Author Topic: Weird Ways Raw Deal Has Come Up in Every Day Life?  (Read 4855 times)

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +118/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
Weird Ways Raw Deal Has Come Up in Every Day Life?
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:25:23 AM »
This isn't strictly about Raw Deal, so I put it in general chat. Just a weird little thing I wanted to share.

Recently I had the fortune to go straight from graduate student to actual librarian in the Milwaukee Public Library system. Now, as part of my job, I have to look for new ideas for library outreach and the like. So when I saw a concept called 'LibraryBox' on libraryjournal.com, I was intrigued. It was a self-contained unit that could generate a wi-fi network just for itself, to distribute Creative Commons and Public Domain materials at any location you took the unit to. I'm currently working on writing up a proposal for the library to do just that. But the real surprise came when I saw who had first developed the LibraryBox.

Former Raw Dealer Jason Griffey.

Anyone else have strange, unexpected occurrences of Raw Deal in their lives outside of gaming?
Timothy J. Rush, Permanent Iowa City Raw Deal Champion
Member of Team Niki Heber and Friends

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Ways Raw Deal Has Come Up in Every Day Life?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:32:44 AM »
Mr. Griffey is actually quite the technical person, yes.  :)

Sadly, he seems to have no further interest in Raw Deal...

I do know that making Virtual cards has taught me graphical skills I didn't have before, which has lead to my side project - making more graphical website designs.  :)

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »
Anyone else have strange, unexpected occurrences of Raw Deal in their lives outside of gaming?

Because of how much gaming is interwoven with my life, it's hard to draw that line of "Outside of Gaming"

Offline pecis

• +4/-7
  • Big all over
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
not really out of gaming but i was on a halo 2 team back in the day for awhile. after playing with the team for around a year i found out that the other player from wisconsin on the team was actually someone i played raw deal with every week in beaver dam.  small world
FREE REDNUGS

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
Recently I had the fortune to go straight from graduate student to actual librarian in the Milwaukee Public Library system. Now, as part of my job, I have to look for new ideas for library outreach and the like. So when I saw a concept called 'LibraryBox' on libraryjournal.com, I was intrigued. It was a self-contained unit that could generate a wi-fi network just for itself, to distribute Creative Commons and Public Domain materials at any location you took the unit to. I'm currently working on writing up a proposal for the library to do just that. But the real surprise came when I saw who had first developed the LibraryBox.

Former Raw Dealer Jason Griffey.

BTW, Griffey says if you have any questions, let him know.  :)

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline calvinpatten

• +5/-5
  • God Bless Texas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »
A large group of my friends were all made through CCG's Raw Deal being a big one. I have been blessed to meet and get to hang out with the majority of you at major conventions.  I have been very blessed over the last 2-3 years. Marrying the love of my life and my best friend, Getting financially secure due to being a degenerate gambler. LOL Joining a group of friends and their website www.zerofortitude.c om (Also friends from Raw Deal). Securing a job in a field that I am very passionate about.  Working with former Raw Deal Heavyweight Champion Ric "Medium Sexy" Pitman on a possible upcoming game.  Thanks to Raw Deal I have also learned patience during long poker tournaments.  Raw Deal has become a very important part of my life, inside and outside of gaming.
Don't Hate me cause I'm Better Than You! RKO

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +118/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »

BTW, Griffey says if you have any questions, let him know.  :)

CREED

Ha! Good to know. Now I don't have to do the super awkward 'Hey, you probably don't remember me, but I remember you' thing.

Because of how much gaming is interwoven with my life, it's hard to draw that line of "Outside of Gaming"

And true that. It used to be that gaming had influenced so much in my life that it was hard to find that line, too. Grad school sadly killed a lot of my gaming, so that 'solved' that for me, for a good long time...

Offline HalfBadger

• Team Canada's Genetic Jackhammer
  • +13/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:37:04 PM »
I haven't been very active in the gaming/sci-fi/fantasy scene for the last couple of years and have changed my look (contacts and shaved head) so many ppl don't recognize me as often at cons etc, so when I do cross paths with other gamers/s/f fans or happen to go to a con here in Winnipeg I find ways to name drop Antigoth's name and the ppl suddenly accept me as a legit gamer/s/f/ fan. ;)

Also being active in the rules forum and being invited into a playtester like exclusive rules forum back in the day, helped me realize that being a rules lawyer means I'm good with logic etc, which helped give me confidence when I was having trouble with school, when I went back to get my Math/Stats degree.

it also helps when watching WWE, because I name many movies that the announcers seemed baffled what to call. Especially signature moves, like Trish's maTrish movie, the announcers tend(ed) to call it a matrix like move. I find giving signature moves cool names, is an under appreciated part of Raw Deal.

Another aspect is selling cards on ebay, not only gave me lots of positive feedback and helping my ebay rating, but gave me experience and confidence to use ebay. Many of my friends and family seem to be intimidated by Ebay would rather put things on Kijiji. This might be easier, I've sometimes research what things go for on ebay and helped ppl (including myself) buy and sell things for good prices. This was especially helpful as a student, when for whatever reason a course switched textbooks used, in between semesters (during the same school year). The University bookstore wouldn't buy back my book. So I went on ebay and my 200+ rating as a buyer and seller, seemed to give me an edge over other ebayers trying to sell the same book, who had primarily used ebay to buy things. Selling items all over the world and getting top feedback gives potential buyers confidence. Thanks Raw Dealers who bought my auctions  ;D
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun-Tzu

2007 Winnipeg Regional Champion

Offline C M Punk

• +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:05 AM »
I have 4-5 close friends I talk to nearly every week that became friends because of Raw Deal. I even got a part time job selling cards online and in a local game store because I was told I am a sorting and pricing machine lol.

Offline CRASHER

• +91/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 08:36:14 AM »
my half-sister is dating my "son" who I met through Raw Deal tournaments in Westfield over 10 years ago.... family holiday dinners might get weird..... :o
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline griffey

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
    • jasongriffey.net
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
Mr. Griffey is actually quite the technical person, yes.  :)

Sadly, he seems to have no further interest in Raw Deal...

I do know that making Virtual cards has taught me graphical skills I didn't have before, which has lead to my side project - making more graphical website designs.  :)

CREED

I wouldn't say _no_ further interest, but yes...moving into my career, writing 2 books, speaking nationally and internationally, and having a daughter sort of ate any time that I had for pretty much anything else.

Plus, not to put to fine a point on it, but after Barron's death, I just...couldn't. Was just too hard.

But cool to see my name pop up here after all these years. :-)

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »
:o  :D

Welcome back! 

CREED

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +118/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »
I wouldn't say _no_ further interest, but yes...moving into my career, writing 2 books, speaking nationally and internationally, and having a daughter sort of ate any time that I had for pretty much anything else.

Plus, not to put to fine a point on it, but after Barron's death, I just...couldn't. Was just too hard.

What a coincidence, I was just doing further LibraryBox research today to help write up a formal proposal to my bosses!

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »

Congrats on the success! It seems like your life has been interesting!

Glad to see you pop in again. You've been missed.

Offline griffey

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
    • jasongriffey.net
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »

Congrats on the success! It seems like your life has been interesting!

Glad to see you pop in again. You've been missed.

Means a lot coming from you, Antigoth. Thanks!

Offline griffey

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
    • jasongriffey.net
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »

What a coincidence, I was just doing further LibraryBox research today to help write up a formal proposal to my bosses!

Seriously, email me if you'd like any help. I'd love to see the proposal, frankly...love to know what people are doing with the project. If you haven't looked at the new website yet (well, new as of a month ago), definitely do...lots of good use-case stuff there. http://librarybox.us

Thanks again for the welcome, gang. Means a lot to me.

Offline Daddy

• 2005 Texas Shoot Out Champ
  • +32/-24
  • Who's Your Daddy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 06:41:30 AM »
Holy crap, it's Griffey!

I guess I shouldn't say that since I haven't logged in here in like a year myself...

I'll tell Evan you are still around!
MediaHardcore.com (Content coming soon!)

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +118/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »
Necrothread, Riiiiise!

http://www.infodocket.com/2014/04/22/jason-griffeys-librarybox-project-awarded-knight-foundation-prototype-grant/

- I just felt like sharing this, for the folks that remember him. Looks like Mr. Griffey and the Librarybox project just won an awesome grant. :)

Offline dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • +50/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »
Necrothread, Riiiiise!

http://www.infodocket.com/2014/04/22/jason-griffeys-librarybox-project-awarded-knight-foundation-prototype-grant/

- I just felt like sharing this, for the folks that remember him. Looks like Mr. Griffey and the Librarybox project just won an awesome grant. :)

Oh, crap. TimJR's a Black Lantern now! RUUUUUNNNNN!!!!

Nice work, Griffey!
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Online Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 3 Judge, Old Man of the Mountain
  • Administrator
  • +320/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »
That is obscenely awesome. Huge congratulations to Mr. Griffey!
Nate Weiss, Retired Dealer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Steve Resk

• Global Moderator
  • +10/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »
I know that there are many words and phrases that i hear in everyday conversation and my I brain can never hear without immediately going to raw deal. I'm sure many of you know what I am talking about. Also raw deal and wrestling references make me unstoppable in the game taboo.

Kane's _____ pile driver.
The road to _____.
here comes the ______.
The Texas rattle _______.

Are all legal plays.

Also I have developed a huge love for traveling, this may of all started with Raw Deal Events. Not to mention, I idolize BVT.

Congrats to mr Griffey!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:23:12 PM by Steve Resk »
#NATEHATESME
Proof reading in fear of Daeva's wrath since 2/10/14

The SRG B-O double S, your 2 minute man, always rollin, never trollin, straight out of GrandMachines basement.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1918193924/supershow-the-game-going-over-srg-universe

”Going Over” is live 2/23/20

Offline unknown_soldier78

• +39/-62
  • Mamajawma.com (I could watch CHL 100x still laugh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 12:20:29 PM »
My buddy went to a con and ran into a former player while waiting in line and somehow Raw Deal came up in there conversation and he says my buddy (ME) plays raw deal too but he did not remember the guy's name.