Author Topic: The Crippler + Hell in a Cell Match  (Read 204 times)

Offline Shaneth

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
The Crippler + Hell in a Cell Match
« on: October 08, 2017, 08:36:53 AM »
I traveled to Singapore in 2004 and I remember playing against a guy with a Crippler deck that used Hell in a Cell. Apparently the rule was that Crippler's ability bypasses Hell in a Cell somehow, so it played all the good hybrid reversals like Backslide, Inside Cradle, Eye/Back/Ab Rake, Nerve Hold, Spine Buster, Brass Nuks, etc.

Was this deck considered a solid tournament deck? And if so, what were the opening Pre-match lineups and non-hybrid attacks it utilized to win?

Thanks in advance!

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +478/-368
    • View Profile
Re: The Crippler + Hell in a Cell Match
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:40:02 AM »
FYI - HIAC only blocks cards and card effects, not Superstar Abilities.  They work around a Cell, so Matt Hardy and Undertaker also do well. 

I'm not sure how Crippler stacks up these days, but HIAC would unfortunately block a bunch of his recovery actions, so I'm not sure if you gain more than you lose there.

CREED
Virtual 8: Over the Limit (A) Sept. 1st  (B) Oct/Nov

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline rated SRH

• +26/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
A Victim of the Crippler - Throwback
Pre-match Feud
Your opponent cannot play Manager or Stipulation cards.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     Smackdown logo
SS3

This says no Hell in a Cell
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Scotty

• +50/-43
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:35:32 AM »
A Victim of the Crippler - Throwback
Pre-match Feud
SS3

Where does it say that?

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »
A Victim of the Crippler - Throwback
Pre-match Feud
SS3

the part about Hell in a Cell being a stip ;)

And Hell in a Cell can't dance around that with Pulled some Strings either....so that's a safe level of protection indeed

Where does it say that?
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline Scotty

• +50/-43
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 10:38:55 AM »
The Crippler deck plays Hell In A Cell itself, not the opponent. Since Cripplers ability gets around Cell, it can recover hybrids all day long, while the opponent can't.

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
OH, I thought you meant opponent....

Benoit has too many good recovery cards, the Box probably hurts him as much as it helps though
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline KD8ESU

• +16/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 03:10:59 PM »
OH, I thought you meant opponent....

Benoit has too many good recovery cards, the Box probably hurts him as much as it helps though

The trick is that you know HiaC is being thrown out (since you're the one doing it) and you bypass the Benoit recovery cards, as well as any other recovery that wouldn't work in the Cell; you use Crippler's Ability (and the one with the Angle logo) as your recovery base.
You do that to mess with your opponent's ability to recover.

Does it work?  Yes, to a point.  I know since I had one built.  It was never going to be top-tier as too many variables messed with the design, but it was an effective design if no one saw it coming.
I eventually made an Inferno Match (tb) variant that relied upon reversing from the overturn and Multis to do damage.  That was much more effective, as people got to the point that I'd reverse on 1-3, then shuffle back in everything I needed.  Thank God Inferno Match (tb) got the kick in the nuts it needed is all I'll say after playing that deck.
hXi

YOUR 2014 GenCon Supershow Champion

One-half of **** *** Pay, 2015 GenCon Supershow Tag Team Champions.

Offline Shaneth

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
The Crippler deck plays Hell In A Cell itself, not the opponent. Since Cripplers ability gets around Cell, it can recover hybrids all day long, while the opponent can't.
Yup this was the entire idea of the deck.

The trick is that you know HiaC is being thrown out (since you're the one doing it) and you bypass the Benoit recovery cards, as well as any other recovery that wouldn't work in the Cell; you use Crippler's Ability (and the one with the Angle logo) as your recovery base.

Does it work?  Yes, to a point.  I know since I had one built.  It was never going to be top-tier as too many variables messed with the design, but it was an effective design if no one saw it coming.
I eventually made an Inferno Match (tb) variant that relied upon reversing from the overturn and Multis to do damage.  That was much more effective, as people got to the point that I'd reverse on 1-3, then shuffle back in everything I needed.  Thank God Inferno Match (tb) got the kick in the nuts it needed is all I'll say after playing that deck.
You think Inferno Match is the way to go with Cripper Hell in a Cell? (2004 format)
Just trying to figure out the best way to play it. I know it didn't have much defense against Trademark Finishers except for When You Thought You Had All the Answers.

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »
Yup this was the entire idea of the deck.

You think Inferno Match is the way to go with Cripper Hell in a Cell? (2004 format)
Just trying to figure out the best way to play it. I know it didn't have much defense against Trademark Finishers except for When You Thought You Had All the Answers.

No, he's saying he used the Inferno Match Throwback stipulation with multis and they burned themselves to death playing their maneuvers while he recovered his reversals he overturned and threw multis.
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!