Author Topic: The New Foundation, Springboard, and Strikes  (Read 422 times)

Offline MonkeyLord13

• +10/-1
    • View Profile
The New Foundation, Springboard, and Strikes
« on: December 08, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
Trying to decipher timing:

The Hart Dynasty: "...discard 1 card and play 1 card from hand face-down ... choose 1 Set-up card in your Backstage Area, and your played card gains the text and title of the chosen card ..."

The New Foundation: "... your non-Unique non-High-Risk maneuvers without 'reversed' in the text are -4F when played after a face-down card..."

Springboard(TB): "...it is instead considered a High Risk maneuver played after the card titled Irish Whip."

I use the Hart Dynasty's ability and play a card as Springboard. I want to follow it with, say, Running Clothesline (TB) (printed 12F, but per its text -7F when played after Irish Whip). How much Fortitude do I need? I understand I get the -7F discount from the Clothesline, but is it a Strike or High Risk for purposes of The New Foundation?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:02:12 PM by MonkeyLord13 »

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 3 Judge, Old Man of the Mountain
  • Administrator
  • +320/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
Re: The New Foundation, Springboard, and Strikes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »
It's a Strike. A card isn't "played" until after it's met the Fortitude check, unless the effect that's being considered Directly affects the Fortitude check (like Precision maneuvers). Springboard's Strike -> High Risk conversion doesn't influence the Fortitude check directly (only coincidentally), so it isn't applied until after the card is considered legal. You can Springboard into Running Clothesline TB at 1F with New Foundation.
Nate Weiss, Retired Dealer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.