Author Topic: another question about total package :X  (Read 1971 times)

Offline bloop26

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
another question about total package :X
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
does increasing pre-match and mid-match also count for: Your cards cannot be modified by non-Backstage card effects?

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
Re: another question about total package :X
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:16:44 AM »
In that case:
A card that does not take up a slot is not modifying a card.
A card that increases your pre-match capacity is not modifying a card, but a card that adds that text to "your next pre-match played" is modifying a card.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Offline bloop26

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
In that case:
A card that increases your pre-match capacity is not modifying a card, but a card that adds that text to "your next pre-match played" is modifying a card.

ahhh! i see! so im gonna BASH your brains in did not modify, merely added! thanks, pardon for my silly question. just had to be sure haha

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 3 Judge, Old Man of the Mountain
  • Administrator
  • +320/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
In that case:

This is untrue. Making a card not take a slot is a modification to that card. Increasing your Capacity is a modification to your game state, and Package can't block that. Of course, adding text to a card is a modification.
Nate Weiss, Retired Dealer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
I should have said that the card is modifying itself and not another card.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, if the card states on it it that it "does not take up a slot" it is not modifying itself. It is actually just stating what it does or doesn't do. It is also modifying the game state, or more specifically the pre-match rule, not a card.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:36:33 AM by Daeva »

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +320/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
I should have said that the card is modifying itself and not another card.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, if the card states on it it that it "does not take up a slot" it is not modifying itself.

No, it's modifying itself, but that's fine. Cards are always allowed to modify themselves. Package can't stop a card from modding itself. Back Throw will still be -5F and +5D as a maneuver for Package.

A card that intrinsically doesn't take up a slot modifies itself to do so, but that isn't something that can be stopped. Trying to imprint that identity on another card (like the pre-adjustment Saturday Night's Main Event) is a modification and is blocked.
"You're no fun." -Creed
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
I get that a card that is "-5 F if" is modifying itself, because the F printed on the card is being changed. In the "does not take up a slot" example nothing on the physical card is any different. The only thing that changes is the state of the pre-match. Are we to assume that every pre-match card has hidden text (for lack of a better term) that states "this card takes up one pre-match slot."? I'm certainly not trying to argue the ruling, I'm just trying to make sense of it.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
There is no hidden text, it is a game rule.  Altering it requires modification to the card.

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:29:42 PM »
I get that breaking the game rule requires explicit text on a card to do so. I don't get how the card is being modified. It seems like the game rule is what is being modified to me.

Is a a requirement of being played after a successfully played card considered to be modifying a card? The restriction breaks a game rule of being able to play a card with the proper fortitude.

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +320/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »
Making a card not take up a Pre-match slot is modifying the playability of the card, just like a Fortitude modification or adding/subtracting "can only be played" text.

Changing Capacity sidesteps this by altering the game state of your slots available.
"You're no fun." -Creed

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
All right, modifying the playability of the card totally makes sense to me. I know it is semantics in a way, but I was trying to wrap my head around the reasoning. So my "played after a successfully played card" example would also be considered modifying the playability of a card right?

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +320/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »
Sure. Usually it doesn't matter, since cards are always always always permitted to modify themselves, and nothing will remove or reject that ability. (Restricted Use says that it kicks away modifications from other cards for just this reason.)
"You're no fun." -Creed

Offline bloop26

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 07:02:53 AM »
Since total package's ability says he can pack lex luger cards and replace dynamic with bash, can i use lex luger's backstage to make all my bash cards free slots? ie, it's time for a great american bash, dont bash the star, bash down the walls and managed by miss elizabeth (as they have bash in the text)

or does the font of words have to be exactly the bolded BASH text?

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +320/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »
4% Body Fat will make your cards with "BASH" in the text not take up slots for Total Package, since his Ability allows modifications from Backstage cards. That includes Managed by Miss Elizabeth and the Lex Express, since your ability changes "dynamic" to "BASH".
"You're no fun." -Creed

Offline bloop26

• +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »
4% Body Fat will make your cards with "BASH" in the text not take up slots for Total Package, since his Ability allows modifications from Backstage cards. That includes Managed by Miss Elizabeth and the Lex Express, since your ability changes "dynamic" to "BASH".

yup understood, however, for the likes of: It's Time for A Great American Bash? It has BASH in the text but not the bolded font, does that make it not take up a slot?

Offline Daeva

• Administrator
  • +320/-214
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »
It's Time For a Great American BASH, the 1D Pre-match, has the BASH logo in its text.
"You're no fun." -Creed