Author Topic: Superstar Spotlight: Rikishi  (Read 667 times)

Offline rated SRH

• +28/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
Superstar Spotlight: Rikishi
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »
Alright guys, I've noticed a few new people joining TCO. So I'll give a brief explanation how this segment works. Twice a week I will be posting superstars by request. So if you are stumped on a deck, can't make it work or just curious simply message myself or Drew with your request.
These are done in order of request. So if it takes a week or so please be patient. We promise we will get to your request as fast as possible.

Please keep those requests coming. Today's is another 'request' in Rikishi!!!!!

1.)  How viable is this superstar?
2.)  Is there a Superstar Specific Card that you'd like to spotlight? 
3.)  How have you built said superstar?  How did it work out?
4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual
5.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?

AND

6.) Since this Superstar is a Legacy one (in that he was in the game before Virtual) can you elaborate a little on how Virtual has changed this Superstar?

Rikishi
Starting Hand Size: 6     Superstar Value: 4
Superstar Ability: Once during each of your turns you may discard 2 cards and then search your Arsenal for 1 Maneuver card, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
FL, SS1, SS2

A Family Legacy
Pre-match Event
Cannot be blanked.  Your Umaga-specific cards do not take up a Pre-match or Mid-match slot in your Ring.
Your Samoan Drop is +3D.
ACE: You may put this card into your Ringside and then put up to 3 cards from your Ringside into your hand: when the next card you play is a non-RMS Superstar-specific action with a logo on this card, your opponent cannot respond to it.  When you are Umaga, this cannot be reversed.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent
V5

Raisin' the Roof
Pre-match Event
Your Starting Hand Size is +2.
When this card is in your Ring area, you may ignore the "can only be played after..." text on your Rikishi-specific Foil maneuvers and your card titled I Did It For You is considered Permanent.
If an effect your opponent controls removes this card from your Ring area, draw up to 2 cards.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Smackdown logo
VEL

You Look Fly Today
Pre-match Event
Cannot be packed when packing Corners. Cannot be blanked.
Your Pre-match Capacity is +2; when you are Too Cool, your Starting Hand Size is +2.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, draw 2 cards; when you are Scotty 2 Hotty, put up to 2 cards from your Ringside into your hand, and put the bottom 2 cards of your Arsenal into your hand.
When you would discard cards for Armageddon Is Upon Us, discard 2 cards instead.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique
V5

Too Cool is in Your Corner!
Pre-match Corner
Your Rikishi-specific Pre-match cards do not take up a Pre-match slot in your Ring.
Your Rikishi-specific actions and your cards with 'Rikishi' in the title are Multi.
When you reversed a card to end your opponent's last turn, you may ignore the 'You must play...' text on your Back That A%$ Up.
You cannot play Corners.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique
V1

Dancing Finale
Mid-match Action
When you are about to lose the game, you may put this card in your Ring, discard 2 cards, shuffle up to 10 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal, draw 2 cards, and end the current turn.
When you are Too Cool, discard 1 less card for your Ability.
F: 2     D: 2     Unique     Permanent     RMS logo
V5

I Did It for You
Mid-match Action
Cannot be reversed if your opponent is Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, or Triple H.
When this card is in your Ring area, you Superstar Ability now reads as "Once during each of your turns you may discard 1 card and then search your Arsenal for 1 Maneuver card, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal."
F: 5     D: 0     Unique
BL, SS2

Rikishi's Hip Toss
Grapple
When successfully played, search your opponent's Arsenal for 1 card and remove it from the game. He shuffles his Arsenal.
F: 0     D: 5     Unique
VEN

Rikishi's Superkick
Strike
When successfully played, you may draw 1 card or shuffle up to 2 cards from your Ringside pile into your Arsenal.
F: 5     D: 8     SV: 1     Unique     Smackdown logo
DO

Back That A%$ Up
High Risk
Must be played after the card titled Throw Into the Corner Turnbuckle.
When successfully played, search your Ringside pile and Arsenal for the card titled Stink Face, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
F: 8     D: 14     SV: 1     Unique
FL, SS1, SS2

Rikishi Driver
Grapple
When successfully played, search your Ringside pile and Arsenal for the card titled A%$ Drop, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
F: 15     D: 10     SV: 2     Unique
FL, SS1, SS2

Stink Face
Submission
Can only be played after a successfully played 4D or greater maneuver.
When successfully played, your opponent discards his hand.
F: 18     D: 9     SV: 1     Unique
FL, SS1, SS2

A%$ Drop
Trademark Finisher
Can only be played after a successfully played 8D or greater maneuver.
F: 30     D: 25     SV: 3     Unique
FL, SS1, SS2

Gettin’ Cheeky with It!
Reversal: Special
Cannot be played if more than 1 copy of the card titled Gettin’ Cheeky with It! is in your Ring area.
Reverse any non-Trademark-Finisher maneuver and end your opponent’s turn. Draw up to 2 cards.
F: 0     D: 0
MAN, SS2

Drive, Rikishi, Drive!
Action
Draw 6 cards and end your turn.
F: 3     D: 0     Unique
FL, SS1, SS2

I’m a Bad Man...
Action
Draw 2 cards.
When this card is in your Ring area, you may put it into your Ringside pile, and if your next card played this turn is a maneuver, it cannot be reversed from your opponent’s hand or Backlash deck.
F: 4     D: 0     Unique
SUM, SS2

Makin' a Difference
Action
Shuffle up to 6 cards from your Ringside pile into your Arsenal and put 1 Maneuver card from your Ringside pile into your hand.
F: 9     D: 0     Unique     Smackdown logo
INX
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:09:34 AM by CreedP »
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline rachelmon

• +24/-21
  • woo woo woo, you know it!
    • View Profile
Re: Superstar Spotlight: Rikishi
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »
Rikishi is very viable. There is all sort of method to play him.

I, personally love Raisin' the Roof. Starting hand +2 + Draw 1 from Premiere Smackdown Superstar. Ignore the "can only be played after..." text on your specific maneuvers is big.

Over the Ropes + There's no Escape. Awesome.

4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual
Can be consider as a Tournament deck, depending on how you form him. Fare quite well.

Just Awesome ability, and awesome specifics.

AND

6.) Since this Superstar is a Legacy one (in that he was in the game before Virtual) can you elaborate a little on how Virtual has changed this Superstar?
To be honest, Rikishi just need more reversals. 3 ASSes might not be enough.

Offline rated SRH

• +28/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 06:38:23 PM »
I've felt he's needed a small boost for awhile. Maybe a mid reversal to help him since his one specific reversal is active.
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline LawnMowerMan

• +6/-8
  • Going in a scrub walking,out a champion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
Honestly maybe needs a card to allow him to play all 3 cheeks at a cost though. Or something to remove it from the ring in order to play others.
Current Illinois Tournament Organizer.
Wanna learn to make your own customs cards at makeplayingcards.co m? Follow the link below.
https://youtu.be/DRt3Zi3pMRE

Lawnmowerman for 2018 Gencon World Champion

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
At 0F he gets 3 Cheeks and 3 Revolution of the Minds. Not exactly sure why people think he needs more reversals. You go BASH and you get 3 WORMs to go with it. That's 9 0F reversals for most maneuvers in the game. Plus you can use Blindside Tornado Strike in him to remove Cheeks and stuff and use Technical Bear Hug them back into your deck.
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline Kingsantino92

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:56:35 AM »
So what scenario would I be able to use the card Dancin Finale? Can I use it when I take damage from a card and after overturning my last card I can activate Dancin Finale or is it when I'm about to lose to a card like Quick Count Ref?

Offline Eric RD

• +12/-1
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
    • Backlash Podcast
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »
So what scenario would I be able to use the card Dancin Finale? Can I use it when I take damage from a card and after overturning my last card I can activate Dancin Finale or is it when I'm about to lose to a card like Quick Count Ref?

It doesn't specify losing by countout or pin-fall, so anytime they would win.
Backlash Podcast Episode 08 - This is Going Nowhere Fast
https://youtu.be/XXQt_hs47OU

Backlash Podcast - A Raw Deal conversation - available every other Tuesday on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube.
https://www.facebook.com/Backlashpod/
http://www.youtube.com/c/EricRDeal

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +482/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
Note that for a constant win condition, like the Divas Mid-match Action, that wins by having a condition met -
 you could use this but then the win condition is still met, so it won't make a difference.

However, for traditional pinfall victories, or instant win effects (Mania, Backslide, etc.) you can use the effects and continue the game.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Kingsantino92

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 01:02:25 PM »
So even when taking damage from a card and I overturn my last card I can still use this effect?

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +482/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
Duplicate question already answered, please re-read.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »
A great choice for a versatile superstar, can be built in so many different ways that its strength lies more in flexibility, making Rikishi somewhat of a jack of all trades kind of deck.

Rikishi
Starting Hand Size: 6     Superstar Value: 4
Superstar Ability: Once during each of your turns you may discard 2 cards and then search your Arsenal for 1 Maneuver card, reveal it to your opponent, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.
FL, SS1, SS2

His ability is what stands out to me the most, being a superior version of "I'm Always On the Winning Side - MY Side!" where you discard 2 cards of your choice to look for any maneuver, be it unique or not.

The only version I tried on Rikishi was a No Escape variant, using his ability to tutor for maneuvers and Banned from Ringside to recur any unsuccessful ones. Worked well when I tested him out for a tourney.

Rikishi worked decently in Classic, but in VC, his support helped him keep himself in the game long enough to wreck his opponents. His flexibility just makes him a strong choice for any deck.

Great to try out for any player of any skill level, versatile and a strong pick, especially now that he has a 'free' "Through All My Years" effect in Dancing Finale. Definitely worth trying out for a few games to see how strong he is on your own.

AND

His support is nuts, making his Back That A%$ Up that more of a threat rather than a rather unplayable card. Dancing Finale makes him even more capable of making some comebacks in certain games, letting him some sort of second wind. Family Legacy is icing on the cake, and a rather tasty one too, letting him hit his SS-specific actions with it too.