Author Topic: I'm behind the 8-ball on this, but... [Gen Con]  (Read 2860 times)

Offline KD8ESU

• +19/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
I'm behind the 8-ball on this, but... [Gen Con]
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:47:07 PM »
... I FINALLY got word as of leaving work this morning that my requested vacation days for GenCon time was approved.
I could go on about how much of a  :police: it was, and the circumstances on why it was bull :police:it took me this long, but I won't.

The fact is, I should be able to go to the big World Championships this year.

But now, comes the problem.
Because it took me this long, I don't have any of the reservations made, including hotel, or anything for the events.
Granted, driving to Indianapolis is only 5 hours, so plane tickets aren't needed (and either vehicle I could drive would still be cheaper than flying from Columbus).

To simply put it into a one word statement about GenCon for me...
HELP!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:42:52 AM by Daeva »
hXi

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
Re: I'm behind the 8-ball on this, but...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:05:48 AM »
Step 1:

Go to Gencon web page, and buy your full weekend pass.

Step 2:

Figure out how much you're willing to pay per night for your accomodations, combined with how close do you want to stay. Are you willing to drive 20-30 minutes everyday, or would you prefer to be walking distance?

Step 3:

Consider tagging your subject with [Gencon] so that people who might not look at this thread, will look at this thread.

Best of luck. I'm still trying to figure out if I can somehow make it go this year.

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
Re: I'm behind the 8-ball on this, but...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:09:30 AM »
Every year when I go to Gen Con since I drive I stay in the same area about 12 miles from the center....the drive is easy and not too hard and totally worth it if you're looking to shave a few bucks off your trip, just factor in $10 a day to park by the football stadium and you're golden!
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline KD8ESU

• +19/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
Re: I'm behind the 8-ball on this, but... [Gen Con]
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
CRASHER,
Could you give me some more info on this?  I know I had plans to drive in anyway (5 hour drive > flying, especially when I am that guy who needs the flight attendants to sedate him from their fear of heights).  This might seem like the best option unless people on this still want to do random stuff off-hours (I'm looking at you, GreatWhiteDope).

As for Antigoth, if you can't make it, did you still want the World Championship streamed live?  If so, you might want to PM me with some of the details for how you want it done so I can make sure I get my stuff together in case you can't make it.

Edit:  After calling my facility's manager (at home, he's not been one of the problems at work), I completely forgot about the FedEx discount.  If there's still room and you haven't paid, if you're willing to put up with my offbeat shenanigans, I can get the FedEx employee discount.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:35:29 PM by KD8ESU »
hXi

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »
What else did you want to know? I like Super 8's so I went to their website and just looked up hotels near Indy, found a good one about 11 miles out, and it's on a main road so there's tons of food options, Denny's, Hooters, etc even a few local drinkin joints too, let me know if you need something more specifc too

Offline TheGreatWhiteDope

• +30/-24
  • Raw Deal Bullet Club
    • View Profile
    • World Wrestling Insanity
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 06:34:21 PM »
here I'm just going to quote a bunch of different things I've posted on Reddit about Gencon for newcomers as well

badges for preordering are either $70 for 4 days or about $40 for each day separate. Sunday is a family day and 4 badges (2 adults and 2 children) are $35 combined. Parking, in a garage, is about $20 for a full day. You'll have to walk a few blocks. Restaurants are handy and near-by, but there will be those that have 1 hour+ waits.

Hotels are all about what you want. Do you want to be able to walk to and from the convention on a whim and get to a hotel room? Want to be able to put your stuff away and walk empty handed instead of walking around the convention with a bunch of stuff (or hoping you walk by when a locker is free to use)? If you want that convienence, you'll be paying for a connected room near the convention center (sold out now). You'll probably be rooming with some people. Chances are, the price will be split equally between everyone. You'll still be looking at around 150-200 overall (fair guess).

If you want to check a hotel out away from the con you'll spend less, probably have rooms open now, but then be paying for parking/taxi to and from the con.

Tons of events happen at night. Not saying they're all a blast, but it is definitely stuff that can be done a lot easier when your bed is one block away.

There is alcohol everywhere. Beer garden? Check. Bars having gaming? Check. People sitting in a hotel lobby sharing a bottle of vodka? Check.  Honestly, if you're inclined to drink, if you went from group to group, you'd never have to buy alcohol all weekend. But if you sit and game with a group somewhere and they share a bunch of drinks...if things move to another place (bar or something) buy a pitcher. Don't be a dick.

Anything else you want to know? Any specifics? Send me a PM or ask here.
AotF
"If man should decide to dabble in my affairs, then guardians must intervene. But, should I come fourth to change the face of man with you there to challenge me then I shall return with the stars to destroy all I have made. Whether man or I present the danger will not be told in the coming"

Offline KD8ESU

• +19/-17
  • Ninja Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
Regarding parking, from everything it looks like, I'd be paying about the same for the vehicle no matter what way I went (staying near or driving in from outside each day).
My only concern would be if I needed to bring equipment for the finals of the World Championships.  That, and if we're going to do the TCO After Dark idea we had going a little while back.

As I stated, I have a work discount (one of the few good things about being a FedEx slave), and depending on what the discounts are for each hotel would also play into where I would stay.

The sad thing is, as of right now, I'm coming by myself (since it looks like I'm the only one from this area going, except for the local hobby store owner,m but he's a piece of  :police:).  Unless someone on here needs to room with anyone (since I think I'll only use it for sleep, storage, and shower), I'll probably be by myself.

As for the booze thing... I don't drink, so the whole free alcohol thing means about as much as a painting to a blind man:  Good for you, doesn't matter to me.
If I sound like a dick about it, I'm sorry, it's just that booze and I aren't on good terms.
hXi

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »
Parking is $10 a day by the football stadium which is next to the conn-center....as for the rest I have noooo idea....I kinda wing the rest of the week outside of the Raw Deal events, and that's all I ask for....the making it up as I go tends to suit me well for that one week of the year :)

• +30/-24
  • Raw Deal Bullet Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 01:21:16 AM »
Regarding parking, from everything it looks like, I'd be paying about the same for the vehicle no matter what way I went (staying near or driving in from outside each day).
My only concern would be if I needed to bring equipment for the finals of the World Championships.  That, and if we're going to do the TCO After Dark idea we had going a little while back.

As I stated, I have a work discount (one of the few good things about being a FedEx slave), and depending on what the discounts are for each hotel would also play into where I would stay.

The sad thing is, as of right now, I'm coming by myself (since it looks like I'm the only one from this area going, except for the local hobby store owner,m but he's a piece of  :police:).  Unless someone on here needs to room with anyone (since I think I'll only use it for sleep, storage, and shower), I'll probably be by myself.

As for the booze thing... I don't drink, so the whole free alcohol thing means about as much as a painting to a blind man:  Good for you, doesn't matter to me.
If I sound like a dick about it, I'm sorry, it's just that booze and I aren't on good terms.

I was just throwing out a copy and paste of a bunch of first-timer questions I've answered over on reddit. They just ranged in questions from "are there any bars nearby" to "how does parking work?" for people who haven't been, there are questions that span the gambit. I just figured a range of things may help the best in the generic start.

Your Fed-Ex discount might be good, but central housing (hotels located within a few blocks of gencon/hotels attached to Gencon via skywalk) might be 100% sold out for the weekend. You can check, but those rates may not be best. Gencon's forums sometimes have people needing to get rid of a room or finding someone to share a room with for a weekend as well, so checking there is a good place to see what is going down.

I'll keep my ear to the ground on anything hotel wise. If something pops up worth checking out, I'll send you a PM.
AotF
"If man should decide to dabble in my affairs, then guardians must intervene. But, should I come fourth to change the face of man with you there to challenge me then I shall return with the stars to destroy all I have made. Whether man or I present the danger will not be told in the coming"

Offline Commissioner D2

• Raw Deal Director of Cards
  • Global Moderator
  • +156/-151
  • Made @VelaCards happen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »

I wanted to touch on this real quick, as some who haven't been to Con before aren't familiar with this.

It has become a long standing tradition that the Finals for the World Championship be held off-site from Gen Con, harking back to the days of trying to squeeze the tournament into a Sunday only to get kicked out if the convention center when they close down.  The official location for the Finals of the 2014 Workd Championship will be announced at Gen Con once we have scouted out a suitable place (usually the lobby of one of our hotels).
WWE Raw Deal Commissioner and Director of Cards
The Original Hardcore Mallet-Swinging Freak
#NateHatesMeToo
Official Outside Consultant of Team Niki Heber and Friends...and Mitch!
I made @VelaCards happen!!!!!

• +30/-24
  • Raw Deal Bullet Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »

I wanted to touch on this real quick, as some who haven't been to Con before aren't familiar with this.

It has become a long standing tradition that the Finals for the World Championship be held off-site from Gen Con, harking back to the days of trying to squeeze the tournament into a Sunday only to get kicked out if the convention center when they close down.  The official location for the Finals of the 2014 Workd Championship will be announced at Gen Con once we have scouted out a suitable place (usually the lobby of one of our hotels).

I may have the official perfect place for such an event actually.....
AotF

Offline unknown_soldier78

• +39/-62
  • Mamajawma.com (I could watch CHL 100x still laugh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 06:57:07 AM »
When is gencon? I have never been and if I am able to go everything is going to be last minute. So rooming with people will be needed because it will probably be to expensive to go by myself and I also don't know the area and I have to fly in. I gotta save money to go and while I am there because that is a deal breaker.

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »
When is gencon? I have never been and if I am able to go everything is going to be last minute. So rooming with people will be needed because it will probably be to expensive to go by myself and I also don't know the area and I have to fly in. I gotta save money to go and while I am there because that is a deal breaker.

August 14-17

http://www.lastminute.com/

This is your friend, I went to a Gen Con about 7 years ago and barely paid $500 for flight, hotel and rental car, keep it in mind if you're scrambling as the con gets nearer