Author Topic: The New Batman in Man of Steel 2  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +311/-213
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
Re: The New Batman in Man of Steel 2
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
I was trying to show the hypocrisy of people saying "Ben affleck will ruin this because of acting roles he took a decade ago."

Sarcasm doesn't really come across well over text.

I'm reserving judgment until I see the trailers.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline TheGreatWhiteDope

• +30/-24
  • Raw Deal Bullet Club
    • View Profile
    • World Wrestling Insanity
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »
The acting won't be the question. These guys got it in spades. The problem is we have to worry about Zack Snyder's writing and directing. That's where the flaws will probably be.
AotF
"If man should decide to dabble in my affairs, then guardians must intervene. But, should I come fourth to change the face of man with you there to challenge me then I shall return with the stars to destroy all I have made. Whether man or I present the danger will not be told in the coming"

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/you-should-give-ben-affleck-a-shot-at-batman

Ugh, the dad from Malcolm in the Middle (Bryan Cranston) is playing Led Luther and signed a 6-10 movie deal. Here's to this franchise officially dying with such a joke in a leading role.

Youre kidding me right?  Have you heard of a little show called Breaking Bad? We should be so lucky to have Bryan Cranston as Lex.  The only person I thought would be better in the rule was Bruce Willis.

I was trying to show the hypocrisy of people saying "Ben affleck will ruin this because of acting roles he took a decade ago." Vs what everyone will say about Cranston because of what he is doing now and not what he was doing a decade ago.

How is that hypocrisy? Nobody cares what somebody did or didn't do, they just have pictured his face and voice in the role and don't like it.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

• +30/-24
  • Raw Deal Bullet Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »
Wrong choice of word, I can admit that. But can we seriously sit and look at Christian Bale and say he was a great batman? The dialogue was great, but that voice? Come on man....
AotF
"If man should decide to dabble in my affairs, then guardians must intervene. But, should I come fourth to change the face of man with you there to challenge me then I shall return with the stars to destroy all I have made. Whether man or I present the danger will not be told in the coming"

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
Some guys pull off Batman, but Bruce Wayne is weak (Keaton, Kilmer).
Some a better Wayne than Batman (Clooney).
I think Bale was a good middle ground though I liked him better as Wayne.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline BigJohnStudd

• +67/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 05:40:04 AM »
Some guys pull off Batman, but Bruce Wayne is weak (Keaton, Kilmer).
Some a better Wayne than Batman (Clooney).
I think Bale was a good middle ground though I liked him better as Wayne.

I think Keaton was a better "detective" Batman. Bale was the best Wayne IMO.

While we're stumping for new Jokers, I know he's old, but Mark Hamill's a good enough actor that he could still make it work, and we KNOW he has the voice for it.

I would love to see Hamill. When you think about it how old was Jack Nickelson when 89 batman came out?  About the age that Hamill is now so I don't think having him as The Joker would be so bad.  Especially since this movie seems to be going The Dark Knight returns and it has a older Batman so you would need an older Joker. Wouldn't happen in a million years though, but we can dream. At least we got to see Hamill's rendition of The Cocknocker lol :)

Although I am VERY happy to see Bryan Cranston cast as Lex Luthor. If you haven't seen him in Breaking Bad you really are doing yourself an injustice.
Final World rank 25th
Final 2007 rank (last year of CI keeping tabs... 2nd in the world)

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
  • 2004! Neutral Ground Qualifier Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2013, 05:55:49 AM »
Yikes I found Michael Keaton as a terrible Batman.  Batman is a physical demanding role and the fact he only wore the suit in close ups for the first one and close ups and the last scene in Batman Returns lowers his grade to me. 

I find Val Kilmer was the best Batman *until Bale* as he was a great Bruce Wayne and the fact he did all but 2 stunts himself in the Batsuit deserving of respect.

And we just wont talk about George Clooney

Offline Rein

• +47/-54
  • Stop calling me Teen Wolf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
The acting won't be the question. These guys got it in spades. The problem is we have to worry about Zack Snyder's writing and directing. That's where the flaws will probably be.

Which is where this may be an even better hire, Affleck does know his flicks.

Offline Prong1978

• The Stadium - Bay City, MI
  • TCO Donor
  • +163/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 06:41:51 PM »
Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer and Christian Bale are all above average actors.

In my opinion, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale were better than the others as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

This isn't because Keaton and Bale are better actors than Kilmer and Clooney, it's because they had better material to work with and incredibly talented actors to play "against".

I think that if Affleck has the right material to work with, he'll be fine.

Random Fun Fact: At 6'3" Ben Affleck is the tallest actor to play Batman while Henry Cavill at 6'1" is the shortest actor to play Superman in a feature film.  In the comics, Superman is usually taller than Batman.

For the record:

I was skeptical of Beetlejuice playing Batman, but it worked out fine.

I was skeptical of Heath Ledger as the Joker, but was blown away by his performance and really wished he could have been in the Dark Knight Rises.

I was completely onboard 100% when I heard that Robert Downey Jr. was going to be Iron Man.  Other choices in comic book films that seemed equally obvious from the beginning are Michael Caine as Alfred, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox and Patrick Stewart as Professor X.

The only time I've been right in predicting the failure of a particular comic book casting was Arnold as Mr. Freeze.

Tommy Lee Jones (Two Face), Jim Carrey (Riddler) and Uma Thurman (Poison Ivy) were all fantastic choices for the villains they played, but were failed by bad scripts and silly producing ideas.

Finally, I'd like to point out that I like the Christian Bale Batman growl/yell.  If I were a criminal and heard that voice sneak up on me, I'd most likely crap my pants.  It's very effective and makes him sound significantly different than Bruce Wayne.
Original owner of the one and only Kurt Angle Backstage Signature card.

Offline drjschell

• +16/-37
  • "P6!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 09:08:33 PM »
I preferred Keaton in the 'comic book-like' movies. I thought he really tapped into both, Wayne's billionaire swagger AND Batman's dark and mysterious side.

However, as far as a more 'real' and gritty Wayne and Batman, Christian Bale is hard to beat.

Due to Bale's methodical nature of acting, he really sunk himself into the role and became Wayne/Batman. For example, name another Batman actor who dedicated themselves enough to be shown with their shirt off to show their bruises and scars that Batman acquires during battle all the time. Bale was in great shape, just like I would image the Batman character to be. I'm sure you all have heard about and respect how Bale gained 60 lbs of pure muscle in ONLY 2 months to beef up for Batman Begins, even though he was already guaranteed the part, because he didn't want to 'short-change' the believability of Batman's physique. Here is a link to the 2 month before/after picture in case you forgot has unbelievably drastic his transformation was.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://breakthehuddle.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/bale-weight-differential.jpg&imgrefurl=http://breakthehuddle.wordpress.com/tag/christian-bale-before-and-after-weight-gain/&h=271&w=462&sz=64&tbnid=Ryoh-hnQCwF1AM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=153&zoom=1&usg=__mCnQzWQ7oVY8JhuIrOkBXHHPtVw=&docid=WcDugRN55i9DFM&sa=X&ei=tcwaUsbULuz84AO_zoCgDg&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAw&dur=0

To me, Batman has always been a complete dedication to fighting skills and physique, as much as he is committed to investigative techniques, gadgets, the powers of distraction, intimidation, and elusiveness.

And no one has accomplished that combat-ready and physical 'look' more than Bale on screen. His commitment to training and physical discipline and sacrifices will undoubtedly never be equaled.

At no point during viewing of the Nolan trilogy, did I ever feel like what I was viewing was being forced or concocted just to sell some tickets. And that confidence in believability starts and ends with Bale. With Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, it just felt like way too much was going on with theatrics and the story was getting lost as they tried to cram too much into those. And obviously, like a previous Team Canada member already pointed out, the material and production team were far less superior in those two, but still, had they had a strong Batman to hold them together, it might have worked better.

So, I can't give the 'BEST' Batman award to anybody else after what Bale accomplished. His dedication to his craft and work ethic led to at least 2 of the best comic movies to EVER be made. To me, he is hands down...The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be!  ;D

AND AS FAR AS BEN AFFLECK GOES.....well, after what he and his production team did to Daredevil, and then left it for dead, vowing to NEVER play another super-hero again, wI personally think he owes us comic fans. So now that the die is cast, he better deliver the goods this time or I'm gonna burn my copy of Good Will Hunting AND Argo!!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:23:25 PM by drjschell »

- The P6 Peep

"Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!"

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 07:22:48 AM »
Lo Val Kilmer did, in scene after where Robin saves him from the fire and being buried alive.  He's covered in bruises and Alfred is stitching him up as Robin is making jokes about needing a super hero name

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 07:23:16 AM »
Furthermore, Nolan is the only director to fully grasp the meaning of Batman.  Batman is the man, Bruce Wayne is just the mask
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 07:26:17 AM by JaysonPhenix »

Offline TRash

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »
The timing of the Batfleck news was perfect in my world as I was going to see Kevin Smith over the weekend. After the movie he came out and did a Q&A session and before the first question he addressed the issue knowing it would come up. He has 100% faith that Afleck is the best person you could have play Batman and not because of previous jokes, but he feels Ben has real love for the character, they bonded over their love for Batman. He told a story about when he bought Alfelecks old house that he had been building a Batcave in it. He basically said if this goes down as a less than desirable Batman then it wouldn't have been that Ben wasn't cut for the part and that it would be that the role/script just wasn't written well, and his performance wouldn't be able to make a difference on that anyway. He also discussed his performance in Dare Devil briefly saying there wasn't enough care put into that movie from the beginning for it to have ever turned out well no mater who got the roll. So he wants people to give it a chance and that people couldn't know, not knowing Bens passion for Batman, if he could do the role justice or not and said everyone should go see the movie when it comes out, evaluate it logically and then give an opinion if hes cut for the role or not.
This was also like a 25 min rant about it to so that big ol body of text is actually a super short version.

I never saw Dare Devil as I just don't care about that character at so there is no fear in my mind over how Ben has handled Super Hero roles in the past, so I have the wait and see attitude.
I also mainly only stick to reading the comics so I may very well just not see the film all together.

Offline rated SRH

• +27/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »
Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer and Christian Bale are all above average actors.

In my opinion, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale were better than the others as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

This isn't because Keaton and Bale are better actors than Kilmer and Clooney, it's because they had better material to work with and incredibly talented actors to play "against".

I think that if Affleck has the right material to work with, he'll be fine.

Random Fun Fact: At 6'3" Ben Affleck is the tallest actor to play Batman while Henry Cavill at 6'1" is the shortest actor to play Superman in a feature film.  In the comics, Superman is usually taller than Batman.

For the record:

I was skeptical of Beetlejuice playing Batman, but it worked out fine.

I was skeptical of Heath Ledger as the Joker, but was blown away by his performance and really wished he could have been in the Dark Knight Rises.

I was completely onboard 100% when I heard that Robert Downey Jr. was going to be Iron Man.  Other choices in comic book films that seemed equally obvious from the beginning are Michael Caine as Alfred, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox and Patrick Stewart as Professor X.

The only time I've been right in predicting the failure of a particular comic book casting was Arnold as Mr. Freeze.

Tommy Lee Jones (Two Face), Jim Carrey (Riddler) and Uma Thurman (Poison Ivy) were all fantastic choices for the villains they played, but were failed by bad scripts and silly producing ideas.

Finally, I'd like to point out that I like the Christian Bale Batman growl/yell.  If I were a criminal and heard that voice sneak up on me, I'd most likely crap my pants.  It's very effective and makes him sound significantly different than Bruce Wayne.

Tommy Lee Jones was a TERRIBLE Two-Face. Also Jim Carrey acted more like the Joker than The Riddler.Now back to Jones that performance SUCKED.Two-Face was NOT a happy go lucky character.He was obsessed with duality and rather serious character.
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

• +30/-24
  • Raw Deal Bullet Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 07:46:04 AM »
script + direction = bigger issue than actors cast.

Zack Snyder should bring lots of worry to those two parts. Ben having an overview of the writing is a huge bonus. Snyder can adapt pretty ok. Ben can write damn fine dialogue and a cohesive script. The two, if meshing well together, should deliver a pretty good script. Snyder can adapt, Ben can do dialogue.

Acting won't be an issue from any of these people. if the film fails, it will be from a script/direction standpoint.
AotF

Online dilbert505

• +46/-41
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 07:54:53 AM »
Tommy Lee Jones was a TERRIBLE Two-Face. Also Jim Carrey acted more like the Joker than The Riddler.Now back to Jones that performance SUCKED.Two-Face was NOT a happy go lucky character.He was obsessed with duality and rather serious character.

That's more the fault of the script and Joel Schumacher than Tommy Lee Jones, though. Jones is a very good actor, and entirely capable of being a dark, serious character, but when the movie's blatantly being written as a panto farce, that's the performance you give.

If they wanted Jones to play a Two-Face more in line with Aaron Eckhart's, he'd have been very good at it. Unfortunately, they wanted a Two-Face hopped up on speed, and that's what he gave them.

As for Jim Carrey, he basically played the Riddler as the Mask if he were a villain. Again, they were in a weird, goofy movie, and lo and behold, he gave them a weird, goofy performance.

Basically, the problem with the Joel Schumacher Batman films is that they were Joel Schumacher Batman films. I enjoyed them when they came out, but I was a kid, right in their target audience. I can't even watch them now, because they're terrible, but they weren't written for 30 year old me. They were written for 12-year-olds.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline rated SRH

• +27/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
It was an all star cast. With a TNA level of execution.
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Rein

• +47/-54
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »
None of this matters until we know who Superman is anyway.  If the right person is there for Ben to play off of, this could actually be quite fantastic.  It's not a one star movie by any means.

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »
None of this matters until we know who Superman is anyway.  If the right person is there for Ben to play off of, this could actually be quite fantastic.  It's not a one star movie by any means.

Uh same guy who was Superman in Man of Steel

Offline Rein

• +47/-54
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Sorry, how dare I not know if the guy was signed on for more movies. 

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 03:20:33 PM »
Sorry, how dare I not know if the guy was signed on for more movies.  

if it wasnt the same guy this thread would be twice as long with also everyone complaining about it being a reboot again

If Cranston’s potential six appearance deal seems a little crazy to you, industry rumors are also whispering that Affleck’s deal could call for up to thirteen appearances. While the assumption is that many of those appearances are likely to be Marvel style cameos, it would confirm that Warner Bros. has grand plans for developing the DC Comics franchises in a way that mirrors Marvel’s The Avengers.

And as if all of these rumors weren’t enough, now there’s talk that Matt Damon is being considered for either Aquaman or the Martian Manhunter — which isn’t exactly a surprise given Affleck’s involvement, but should make for plenty of great Good Will Hunting jokes.

How do you feel about the casting of Ben Affleck and the potential casting of Bryan Cranston and Matt Damon?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:40:14 PM by JaysonPhenix »

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +479/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
I've stayed out of this (I think?  Can't recall if I posted) because I've seen a bunch of weird superhero movie castings in the last 20 years that I didn't think would work, and was pleasantly surprised.  After the initial shock of Affleck, I figure I'll give it a chance and see how it goes.  It's really all about the script.

But getting Bryan Cranston, wow, that really turns up my interest level.. he's been so amazing on Breaking Bad, he's reached that point where I'm much more interested in seeing something if he's in it (like the Total Recall remake, which was decent).  So yeah, I'll be there for Man of Steel II or whatever they call it.

Matt Damon, he's good, sure.. why not.

CREED
Virtual 8: Over the Limit (A) Sept. 1st (B) Oct 31st - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullar