Author Topic: HYPE! FFTCG Opus IV  (Read 575 times)

Offline Queensryche

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
HYPE! FFTCG Opus IV
« on: November 09, 2017, 05:27:43 AM »
More spoilers are coming out for Opus IV, and what I just saw got me HYPED.

FINAL FANTASY VI LOVE! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

My initial thoughts:

Setzer - Pricey, but being able to search for an FFVI character and his mini-Rinoa ability make him useful
Sabin - WOW. THAT is going to see TONS of play in aggro decks. The first ability alone is amazing. His second and third abilities are more situational, but I could see Rising Phoenix enabling you to set up a quick board wipe.
Gau - .......Eh. Kinda expensive, and I am not sure you'll ever get to use Rage all that often.
Ceterum censeo Chelsea delendam esse

Online BigPimpin

• +275/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
Re: HYPE! FFTCG Opus IV
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 06:26:24 AM »
Setzer is the new Steiner, except minus the EX burst (which is significant)

I'm a huge fan of Tama - I could see an Earth/Fire deck where Sabin is cheated into play when a character would be otherwise broken.  But in mono-Fire 4F 10K is nothing to sneeze at either.  One of the principles of the deck that won the East Coast Petit Cup was the Fire backup that added 2K to any forward and then smacking people with it.

Gau isn't there for Rage, he's there for cheaping monster abilities.  So far we know of:

1. Pop Bomb for 4K, play Gau, pop Bomb for 4k again.
2. Play a cheap minion (the Water Knight that is +1K for each backup), pop Goblin to Haste it and draw 1, then play Gau to put Goblin in play (and optionally popping him again to Haste Gau and draw). 

EDIT2: Ahriman in a Water/Wind deck too - I think it's 1 Wind and break Ahriman to break a Monster or Forward - double the breaking!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:35:07 AM by BigPimpin »
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline Queensryche

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
Funny that you mention a WOFF character, because this was just revealed as well.

Offline Queensryche

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 06:33:57 PM »
Here is a list of what's been revealed so far.

Right now I'm seeing a lot of really useful things in this set. The highlights for me are obviously the FFVI cards, and now a few more:

Kefka (Both versions) - The Dark version seems fairly handy if only because he fetches Monsters and that ability is EX Burst. The second ability I've heard differing opinions. Some think it's not that good, others think it could be a game-winner. I know the rules are that Monsters that can turn into forwards have summoning sickness for those kinds of abilities, but it's unclear how that rule interacts with an ability like Kefka's which makes Monsters into Forwards. The Earth Kefka........I'm confused how that's supposed to work exactly. Hopefully it'll be more clear when it's printed as to how it's supposed to work.

Edgar - No surprise, he grabs Sabin for you. Drill is pretty nice too.

Cyan - Bushido is interesting from a thematic standpoint. Not sure how useful it's going to actually be.

Also, the Light Legendary that was inadvertently spoiled.........I saw it and know what it does:

Terra
Light Forward
4 CP
7000 Power
When Terra comes into play, you may search for one Summon of cost 5 or less and add it to your hand.
Riot Blade - S2, Dull: Choose one Forward. Deal it 6000 damage. You may search for one Summon and add it to your hand.

Other thoughts:

-Wow. Ramuh is NICE. Cheap, has utility, and also an EX Burst. That's gonna see lots of play methinks.
-Both the Bards in Ice look very good. Cheap plays, and have very helpful abilities.
-Cid Randell and Remedi are going to be this set's Squall/Laguna: Disruptive on their own, but fantastic paired up.

Online BigPimpin

• +275/-147
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:21:42 AM »
That's one thing I'm confused about - do monsters have "summoning sickness" for their abilities when they don't become forwards? 

Cyan's S is CRAZY because it doesn't specify when you use it.  So you always trigger it when the opponent passes priority.
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

Offline Queensryche

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 05:16:37 AM »
That's one thing I'm confused about - do monsters have "summoning sickness" for their abilities when they don't become forwards? 

I already answered this for you, but I'll post up to explain to everyone else.

Monsters can use abilities that don't require them to dull the turn they come into play. Abilities that turn Monsters into Forwards can be used, since they don't require them to dull, but they can't attack the turn they come into play.

The question is whether abilities like Kefka's that give Monsters the ability to turn into Forwards fall under the same restriction.

EDIT: And now I can't access the document showing the current spoilers. Oh well.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:02:13 AM by Queensryche »

Online BigPimpin

• +275/-147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 06:16:46 AM »

I already answered this for you, but I'll post up to explain to everyone else.

Monsters can use abilities that don't require them to dull the turn they come into play. Abilities that turn Monsters into Forwards can be used, since they don't require them to dull, but they can't attack the turn they come into play.

The question is whether abilities like Kefka's that give Monsters the ability to turn into Forwards fall under the same restriction.

EDIT: And now I can't access the document showing the current spoilers. Oh well.

The person who was writing the document had to keep killing the Terra spoiler because it wasn't an official spoiler.

Why they allowed the world to have write permission on the document is anyone's guess.

I'm super-pumped for Saturday, can't wait to get my hands on this set.

Offline Queensryche

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 06:31:28 AM »

The person who was writing the document had to keep killing the Terra spoiler because it wasn't an official spoiler.

Why they allowed the world to have write permission on the document is anyone's guess.

I'm super-pumped for Saturday, can't wait to get my hands on this set.

Agreed about Saturday. I'm hoping I pull a surprise, like a Legendary that hasn't been spoiled yet.

Offline Queensryche

• +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
And now it's back up. And it revealed the other Wind Legendary, Onion Knight. THAT card will result in Stupid Onion Knight Tricks, like such:

-Play Onion Knight, 3k damage.
-Red Mage to Haste Onion Knight, another 3k
-Job Change to Lightning Onion Knight, 6k on top of that.

Offline Queensryche

• +4/-1
    • View Profile