Author Topic: Baker Mayfield isn't unique  (Read 184 times)

Offline Queensryche

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
Baker Mayfield isn't unique
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:31:39 AM »
Even though I don't watch college football or the NFL anymore, on occasion I do catch something which captures my attention.

I wake up today and saw all this stuff about Oklahoma planting flags and all the conversation it's generating. Well, I finally decide to see what the commotion is about, and sure enough, it was literal, as Baker Mayfield planted an OU flag on the Block O at The Horseshoe.

Seeing this though, I think I have a reasonable suspicion that Mayfield got inspiration from another such act.

21 years ago, in Turkish soccer, Galatasaray beat Fenerbahce for the Turkish Cup. The two are massive rivals, and matches between them are called The Intercontinental Derby (due to Galatasaray's home ground being in the European side of Istanbul while Fenerbahce's home is on the Asian side). Galatasaray had (for them) a bad season, being nowhere close to winning the Turkish Super League, while Fenerbahce won it running away. In the cup competition, the two faced off in the final, and Galatasaray scored an upset win, beating their rivals for the Turkish Cup at Fenerbahce's home ground. After the match, Galatasaray manager Graeme Souness, who'd been called a cripple by Fenerbahce's chairman due to a heart attack he'd suffered some time ago, decided some payback was in order. He went to the away section, got a Galatasaray flag, and planted it in the middle of the pitch. That event has since made what was already a heated rivalry even more heated. Full details can be found here.

Souness's act has ever since been a talking point between the two clubs, who don't hesitate to bring it up to their respective fanbases, either to remind them of the big "F**K YOU" they delivered (Galatasaray) or to remind them of how they were so brazenly insulted (Fenerbahce). I imagine that the same will occur for Oklahoma and OU. My guess is that for Ohio State fans, Oklahoma now has a permanent place on their s**tlist and that they're going to want payback in the worst way (Hurricane I imagine could confirm this), while Baker Mayfield is now a folk hero for the middle finger he delivered to OU.

I understand that Oklahoma/Ohio State isn't a regular matchup for either side. It might be now!

EDIT: BAKER Mayfield, not Blake. Told you I don't pay much attention.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:33:22 AM by Queensryche »
We've got Dele!
We've got Dele Alli!
I just don't think you understand!
He only cost 5 mil!
He's better than Ozil!
We've got Dele Alli!

Offline rated SRH

• +25/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Baker Mayfield isn't unique
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:51:54 AM »
That was a very disrespectful move by Baker. IF* these teams meet again Ohio State will make him pay for that.
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Queensryche

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
That was a very disrespectful move by Baker. IF* these teams meet again Ohio State will make him pay for that.

I can see your point. Still, it's nice to see genuine displays of emotion like that. I like seeing athletes show that it means as much to them as it does for people watching like us.
We've got Dele!
We've got Dele Alli!
He only cost 5 mil!
He's better than Ozil!
We've got Dele Alli!

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »
I was there......

As an Ohio State fan, they're in no position to make anyone pay with as horrible as they played. Baker Mayfield had more passing yards than the Buckeyes had total yards of offense. It was pretty disrespectful though, and I don't think if Bob Stoops was still in Norman that he would have allowed it.

That all aside the way Ohio State played I can see them losing at least one if not two more games this year, unless they figure out a passing game and how to keep that defense off the field as much as possible they're not going anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:01:52 AM by The Hurricane »
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline Queensryche

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »
I was there......

As an Ohio State fan, they're in no position to make anyone pay with as horrible as they played. Baker Mayfield had more passing yards than the Buckeyes had total yards of offense. It was pretty disrespectful though, and I don't think if Bob Stoops was still in Norman that he would have allowed it.

That all aside the way Ohio State played I can see them losing at least one if not two more games this year, unless they figure out a passing game and how to keep that defense off the field as much as possible they're not going anywhere.

Hello sir! Nice to see you around.

Quick question for you: Do you think Mayfield's act is going to make OSU/OU a regular thing now? More importantly, do you want it to become a regular matchup?
We've got Dele!
We've got Dele Alli!
He only cost 5 mil!
He's better than Ozil!
We've got Dele Alli!

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
I would like to see it yearly to be honest.

Ohio State NEEDS a couple big non-conference match ups a year in my opinion. They get too comfortable doing the same old crap and then get wrecked in games like this. I've always been under the impression that early season challenges make a better team.

I think the offense needs to SLOW DOWN and read the opposing defense a bit. They are suffering from Chip Kelly syndrome, and you could tell after a couple 3 and outs that the defense was getting gassed from being out there so much. The secondary is young so I can see mistakes happening.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:14:42 AM by The Hurricane »
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline rated SRH

• +25/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 02:23:19 PM »
I don't think JT is the right QB for OSU. I've never been high on JT. I've been an Ohio State fan my entire life. JT just looks lost out there. Plus holds the ball WAY to long.
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »
I don't think JT is the right QB for OSU. I've never been high on JT. I've been an Ohio State fan my entire life. JT just looks lost out there. Plus holds the ball WAY to long.

It's like ever since he got hurt in that Michigan game his freshman year, and then got benched for Cardale Jones the next season he hasn't been the same player he was. He has regressed horribly as a passer since then.

It doesn't help JT ran the ball more than both the lead running backs COMBINED. That's been a recurring theme at Ohio State the last couple years. If JT Barrett runs the ball more than 7-10 times we lose.
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!