Author Topic: 'Taker's many "faces"  (Read 612 times)

Offline AfghanYeti88

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
'Taker's many "faces"
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:28:34 AM »
Since I'm still pretty new at building and playing, I wanted to ask a question that's been bothering me all weekend. when a superstar has multiple "face" cards, how do you decide who to play and how to play them?
The whole bases for my question is that I finally got a full Undertaker set over the weekend, and wasn't sure on how to build him or if there was a version of him that was better than the other. I'm currently thinking about building his Legend version, but was curious if that would be the best route to build the Undertaker as a potential tournament winner. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
"If a man has enough power, he can speak softly and everyone will listen." - Jake Roberts

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
Re: 'Taker's many "faces"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:37:56 AM »
When it comes to Taker and say DMI there's pretty much no difference aside of their backstage cards..... DMI is more strike-oriented and he did get an interesting storyline to make him different from Taker (and even more strike-themed)

Phenom is a different animal since he can pack four of non-uniques (BASH is obvious since he starts with 4F), but he too can spam any of the nasty non-uniques he wants since he gets four of them

Last Outlaw doesn't get all the Taker cards (I think it's just uniques....yeah Arsenal Uniques), so he's got a different feel to him, and he's an obvious Wrestlemania deck (though it is capped thanks to the new Shenanigans card and you won't have the "you'll have to beat me three times to win the game" anymore because of said card, but still unstoppable recover of 14 is no joke, not to mention playing a RFG card per turn

.....then there's BoD, who's sorta Taker....heh

I guess the easy answer is....what's your play style?? Sponge? Attack? Blue wave? that's more likely to help you than anything
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Online dilbert505

• +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:57:12 AM »
There are as many ways to answer that question as there are superstars in the game.

Generally, I go through one of two processes. Sometimes, I start flipping through my face cards until I hit some inspiration, then I run with it. Other times, I'll have a non-specific idea come to me (a card I want to build around, generally), and then I'll go looking to see who could run it the best. In some cases, there are versions I have no idea how to build well, so I set them aside (Heart Break Kid TB, I'm looking at you); sometimes, I'm open to considering any variant, and I try to figure out what each brings me and see which option strikes my fancy.

In your situation, since you have a full playset, and you know you want to build some flavor of Undertaker, you're able to narrow that down a lot. You could choose Taker, Dead Man Inc. (Finally not the same thing!), Phenom, or Last Outlaw. Here's the good news: any flavor of Taker is strong. Every version has a great ability, every version has strong specifics, and they're all fairly flexible (TLO gets super-Wrestlemania and Legend support, Phenom can start at 4F with BASH and has the best card consistency in the game thanks to the 4x non-uniques, DMI is one of the best Volley decks, and one of the best non-ECW Foreign Object decks, in the game, and base Taker gets to have a strong, permanent recovery option in Managed by Paul, plus multi specific actions.)

In this situation, you can't really go wrong, so build the version of Undertaker you feel the most affinity towards. You may want to build all the versions on Lackey, and see which one you think is strongest after comparing the builds.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »
Gonna say most of the replies already answered your question. I'll try my hand at answering the bigger, underlying question instead.

A lot of the older classic guys (and well some of the new guys too!) have "different faces", probably to reflect a different gimmick they used while wrestling or simply to showcase a more 'recent' memory of them among the fans.

For Taker, he's probably evolved a lot through his career, being a unkillable zombie-like guy (reflected in Undertaker's playstyle of recovering with Managed by Paul Bearer), becoming a brawling badass (reflected through Deadman Inc and his VC focus on becoming a 'pure striker' deck), later on he became more of a phantom and an unstoppable force in the eyes of the fans (well, there isn't really a smart way to reflect this in The Phenom, probably just being able to feel a little more supernatural by overcoming deck building restrictions?) and lastly the Streak (reflected VERY WELL in The Last Outlaw's playstyle that revolves around WrestleMania and having the ability to 'pull a move out' even when it's RFG).

Most of the joy of Raw Deal probably is shown in building a deck that revolves around your fave superstar and beating people with them, and that feels quite thematic in superstar abilities and cards, which I think TCO has done an extremely good job in maintaining that feel in the cards/support. And moving away from Taker, TCO has created more well-defined differences between superstars that all once felt too same-ish. For example, Mankind has gotten a bit of a re-theme in ensuring his cards keep that feel of a masochistic madman while Cactus Jack is now a more sadistic hardcore lunatic.