've been trying to play mitch as much as possible on lackey to make sure im at the top of my game for the events. and if he plans to attend Planet Funk Con well he will need to prepare himself....

For DELETION!!!!!!!

But I do look forward to seeing you guys at Gencon or Fubk Con.
Current Illinois Tournament Organizer.
Wanna learn to make your own customs cards at makeplayingcards.co m? Follow the link below.
https://youtu.be/DRt3Zi3pMRE

Lawnmowerman for 2018 Gencon World Champion

Offline VelaCards

• TCO Donor
  • +158/-127
  • #WWERAWDEAL #Supershow
    • View Profile
    • VelaCards Official Web Site
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 06:11:14 PM »

Ouch! That one stung a bit.

VC
- For all your Supershow & RAW Deal needs!
- Team NBD
- Follow us on Twitter @VelaCards (Damn you D2!)

Online niiiiick

• +14/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
Personally, have 4 kids and a GF who works every other weekend, so even if Gen con fell on the right weekend...id be banking up a lot of credit there just to get the weekend. Plus add in cost and driving there (4-5 hours isn't too bad) as well as preparing 3-4 decks for the events (id for sure play in worlds maybe others) vs being able to play locally vs some of the best like mitch, jake, seph, etc already and that's not counting lackey...i just don't have enough motivation to go to gen con. I'm trying to make it work at least once because id  love to experience it one time and meet some of you in person, but it's difficult for me. Hell , even back in the day, the furthest i ever went from the quad cities was to north liberty so I was never much of a traveller for the game, but again, locally I think we had one of the best play groups in the US.

Maybe experiencing gen con would change my mind, just hard for someone like me to find the time and money to do it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:54:38 PM by niiiiick »

Offline riothebeast

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 09:55:24 PM »
Personally, have 4 kids and a GF who works every other weekend, so even if Gen con fell on the right weekend...id be banking up a lot of credit there just to get the weekend. Plus add in cost and driving there (4-5 hours isn't too bad) as well as preparing 3-4 decks for the events (id for sure play in worlds maybe others) vs being able to play locally vs some of the best like mitch, jake, seph, etc already and that's not counting lackey...i just don't have enough motivation to go to gen con. I'm trying to make it work at least once because id  love to experience it one time and meet some of you in person, but it's difficult for me. Hell , even back in the day, the furthest i ever went from the quad cities was to north liberty so I was never much of a traveller for the game, but again, locally I think we had one of the best play groups in the US.

Maybe experiencing gen con would change my mind, just hard for someone like me to find the time and money to do it.

Ect? Is that how you spell my name? Lol i feel ya brotha im in the same boat as you family always has to come first. Id like to go to gencon just to say i did at least once. I would like to get seph to go though sometime so he can finally get that big W under his belt between him and mitch i rely on them alot to help me improve. They both know every card in the game and is great to play against mitch anyway I can play seph in person any day. But to go against mitch and try to pull off a win is awesome even though it has yet to happen lol.