Author Topic: Virtual Revolution Superstar Statistics  (Read 435 times)

Offline ironteeth

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
Virtual Revolution Superstar Statistics
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »
First of all, a huge thank you to Keith and Joshua (stucket on TCO) for introducing and hosting the Revolution tournaments here in Singapore, it has been a great journey thus far and looking forward to more great Revolution tournaments!

Since we started the VR tournaments here in Singapore, we had a grand total of 17 tournaments, and below are some statistics

General Stats
total no. of tournaments: 17
total no. of matches: 611
total no. of Superstars used: 55
Most used Superstars: The Shield & Rey Mysterio (5 tournaments), BWO, Tajiri, Matt Striker (4 tournaments)
Superstars not used before: Kane, Edge, Balls Mahoney, Kevin Thorn, Marcus Cor Von, The Rock, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Brothers of Destruction, Raven

Personally, i think the most used superstars are those with a more straightforward ability, other than BWO, which is an honest surprise. But looking at the latest tournament, which DebuRatio won with a BWO, perhaps it is a superstar one should have a closer look at.

Amongst the superstars not used, with the exception of a Storyline Edge and The Rock, they do not have a straightforward built, or else, there are Superstars that can do a better job than them (i.e Hogan vs Piper, King Booker vs Raven, Test vs Marcus Cor Von).

Win Rates (for Superstars who were played in at least 2 tournament)

Top 5
Rhyno - P13 W10 Rate: 77%
Test - P13 W10 Rate: 77%
Undertaker - P11 W8 Rate: 73%
Jerishow - P10 W7 Rate: 70%
Ric Flair - P11 W7 Rate: 64%

Honestly, I never knew Rhyno could be that strong, until i saw Joewi's built in the VR Battleground 2017 Tournament (last tourney of cycle 2) and realized that he can easily hit an Assault: Colossal by turn two and completely obliterate an opponent. Test also has the same ability as Rhyno to hit a colossal in turn two, and it seems that hitting a Colossal as early as possible is the a really strong strategy in the Revo format.

Undertaker's non-Storyline ability is a dangerous and very useful one and his amazing support cards makes him all the more better. His Storyline ability, has been used by Keith in the VR No Mercy 2017 Tournament (2nd tourney of cycle 3), with A New Breed Faction to make Extremes hard to reverse.

Bottom 5
Matt Hardy - P12 W2 Rate: 17%
Jack Swagger - P9 W2 Rate: 22%
Goldberg - P8 W2 Rate: 25%
Great Khali - P11 W3 Rate: 27%
Big Show - P10 W3 Rate: 30%

Follow-ups deck are amongst the hardest to play, which could explain why Matt and Jack are at the bottom two. Furthermore,  the built for Matt and Swagger are more challenging compared to other Follow-up decks like Jeff and Kofi. Matt faces some difficulties replenishing his hand, while Jack can only search for a Follow-up after successfully playing a maneuver. I'll definitely have to take a look at Matt and Swagger again to see if there are better ways to utilize their cards and abilities.

Great Khali's Storyline and Big Show, for me, is too passive of a built, although Khali's non-Storyline ability does have some potential. Not sure as to why Goldberg is performing badly, though. He has a good ability then can set up his hand nicely and pretty strong support cards.

There is just a short analysis based on past tournament results on the strongest, weakest, most popular, and least popular superstars. If you have read till the end, thank you so much for your time, and hopefully, it provides some insight into the Revolution superstars.

I would also like to thank the TCO team for the continuous hard work and dedication in making new superstars for all players, be it Revolution or Classic. It has provided us with many new ways to play, new styles to experiment with, and most importantly, lots more fun playing Raw Deal.

Till then, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:22:28 AM by ironteeth »
Join the <R>evolution!

Offline Scotty

• +50/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Revolution Superstar Statistics
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »
Awesome post! I love insights like this!

We're just looking at getting into Revo, so it's nice to know that Follow-Up decks may not be the easiest way to start. Maybe I'll keep track of something like this to continue to add on to your insights.

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:26:10 AM »
I'm legit surprised that Big Show is so bad in an environment where Test and Rhyno are so good.  I figured he'd be a hard counter for those guys.  I guess he could be bad vs. the field.
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +12/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
Thanks Roy for the wonderful insight! Pretty sure your excels would have wow-ed everyone even more :)

But yeah, after 3 cycles of playing, we all did come to certain group consensus over the current game play. New players can possibly use these insights to further make their first step into the format, while game designers can also use this as a small sampling to see how the current game play and future game play can be shaped.

1. Hardcore Hell and 4ever No Mercy are still very lethal cards, even with the existence of the PPVs. Definitely still viable to be played, but certain superstars like Tajiri will abuse Hardcore Hell, while Shield would abuse No Mercy. The best way to counter this is just to pack both PPvs.

2. Defense is still the preferred way of reversal. When VR5 just came out, Good Luck With That did see more play as players wanted to test out its viability. Of the 38 decks that participated in cycle 2 tourneys, around 6 to 8 used GLWT. However, Defense simply cover much more area compared to the GLWT reversals, and No Big Deal + Luck Is On My Side isn't a strong enough cover for what defense cards can offer. At the end of cycle 3 with 34 decks, less than 5 decks came with GLWT. That said, GLWT is still the best alternative to Defense cards which allows more variety in reversals and really created more scenarios to be played around.

3. New players have little difficulty in entering the format. Due to the removal of unwritten rules like chain heat volley etc, players only has to focus on the core aspect of the cards they see. The shortened Pre-match and immediate resolution also made the game smoother and more quick paced. This reduces the gap between experienced players and new players. The simplicity of card texts also meant that new players don't have to devote as much time to understanding what a card does.

4. On the hind side of point 3, the more experienced players would see a recycling of the same tactics applied to most decks. Most decks contain Scissors Hold and/or Double Leg Lock Crab for recycling while all Ring Psychology Leg decks would pack the same maneuvers because there is only a few to choose from. Those are not necessarily a bad thing, but more variety would allow for a more exciting game play. And if things get complicated, we can always create different formats (eg. Pre-VR5 or Post VR5 etc), depending on the play group.

5. While most of the superstars have easier to mid-tier difficulty of playing, there are some superstars that seem to lack the extra flair or edge from the rest. Matt Hardy is one of the better examples where it does not have a proper advantage, be it in his ability to draw cards or his pre-match support to ignore follow-up. Storyline Kane is another example where the ability does not make sense when it stands alone. Tazz without his mid-match support would be regulated to a weaker superstar whose protection covers only Cores. It would be best to avoid such superstars that do not have a clear way or one trick ponies. Superstars that have relative success in tourneys usually 1. find a way to add cards into their hand or 2. hit painful maneuvers early in the game. Superstars that fall under number 1 are Undertaker, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Kurt Angle and Shield. Superstar that fall under number 2 are Test, Rhyno, or anyone that plays Ring Psychology Leg.

To summarize, Virtual has done Revo a big favour in balancing the game play and introducing new elements into the game. We definitely need to clock in more games to fully understand how each superstar can be utilised, but we also hope that new players can join us in that journey. With support from the community and TCO designers, I believe we have many good years and numerous more successful tournaments ahead.

Thanks for the read and I hope it was informative! Until next time, onward with the <R>evolution!

Offline ironteeth

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
@ Scotty, looking forward to your insights on the revo games too after a few tournaments!

@BigPimpin Somehow Big Show only appeared against Test in one tournament and never faced Rhyno... and yeap, it fared poorly against the rest of the field

@Keith, yeap agree with you on the points you brought up, and Virtual has indeed help balance the Revo environment and introduce many more ways to play it
Join the <R>evolution!

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 04:26:18 AM »
@ Scotty, looking forward to your insights on the revo games too after a few tournaments!

@BigPimpin Somehow Big Show only appeared against Test in one tournament and never faced Rhyno... and yeap, it fared poorly against the rest of the field

@Keith, yeap agree with you on the points you brought up, and Virtual has indeed help balance the Revo environment and introduce many more ways to play it

Did Big Show at least beat Test, or did Test still win?
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +12/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 04:31:11 AM »
Nope. That Test went 7-0 for that tourney, beating Big Show as well. Big show wouldn't have an advantage if Test went Extreme too actually.