Author Topic: The Toronto Blue Jays  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Doctor Barone

• Fake PhD. provded by Chad Dangler
  • +62/-42
  • Through being cool.
    • View Profile
The Toronto Blue Jays
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »
Trying to spark some baseball discussion.

So we're not even a quarter of the way into the season yet, but the Jays are already doing better than anyone expected them to be doing. They lead the division by two games over the Red Sox. Heading into the season people speculated that they would deal their roster, most notably Roy Halladay, for salary reasons.

What should the Blue Jays do? Go broke for someone to put them over the top like the Brewers did last year with CC Sabathia? Assume the team won't be able to keep this torrid pace up and look to deal it's top players? Are they a legit contender as it is?
Joe Barone
Lifetime Ranking: 122

Creed's idiocy and lack of reading skills aside, it's what Barone says.

Queensryche

Re: The Toronto Blue Jays
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
The fact that they're doing this with a pitching staff consisting of Roy Halladay and no one else tells me they should keep at it. Plus, the Jays did better last year when Cito Gaston was brought back.

I say they should keep at it and find needs before the trade deadline so they can try and make a deal.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »
Well they haven't played the Red Sox or the Angels yet, meaning their schedule hasn't been too tough yet.   June will be a tough schedule for them.  Their farm system isn't great making it harder for them to acquire high quality at the deadline, but teams can get desperate sometimes.  They are definitely solid, but it's going to be tough to hold on that division.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
Halladay with another win today. Canada can't focus on only hockey with out missing some of the best pitching in the history of Canadien baseball history.

Offline 6devils6advocate6

• TCO Donor
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »
june is going to be tough. true dat. dropped to 3rd. can't seem to get too many wins against their own division.

hill is hitting up a storm as well as halladay. 2 players can't win it all for ya though.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:43:04 PM »
Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball right now, he's better than Lincecum and Sabathia last year.

Offline Parkmania

• +17/-20
  • Thank you Penguins!
    • View Profile
    • www.ccgscards.com
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 02:45:57 PM »
Halladay is the best pitcher in baseball right now, he's better than Lincecum and Sabathia last year.

Zack Greinke has some words for you.
www.ccgscards.com

CCGs Cards Comics and Games - Home of the '07 Origins Revo Champ,
'07 GenCon All Axxess Champ,
'07 Stargate TCG WORLD CHAMP,
'07 GenCon WoW Lazy Peon Champ,
'07 WoW GenCon Gadgetzan Challenge Runner-Up...
and Raw Deal's official Beer God.

KEEP WATCHING FOR MORE!

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »
Yes he said "Roy Halladay is out pitching me and his team is better, I wish I was in the National League."

Offline Parkmania

• +17/-20
  • Thank you Penguins!
    • View Profile
    • www.ccgscards.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »
Yes he said "Roy Halladay is out pitching me and his team is better, I wish I was in the National League."

WHA??? OK, yes, Halladay has more wins, but Greinke has more K's, a lower ERA, and a lower WHIP. In fewer innings. Statistically, I'll take Greinke over Halladay.

And no, I'm not a KC fan.
www.ccgscards.com

CCGs Cards Comics and Games - Home of the '07 Origins Revo Champ,
'07 GenCon All Axxess Champ,
'07 Stargate TCG WORLD CHAMP,
'07 GenCon WoW Lazy Peon Champ,
'07 WoW GenCon Gadgetzan Challenge Runner-Up...
and Raw Deal's official Beer God.

KEEP WATCHING FOR MORE!

Queensryche

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

WHA??? OK, yes, Halladay has more wins, but Greinke has more K's, a lower ERA, and a lower WHIP. In fewer innings. Statistically, I'll take Greinke over Halladay.

And no, I'm not a KC fan.

I would think that a team would want the guy who wins more often, regardless of how he wins and just so long as he doesn't go all over the map with his performances.

I can say for certain if the Phillies need another starter, I'd like to trade for Halladay.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »
Their stats are very close, but Halladay's two more wins are huge. The Royals have yet to play the heavy hitters of the Red Sox, and they have only played three against Texas.  Those two teams along with the Yankees and Angels can really raise your ERA and WHIP.

Queensryche

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 08:11:19 PM »
Justin Verlander is also doing quite well at the moment.

I imagine if either Halladay, Greinke, or Verlander came to the NL, they'd be transcendent there. Much like how CC Sabathia was when he came to Milwaukee last year, when it seemed like he was incapable of losing.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
Johan Santana also benefitted from the switch. Three examples of failed switches would be the big three from the A's. Mulder, Hudson, and Zito.

Queensryche

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »
Johan Santana also benefitted from the switch. Three examples of failed switches would be the big three from the A's. Mulder, Hudson, and Zito.

I'd say that's more along the lines of Billy Beane knowing something was wrong with them and thus either trading them away or letting them walk.

Beane is perhaps the most cerebral GM in all of baseball. Almost all the time, when he offers one of his good players, he knows something is up that won't show up in a physical. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the league's GMs sweat nervously when Oakland calls up and proposes a trade.