Author Topic: Brian & Mike's Excellent Excursion, Volume II (Nothing Bogus Edition)  (Read 88 times)

Offline Queensryche

• +2/-1
    • View Profile
Today I traveled up to Randolph, NJ to take part in a prerelease tournament for the Final Fantasy TCG. It was the prerelease for Opus IV, which is hitting in less than a week. Gamers Heaven has already held two, and the last one is tomorrow, which I am attending. However, after BigPimpin (again, the Brian in this thread's title) came down for the Pauper Tournament at GH which I previously told you all about, I told him I'd get him back and come up his way for a tournament. That happened today, when I went to All-In-One Collectibles in Randolph for the event.

Brian and I got there early and we played a game. I also played a game with his friend John Soto before we began the event. The tournament was a sealed tournament, with us being given nine packs of Opus IV, along with a special prerelease version of the Cloud found in Opus IV. We cracked open our packs and got down to business. In opening my packs, I got the following Legendaries (Ultra Rares):

2 Raiden (1 Foil, 1 Non-Foil)
1 Kefka (Foil)
1 Caius
1 Lightning

The two Raidens I pulled were in the same pack, by the way. As far as I can remember that's the first time I've ever gotten the same Legendary twice in a pack. After looking at my cards, after trying to come up with some coherent strategy, I just went "Screw it" and threw together a Fire/Ice/Lightning deck with all the best cards I pulled. Then it was off to three rounds of play. As it was, Brian and I did much better this go-round. My matches:

Round 1
I ended up facing Dan Covsillos, the guy who won the FFTCG Petit Cup event in NYC a couple months ago. So it was going to be a tough match. As it was, we traded damage until I came to a critical juncture: I had Raiden and a forward in my hand and I was on four damage. Do I dump my hand to play Raiden and clear his board? Or do I play more cautiously and play the forward? I chose the latter, and it cost me. Dan proceeded to get rid of both my forwards and then hit me for the last two points of damage he needed. Afterwards, I revealed I had Raiden in my hand. He asked if I minded hearing his take on what I should've done. I never object to that, so I told him to go ahead. He then said I should've played Raiden. I would've cleared his board and would've won because he would've had no way to recover. Lesson learned.

Round 2
This was against a local player whose name I forget. This match ended up going much better for me. He hit me early, but I was able to get back in and eventually level things. Then I drew Raiden again. Knowing to not waste the opportunity, the next turn, I nuked his board and attacked. While he was able to prevent damage from being done, he expended all of his resources, and the next turn conceded because he had no way to stop me. That got me to 1-1 heading into the last round.

Round 3
Against another local player. I believe her name was Rebecca. I ended up controlling this one from start to finish. Just as she would establish a position, I'd immediately undermine it. The deck I threw together worked wonderfully. I draw Raiden again, nuke her board, game over. I finish 2-1.

For my efforts, I came in sixth place, which was good enough to earn an alternate art Kain promo. Brian did even better: he finished third and picked up a promo as well. I don't know which one he got though.

After that, I went into some constructed play with Brian and John. It ended up being very helpful, because I finally got in significant play time with my recently-built decks and managed to deepen my understanding of them and get how they're supposed to operate.

Overall, it was a fantastic day out. I was able to fulfill my promise to Brian to come by his way, and in the process I got to play a bunch of FFTCG, get some Opus 4 early, and then win a promo on top of it. I want to thank All-In-One Collectibles for hosting this event and for being a fantastic venue to play at. Also, they sprang for pizza for us, which was awesome. It was nice to meet John and play some games with him. Finally, it was great to see you again Brian. I'll let you know when the big monthly at GH is occurring in January.

To conclude this post, I have some pictures. These are photos of players holding the cards we were happiest to get.

John Soto with his foil Onion Knight

Steve Molnar (A local who'd come down to GH for the Pauper Tournament) with his Opus IV Lightning

Brian with his foil Opus IV Lightning

Me, dual-wielding my Raidens
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:56:37 AM by Queensryche »
A man once asked "Are Harry Winks and Eric Dier better than Jack Wilshere?"
The answer is "Well, yeah."