Author Topic: NFL Week One!  (Read 3219 times)

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
NFL Week One!
« on: September 11, 2015, 05:25:47 PM »
We used to do these on another forum, but over the last year things have gotten a bit too ridiculous ....personal.....an d heated (mostly over the Patriots discussion, frankly if you think they cheated or not, I really don't care, but it's gotten nasty enough over there to make me no longer want to discuss football on that board), but I did enjoy the in-depth breakdowns and discussions of the sport (I also used to preview all the games, a few of you folks on my Facebook are familiar with these too)....if there's enough interest and discussion here I'd gladly start writing them up here and just moving the tradition to a friendlier forum (part of the problem of being in AFC East Territory, there's a LOT of hate and blinders on and when you disagree with them you get very nastily told to go buy a Brady jersey and flip off..... since it's a bit late in the week to write it now, and let's see if anyone wants to read them, hopefully we can start a discussion about the week's games and I can resume my ritual next Thursday if people want to keep it going!

The main thing I took out of last night's game was NEITHER team could stop the run worth a damn, and Pittsburgh shot themselves in the foot early with that stupid trick play (why you try to get cute when basic football is getting the job done is BEYOND me), I know week one isn't always the best thing to base feelings on, but neither one of those teams look like Super Bowl teams, but it's so damned hard to out-cerebral Brady and Belichek.....

Couple of games I'm looking forward to on Sunday:

Jets and Brows (yes REALLY).....we have an old expression of when two awful teams play on Sunday it really becomes so BAD it becomes GOOD, we sum up those joyous type games as anti-football (and God Bless it all)....this is truly one of those games!

Chiefs at Texans:
This is one of those games you use to weed out which team is gonna be a Wild Card team and which one is gonna be on the outside looking in, I know it's week 1, but this has "tiebreaker in January" written all over it and winning it is gonna give that team a BIG edge when it's close and the Steiner-Math comes out to decide who's in the playoffs for the AFC....I love the Texans D, but with no Foster this offense is just pathetic (and I'm a Hoyer fan too)....I just think the Chiefs find a way and get set for a Wild Card run this year

Miami at Washington:
Again like KC, this ia BIG "show me" game for Miami....Washington stinks, the QB picture is a mess, the D is not very good, and the coach is not good either....Miami has EVERYTHING in place to make the playoffs this year and is out of excuses for the current regime, especially with New England looking a bit beatable this year, it's playoffs or ELSE for Miami....and when you're that kinda team you better jump on Washington early, get their fans angry and stomp them quick and easily....

Colts at Bills:
People are talking big about Indy (mostly because their division spots them six wins a year and locks them into cruise control for a bye week in the playoffs), and Rex Ryan always talks big....it's his thing, the Colt O-Line is so-so and I expect that Billion Dollar Front Four of the Bills to give Luck and Company FITS this week....but it's this whole Tyrod Taylor thing....I'd love to take the Bills, but I'm totally expecting T-Mobile to make a big mistake and the Colts are too good and too experienced to not take advantage.....the Bills will be a scary team but the QB needs to get his feet wet and show me something before I go all in on him

Seattle at St Louis:
I LOVE the Rams in this one....Seattle's O-Line is having issues, the Rams have the best front four in the game, the pressure is all on Seattle, they're not as good on the road and they're starting to see the cracks in the armor (the Chancellor holdout, now Wilson got paid and everyone wants a piece and the pie ain't that big to feed them all)... Lynch is getting older too, this game just has upset written all over it.....

Bengals at Raiders:
The Raiders are actually for once a team the arrow is pointing UP on in a big way, their drafts are better, they have a QB finally, and the Bengals are that classic team that loves to come up soft in the big spot....I don't expect the Raiders to pull an upset here (but they will ruin at least one team's season in the last six games for sure), but they may put up a much bigger fight than people expect....

Giants at Cowboys:
Yes I am a Cowboys fan (if you didn't know).....and yes that sucks horribly living in this area (and explains my hatred for the Jets too), but god damn if I see that teflon-coated one handed sticky glove catch again one more time I'm going to go into the back of my apartment building and start kicking kittens (and Brian if you bait me I will walk down the block and hurt you :p ), its amazing how a catch in a losing effort and when his team didn't score again afterwards has been so blown out of proportion by the "Sports Center highlight" media....seriously. ...the Giants can't run the ball, have a crappy O-Line and look...hey it's JPP....high five!!! No? High four?? No?? High Three and a Half?? Alright!!!...and their defensive line kinda blew up with the fireworks this summer....there might be a thousand points scored in this one (the Dallas "we don't need no RB any fool can run behind our line" theory will be well tested this year....but it's gonna look damn good in Week One)

Phily at Atlanta:
I'm not on the Chip Kelly bandwagon (not because he's an Eagle, I don't have that whole Cowboy-Eagle hate thing down since I hate the team in Green that's closer....heh), but they are one way or another damned fun to watch.....watch Sam Bradford stay healthy all year (I might even make that my bold prediction!)....and how will this warp-speed offense keep up with the big weapons Altanta has, the Eagles do have a better defense, but they're always going to be on the field, won't matter in this game though.... Atlanta's defense is horrible also, and Phily might win this 52-48 or something nuts like that.... at least Gruden won't have time to prattle on incessantly between plays!!

....looking forward to hopefully a good season of lots of football talk!
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Week One!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »
I've been looking forward to seeing what the Raiders could do all offseason. Not AS worried about the defense anymore, though we still need help in the secondary. I'm thinking the pieces are finally falling into place for the defense for the most part though. The offense I'm still a little so-so on. They drafted Cooper who looked sharp in the pre-season, signed Crabtree....I'm just not completely sold on Murray yet.....and a lot of people aren't quite sold on Derrek Carr. Can't count me among those people. Dude wasn't bad last year and unlike his older brother didn't hit the turf 1,000,000 times his rookie season, so he might actually be able to IMPROVE upon his first year, which stats wise wasn't bad. Actually I'd say one of the strengths on offense....was the offensive line! As much as the media would like you to think McFadden was just bad because of the o-line.....no it's because he sucks....not like Trent Richardson sucks....but he still sucks.  :P

Plus this interesting little trinket....Raiders signed Aldon Smith, who honestly if he can get his crap together, and isn't suspended all year, might actually help make even more noise on that stronger defense we have going.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:39:22 PM by The Hurricane »
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »
yeah I saw that....wouldn't be the Raiders without SOME kinda convict on the team  :D

the Raiders aren't better than anyone else in the division (can we move them the to NFC South please?) but they're going in the right way for sure, plus it's nice to knock them off the anti-football list!

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 05:45:51 PM »
yeah I saw that....wouldn't be the Raiders without SOME kinda convict on the team  :D

the Raiders aren't better than anyone else in the division (can we move them the to NFC South please?) but they're going in the right way for sure, plus it's nice to knock them off the anti-football list!

I'm just hoping their play this season ends up with them going in the right direction. I've had this feeling before and have been brought down.....I'd like to at least see a 6 win team.
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline y2zipper

• +15/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:09:15 AM »
The Raiders are about Carr. How much can he improve? He's a good prospect and that helps.

I'm a Bills fan so we'll still be waiting for that first playoff appearance of the millenium. The nice part about this hear is that the 1st 4 weeks are them are going to tell me if they're in the race...

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »
I do think Buffalo and Baltimore will be in that Wild Card Hunt, but I like KC more and it's really do or die for Miami (always a scary reason to pick a team but the talent IS there too)....its always a little harder to make the playoffs in the AFC now

Offline Theren

• +15/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
  I don't know, I think that the Dolphins and Ravens are probably the 2 most likely for the AFC wildcard picture. If nothing else cause they are the least beat up coming out of the preseason and have the most stable of offense/defense balance compared to the other teams.
Clear the Way into a Pop You One. Why? Cause I want my card.

Offline y2zipper

• +15/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 08:27:02 AM »
I do think Buffalo and Baltimore will be in that Wild Card Hunt, but I like KC more and it's really do or die for Miami (always a scary reason to pick a team but the talent IS there too)....its always a little harder to make the playoffs in the AFC now

It's hard to excited about Rex Ryan and Buffalo's QB situation, especially given the first month for the Bills. That's better than EJ Manuel or Cassell playing but there's always the possibility that Taylor stinks.

In the AFC, the division winners are pretty obvious outside of the North.

Indy, New England and Denver are the best teams in that conference, then you have teams like...

Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cincy
San Diego
Buffalo
Kansas City
Miami

And all those teams are fighting for 3 spots, with one going to the north winner.

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »
 :D
the Jets are truly the gift that keeps on giving :)

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 10:56:48 AM »
:D
the Jets are truly the gift that keeps on giving :)

I don't know watching the Browns lead an 11 minute drive and have it end in a fumble in the end zone was definitely a big gift. Especially since it got Josh McClown off the field. lol
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
I love how this is a filtered version of our Facebook conversation  :D

Online BigPimpin

• +275/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 11:56:27 AM »
Week one has always been a weird one, but this one feels weirder than usual.  Who would have guessed that the last 1 PM team to score at all would be the Colts?
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »
Week one has always been a weird one, but this one feels weirder than usual.  Who would have guessed that the last 1 PM team to score at all would be the Colts?

Miami wasn't too far behind either.....Chiefs are showing a LOT too

Online BigPimpin

• +275/-147
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »

Miami wasn't too far behind either.....Chiefs are showing a LOT too

Miami's offense took a quarter and a half off it looks like.  Hopefully they got a wakeup call from the defense.
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
I guess you can call Johnny Manziel....Johnny Fumbleballs now!
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline niiiiick

• +12/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 05:26:43 AM »
As a Titans fan, I've stayed pretty calm about the start...but man Mariota looked good.

I am very realistic knowing that's not what its gonna be like, but after a season like last years, much needed win

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 05:33:16 AM »
As a Titans fan, I've stayed pretty calm about the start...but man Mariota looked good.

I am very realistic knowing that's not what its gonna be like, but after a season like last years, much needed win

At the very least Mariota looked like he belonged out there.......Winston looked like a deer in headlights back in his last BCS game

Week 1 is always the hardest one to predict, just so much you don't know or can really plan for.....like turning off the Cowboys game with 3:00 left to put on the WWE Network just because you're already prepared to crawl in your hole and not dealing with being in NJ for the next 2-3 days :p

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »
Anyone not watching this 49er-Viking game needs to put this on immediately..... blocked FG, fumbled punts.... QB's getting sacked by their own right guards....this game has the making of anti-football Hall of Fame glory!!!  :D

Offline Theren

• +15/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »
   Terrell Suggs out for the season with a torn Achilles and yet another nail is driven into my hopes for a good season for Baltimore. Man the injuries are pilling up across the league in a bad way.
Clear the Way into a Pop You One. Why? Cause I want my card.

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 05:31:13 AM »
That's always the way in Week One....half the time it's the last two teams left standing that win it all

Seattle has a CRITICAL early game next week in Green Bay, they lose Sunday Night and they can kiss home field goodbye (Seattle was due to trip up simply because its so damned hard to stay atop the mountain three years in a row like that)

Online BigPimpin

• +275/-147
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 06:22:21 AM »
I had no idea how many Vikings fans I worked with until I came in and saw their faces.  Man that was a horrid game to watch, and I think everyone needs to pump the brakes on the Vikings as a playoff contender.

And yes, I am choosing to call this game a bit of an outlier on both sides, other than the fact that Minnesota is in deep trouble if it can't get its line troubles in order.  SF will face far stiffer tests this year, and they still may be the 4th best team in their division.  Meanwhile, Minnesota is still tied for 2nd in their division, and they don't have any division losses yet (though the conference loss kind of sucks).  I still think 10-6/9-7 is reasonable given their talent, but I'm not as confident in them as I was being a wild card.

Meanwhile, Atlanta is going to be a handful for anyone they play.  Their defense looks just good enough, and it looks like this coach is smart enough to scheme around their O-line deficiencies.  Atlanta looks like the NFCS winner already.  Philly, we'll see.  Kelly's personnel decisions may have caught up with him, particularly in stubbornly cutting Evan Mathis, because there was a LOT of up the middle run-blitzing that was successful until Philly adjusted to run the sweep right play with Sproles.

The NFCE is wide open this year, the clear best teams (Dallas/Philly) suffered through some mediocre play week 1, and Dallas lost one of their key components in Dez Bryant.  Washington is going to be starting over after this year; the QB's in the house just don't have it (Washington did everything possible to avoid throwing the ball, and if you look at the tape of Cousins you can see why).

Right now I still think Green Bay, Seattle, Dallas, and Philly are too talented to tank out of the playoffs, and I'd add Atlanta to that mix early unless their line regresses to the point of uselessness.  So you're going to have about 5 teams (St. Louis, Minnesota, Arizona, SF, Carolina) and maybe New Orleans looking for Wild Card #2.

In the AFC, Baltimore was a favorite in the division, but I'm not sure they will be now with Suggs and Monroe out.  Denver's good, so that has to be taken into account, but I can't call them division favorites at this point.  Cincinatti may be the least-flawed team in the division, and they may have another ho-hum 10 win season that will be good enough to win the division. 

Out west, Chiefs/Broncos on Thu is going to turn out to be a fascinating game with division implications.  Is Manning really done?  If so, are the Chiefs ready to step on the throats of the Broncos and take over the division?

The AFC East will be the most competitive division in football this year.  All four teams have warts, but all four teams could win that division.  It will come down to division games, and that starts with the Bills and Pats this week.

And the South, meh.  Still Indy's division to lose.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:31:35 AM by BigPimpin »

Offline CRASHER

• +81/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »
Week one is a lot like the pre-season when it comes to stuff like that....you don't get too high on the teams that looked good, but the teams that had horrible outings (Minn, the Giants, Cleveland, Seattle, and I'd even say Miami to an extent) and you start worrying pretty fast

San Fran looked like they had a mismatch of run game vs their run D and exploited it all game long, the Vikings never got Peterson in the game and Teddy looked like Winston last night...least the comedy of errors made that a damned entertaining first half :)

Offline The Hurricane

• The Holy Spirit of TCO
  • +103/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »
I refuse to take week 1 seriously. I mean all the games I watched were train wrecks! ALL OF THEM!  :laugh:
The Hurricane
Yes I'm still here!

Offline niiiiick

• +12/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2015, 02:41:16 PM »
I refuse to take week 1 seriously. I mean all the games I watched were train wrecks! ALL OF THEM!  :laugh:

When the Titans are the highest scoring team in the league...you know something is up  :laugh: