Author Topic: Request for Help  (Read 1371 times)

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
Request for Help
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
I don't generally ask for things, as much as possible I just take care of what needs to be done.  But today is the day I ask.

Gem, my girlfriend, is very disabled.  She worked in hospitals for 25 years taking care of people, and got injured twice on the job.  Her left arm has limited functionality, and her back injury has caused severe pain along her sciatica nerves, which in turn causes her to fall; basically, she lives in varying degrees of constant pain every day.  We've been after disability for her for nearly 4 years, and workers compensation has been frozen by the Oklahoma governor.

The one spark of light has been her service dog, a shepherd/whippet mix named Kiwi; smart, cute, sweet, protective girl, she's brought a lot of joy to Gem's life and helped her want to live again.  Kiwi has helped Gem when she starts to fall, stands protectively in front of her when strangers approach, and even went to get help from neighbors once when Gem fell outside and I was at work. Couldn't ask for a better addition to our family.

...Today, Kiwi was attacked, viciously and unprovoked, by a friend's dog.  (He's apparently getting old, perhaps senile, and animal control was already called to take him away)  Part of her belly and leg were severely damaged, and she's lucky to be alive, as a major artery was missed by mere centimeters.

The local animal hospital was able to stitch the wound closed, though it is still very touch-and-go, and assuming she makes it, its doubtful she'll have full use of her leg again.  A whippet is similar to a greyhound, so she was quite the runner... it pains me to think she might never even walk again.

The vet did what he could, but said it's very possible she'll need a skin graft to properly close the wound, as there was a lot of damaged skin that couldn't be used.  He suggested a GoFundMe account for the skin graft, as it runs $4-5K, so Gem put one together tonight.

Kiwi's Medical Expenses

Please - even if you can't help personally, please post it on your social media, get the word out.  Normally, I'm not the kind to ask for assistance, but this is just too important not to.

Thank you in advance.

C
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:57:05 PM by CreedP »
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline imc2oo2

• +0/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 05:58:46 AM »
Sent a little something. Good luck.

Offline rated SRH

• +40/-15
  • Welcome to the Rated SRH Era!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:05:34 AM »
I posted on Facebook for you.
Your 2018 WWE Raw Deal World Champion!!!!!!!

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +14/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »
Put in what I could. All the best.

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »
Shared on the FB's and the Tweets. 

Best of luck.
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
Thank you guys so very much.  Kiwi is making the best of it today, mostly resting.  She tried to get up but wasn't feeling up to it, but she's taking food and water in small amounts.

Again, thank you all SO much, from both of us.

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Ekhari

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 10:21:13 AM »
I put in what I could (probably a little more than that actually) for a poor college student.  Best of luck with this, no one should have this problem, especially someone devoted to helping people.
Occupy: Mordor.  One Ring should NOT rule them all!

This signature is environmentally friendly and made from 50% recycled materials.

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 04:09:28 PM »
There just aren't words to express the gratitude, thank you all SO much.  Hell, my boss surprised me by throwing $200 in!

Like I said before, even just spreading the word via social networks is helping.

CREED

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »
Just an update today, the follow up appointment was a good news / bad news.  Bad news is there's more infection in the bad leg, so the vet upped the antibiotics prescribed, and gave a pair of local injections to help get it under control.  We're optimistic about that, but it's possible she might end up having the leg amputated.

Good news is the staples are holding up, only one popped off, and he replaced it.  So the skin graft probably won't be needed.  The donations have definitely helped pay the existing bill as well as the follow up, though, and will certainly assist if they have to remove the bad leg.

Again, my deepest thanks to everyone who has contributed, and for those who spread the word.  It's been a huge help, and a beacon of hope after some horrible circumstances.

CREED

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
Wow, after some issues earlier in the week, Kiwi's vet check up appointment carried a huge sense of dread. However, the vet said she's doing good, upper portion of the wound is healing, lower portion still needs work, but the swelling (infection) in her leg is going down! Huge relief - it's not a clean bill of health yet, but far better from the direction I thought today would take. Thank you all, SO much, for all the prayers and shares and donations and positive energies, it's all appreciated more than I can say in words!

CREED

Offline fadeaway

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »
Its not much, but I put in a bit

All the best.

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »
Rest assured it's all appreciated, every little bit helps!  Thank you!

CREED