Author Topic: printed card text?  (Read 351 times)

Offline The Softcore Legend

• +89/-107
  • Have a Nice Day!
    • View Profile
printed card text?
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
If I am Hulk Hogan and blank my opponent's German Suplex TB with the Feathered Boa, can I play the Raw Deal Revolution to reverse it?

If I am Hulk Hogan and I blank my opponent's German Suplex TB with the Feathered Boa, can I play
Carlito Says, That's not Ciol?

If my opponent plays German suplex TB without triggering it's game text, can I play Carlito to reverse it?

All of these questions have to do with printed card text, not applicibale game text.

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
Re: printed card text?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »
1. Yes
2. No you can not, it's got no printed text on it to qualify if you blank it
3. Nope...it's just a 4 for 8 grapple with no protections then
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

• +89/-107
  • Have a Nice Day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »
So printed card text is only relevant if the game conditions look for it?

Offline rated SRH

• +27/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
To piggyback on this. If he uses The Boa to blank for example Backfist would it keep it's damage buff? I'm thinking yes because it's when played. However, I'd like a for sure anwser please.
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +479/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
CORRECTION

2. No you can not, it's got no printed text on it to qualify if you blank it

This is unfortunately wrong.  "Printed" is 'ink on card', regardless of game effects.  You can blank it, but it doesn't change what's printed, nothing does.

Any conclusions that follow off that are obvious wrong and should be restated.

CREED
Virtual 8: Over the Limit (A) Sept. 1st (B) Oct 31st - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullar

Offline niiiiick

• +14/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
It should be if there is a PRINTED restriction, whether active or not, Carlito is applicable. It's printed on the card, and that's what it looks for

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +479/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »
Indeed, and why card text is requested when asking rules questions:

Carlito Says "That’s Not Cool!"
Reversal: Special
This card ignores any reversal restrictions from the reversed card.
Reverse any non-unique maneuver with a printed reversal restriction, draw 2 cards, and your opponent discards 2 random cards.
When overturned, this card is -5F and can also reverse any card with Momentum or any non-damage card effect.
F: 5     D: 0     Unique

German Suplex - Throwback does indeed have one printed.

CREED
Virtual 8: Over the Limit (A) Sept. 1st (B) Oct 31st - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullar

Offline Mitch!

• 2014 & 2017 Raw Deal World Champion
  • Global Moderator
  • +240/-240
  • Welcome to....Dubuque, Iowa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 11:15:07 PM »
Mitch of Team Niki Heber and Friends
Only B2B's Deck to Ever Win Worlds!
The Heel HHH of Raw Deal
Your 2017 Raw Deal Champion

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +311/-213
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »
I'm going to side with Past Me on this one, for once. (He's used to me heel turning on him.)

"Printed" is not the issue here. (Though, we can all agree that trying to Feathered Boa -> Carlito is an astoundingly bad play. Just Carlito the thing already and save your Boa!) The issue is "reversal restriction." Reversal restrictions are only reversal restrictions when they actually restrict your reversals. So if I don't meet the qualification to restrict your reversals with my German Suplex TB, you can't Carlito it. Whether that's because I didn't meet the requirement or because the text is blank isn't actually relevant, in the end. So, it turns out that CRASHER was right all along. Go figure.

As for Rated SRH's question: no, Back Fist would lose the +4D if you blanked it, because the text to provide the +4D is no longer there and the Bookkeeping Rule says that you don't have to keep track of things that aren't there.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

• +89/-107
  • Have a Nice Day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »
Reverse any non-unique maneuver with a printed reversal restriction, draw 2 cards, and your opponent discards 2 random cards.
When overturned, this card is -5F and can also reverse any card with Momentum or any non-damage card effect.

Where on Carlito Says, "That's Not Cool!" does it state: "reverse a non-unique maneuver with a reversal restriction"?
To me, it says that it ignores reversal restrictions, and then looks for a specific set of text printed on a card.  Carlito doesn't care if the card had actually had a restriction or not.

Don't be a Douchebag, has much better wording if you want Carlito to function as you say it does.

Don't be a Douchebag!
Action / Reversal: Special
As an action, cannot be reversed when you have lower Fortitude; shuffle up to 2 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
As a reversal, ignore any reversal restriction from a card, reverse any non-Unique maneuver that is Revolution or has a reversal restriction from your opponent; when overturned, can also reverse any non-damage card effect (even during the Pre-Match phase), and put this card in to your Ring.
Choose one: draw 1 card or he discards 1 card.
F: 0     D: 2     Unique     Permanent

This is much clearer as to the card's intent:

Reverse any non-unique maneuver with a reversal restriction that is generated by that maneuver's printed text.
Draw 2 cards and your opponent discards 2 random cards.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:03:32 PM by The Softcore Legend »

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +311/-213
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »

Where on Carlito Says, "That's Not Cool!" does it state: "reverse a non-unique maneuver with a reversal restriction"?

The second sentence.

To me, it says that it ignores reversal restrictions, and then looks for a specific set of text printed on a card.  Carlito doesn't care if the card had actually had a restriction or not.

Your interpretation doesn't jive with the definition of "reversal restriction."

Don't be a Douchebag, has much better wording if you want Carlito to function as you say it does.

Don't be a Douchebag!
Action / Reversal: Special
As an action, cannot be reversed when you have lower Fortitude; shuffle up to 2 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
As a reversal, ignore any reversal restriction from a card, reverse any non-Unique maneuver that is Revolution or has a reversal restriction from your opponent; when overturned, can also reverse any non-damage card effect (even during the Pre-Match phase), and put this card in to your Ring.
Choose one: draw 1 card or he discards 1 card.
F: 0     D: 2     Unique     Permanent

Don't Be a Douchebag! has an entirely different function from Carlito Says. Douchebag ignores any reversal restrictions from cards; Carlito cares only about the card that it is reversing.

This is much clearer as to the card's intent:

Reverse any non-unique maneuver with a reversal restriction that is generated by that maneuver's printed text.
Draw 2 cards and your opponent discards 2 random cards.

The card already says that, except less awkwardly and with less text, by using the "reversal restriction" keyphrase.

We've also gone beyond the scope of the Rules Forum with this discussion, so I'm gonna lock this down.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.