Author Topic: Is it hypocritical?  (Read 1238 times)

Queensryche

Is it hypocritical?
« on: August 19, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »
A thought popped into my head today which is making me think that a stance I take on something is hypocritical due to my actions.

When the debate broke out a couple months back about the Washington Redskins and whether the use of their name is inappropriate due to the connotations behind it, rather than jump to a conclusion, I looked into things. After looking into the issue, I concluded that the term "redskin" is offensive and should be changed due to these factors:

-Its historical meaning as a slur
-The fact that Native Americans by and large object to it
-The fact that the name was bestowed upon the team by founder George Preston Marshall, one of the most virulent racists in the history of American sports.

Well, today it popped into my head that I may be hypocritical because, as a supporter of Tottenham Hotspur in the Barclays Premier League, I refer to myself and other fans as "yids", which historically is an anti-Semitic term.

To explain: Spurs supporters were often targeted by supporters of opposing clubs for being the "Jewish" club (the section of London their home pitch is in was historically a Jewish neighborhood. Nowadays it's one of the most diverse places in the world) and as a result, the fans of opposing clubs would shout anti-Semitic slurs at them. One such slur, "yid", was adopted by Jewish Spurs supporters as a way of referring to their fandom in order to counter the venom thrown at them and in an effort to change the meaning of the word from being an anti-Semitic slur to synonymous with "Spurs supporter". Since then, the term has been adopted by Spurs supporters of all backgrounds.

I'm thinking on one hand I'm being hypocritical for using the term to refer to my support because if I object to one, I should object to all. But on the other hand, I tend to think it's different because it isn't the club itself calling themselves that, but a term amongst fans to refer to their fandom. It would be fair to mention that the club itself has backed fans when UEFA suggested that they should stop doing that due to the fact that some clubs around Europe have supporters that still hurl anti-Semitic slurs at the club and its fans. Plus, the club still has a large Jewish fanbase who use the term without hesitation in referring to themselves.

So I ask this of you TCO: am I a hypocrite for objecting to "Redskins" but using the term "yid" to refer to my fandom of Spurs? Or is it different like part of me suggests?

Offline Prong1978

• The Stadium - Bay City, MI
  • TCO Donor
  • +163/-103
    • View Profile
Re: Is it hypocritical?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Opinion:  It's either all OK, or none of it's OK.
Original owner of the one and only Kurt Angle Backstage Signature card.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
Offense should be taken with intent. It sounds like neither team conveys intent. Very few people see Redskin as anything other than a football moniker.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline Rein

• +47/-54
  • Stop calling me Teen Wolf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »
You guys are bigger football guys than I am, but you would know this probably:  Didn't they do some surveys where a vast majority of Native American tribes basically said they didn't care?

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »
Most of my Indian friends like the name, the others don't watch football and don't care. It's mostly white non-football fans that I've heard complained about it.

Queensryche

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:29:52 PM »
I've heard Native Americans that don't care, and I've heard those who take offense. There have been Native American symposiums which have stated that the name is offensive due to its racist connotations.

I will admit my biggest factor in deciding that "Redskins" was objectionable was due to George Preston Marshall, who as I stated was a racist prick (Actual quote from him: "We'll sign Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters sign whites." Talk about missing the point!). Based on the fact that a virulent racist named the team.........I have a problem with it.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:35:58 PM »
I have a problem with the words Native American meaning Indian since anybody born in America should be considered a native American, but I certainly don't expect everybody else to change because of me. I know there is no ill intent behind it, I won't lose sleep over it.