Author Topic: NXT: Wargames [SPOILERS]  (Read 774 times)

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
NXT: Wargames [SPOILERS]
« on: November 18, 2017, 09:20:57 PM »
WOW.  I renewed my subscription for this show (admittedly early for the crazy rebooked TLC), and it delivered!

* Lars Sullivan d. Kassius Ohno
This was a short match, Ohno brought the fight to Lars but Sullivan is another BIG MONSTER and was just too much.  'Worst' match of the night, only in the sense of being ranked last, but perfectly acceptable.

* Aleister Black d. Velveteen Dream
Arguably the best match of the night!  They had a good story coming in, the match and story delivered way beyond expectations, and kept my interest the whole time.  Definitely one of the highlights of this show.

* Ember Moon d. Sane / Cross / Royce - New NXT Women's Champion
This was a fast sprint, everyone stayed busy, good spots.  In a nice touch, Asuka came in the ring to present Ember with the title and hugged her.  Not great, but really good and fun to watch.

* Andrade 'Cien' Almas d. Drew McIntyre - New NXT World Champion
Almas seemed to be wasted months ago, but with his new manager, it's brought him a freshness to his character.  Good back and forth match, though unfortunately it appears Drew was injured on the finish (top rope DDT) as his arm caught the rope.  Triple H said on the post-show interview that it appears to be a torn bicep. :(

* Undisputed Era d. Sanity & AOP/Strong in WarGames
Let's get this out of the way right off.  The changes made sense.  No roof = top of the cage spot, plus leaving means you lose, so there's not really a downside.  Shark cages = one team doesn't obliterate someone outside the cage with whatever weapons they bring, since there's no DQ.  Sending in teams instead of dudes = speeding up the first half of the match, since it can't be won during that time anyway.

This match DELIVERED, far beyond my expectations.  Sanity was the last team in (UE went first) and brought in weapons, including the crowd-requested tables, heh.  Lots of chaotic spots, clever moves and uses, VERY impressive stuff from Killian Dane of Sanity, including a Coast-to-Coast from the big man.  Everyone looked good, it was wild and intense, my only complaint was that after everything, the final move - running knee to a guy holding a chair - seemed a bit tame by comparison.  Still, great overall, very well done.

And yes, there was blood (though not intentional, it appeared).

Very strong show, NXT delivers yet again, and makes SurSer seem like it will pale in comparison, heh.

• The good:  Mainly Wargames and Black/Dream
  • The bad:    Not much, really, even the least impressive stuff was still good
  • The ugly:   Drake Wuertz's (Younger's) tan, it looked Trump-ish and he seemed to be on the screen way too much for a ref, making it more obvious.  :D

Bottom line - watch this if you can.

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover - Full Release Available Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline rated SRH

• +40/-15
  • Welcome to the Rated SRH Era!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: NXT: Wargames [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 03:28:59 AM »
Glad to see the Creed Report is back :-) hopefully you do one for SurSer.
Your 2018 WWE Raw Deal World Champion!!!!!!!

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:04:30 AM »
I didn't watch it, was at my friend's house showing him this show instead.  :)

From what I read of the SurSer results, it sounds even more pointless than what I was expecting, and quite counterproductive. Still cancelling my subscription tomorrow.

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover - Full Release Available Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline maskedllama

• +64/-61
  • Innovator of the 360 Reverse Diving Hoof Tackle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:17:09 AM »
I very much enjoyed the show. I had never seen a war games match before. The concept just didn't interest me. But I got excited for this one and wow it paid off. Black versus dream was very intense and really told a good story. And War Games was simply train wreck wonderful. But in all the right ways.  I know I am repeating Creed's points but honestly the show is so good that it doesn't hurt to say it twice. 

In the interest of saying something different, I was very surprised that given the many recent releases from TNA, we did not see anyone in the crowd from there. Also, I really wanted to see Ember Moon attack Asuka.
LLucha LLamadore by Ceika

Offline Drywall

• TCO Donor
  • +77/-70
  • 16-bit romantic, proprietor of Geek Street.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:09:32 AM »
Alexander Wolfe seemed to gash his head open pretty bad on that table spot, YIKES.
I'm the wind, baby.