Author Topic: Batista Help  (Read 2736 times)

Offline thedragonreborn

• +15/-20
    • View Profile
Batista Help
« on: September 29, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »
Okay, this is my best deck, but nothing is perfect and after being destroyed by my friends Eugene, I decided to see what I could do to shore up the weak points.  Heres the deck

Face Card
Backstage Signature (Batista)

I Want to Play the Game (Feud)
Duchess of Queensbury Rules (Stipulation)
Washington, DC (Venue)
The Destroyer
WWE Undisputed Heavyweight Title Belt

Backlash x3
Just When You Thought You Had All The Answers...
Blindside Spinebuster

Paid, Laid, Made
That's Broken
Grab the Mic (TB) x2
Battling The Voices (TB)
Candice Internet Icon
If You Wann Play, You Gotta Pay

Batista Bomb

Chained Heat
Volley This x2
Never Forgive-Never Forget

Running Spinebuster (TB) x3
Shoot Suplex x2
Unleashed Bomb
Steel Chain Shot (TB) x3
Blatant Chokehold
Atomic Driver x3
Atomic Spine Buster
Precision Power Slam x2
Tornado Takedown of Doom
The Finisher

Strangle Hold (TB) x2
Sidewalk Slam (TB)
Leg Drag (TB)
Spine Buster (TB) x3
Power Slam (TB)
Batista's Spinebuster

Elbow to the Face x3
Escape Move x3
Lift a Boot (TB)
Step Aside x3
The Raw Deal Revolution
There Are Two Things You Can Do: Nothing and Like It
The Animal
Manager Interferes x3
Physically Dominant Force
No Chance in Hell
Nothing Ever Stays the Same
...I Change the Questions

The Pre-Match is mostly new.  When I first built the deck I had Blindside Spinebuster and that was it.  So any help there would be appreciated.  I added the Feud, Stipulation, and Venue and have not played them yet.  I wanted to add a Manager, but I don't have one I felt is worth the slot.  So any suggestion there would be appreciated.  Also considered Trash Talkin' Interview (TB) to work off Grab the Mic (TB).  Card drawing and recursion are two weak points.  The deck runs on pulling spinebusters, but each time cost a card.  I also find that cards like Paid, Laid, and Made and If You wanna Play, You Gotta Pay tend to sit in my hand and end up being spinebuster fodder more than actually being used. So any suggestion on how to either utilize those cards better, or suggestions for replacements would be appreciated.

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
Re: Batista Help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
Card drawing and recursion are two weak points.  ... I also find that cards like Paid, Laid, and Made and If You wanna Play, You Gotta Pay tend to sit in my hand and end up being spinebuster fodder more than actually being used.

These two statements are contradictory. Paid, Laid, and Made is pretty much the best card draw card that Batista can pack at 0F.

Filling out your Backlash deck should be your first step. You don't need to pack a Feud, Venue, Stipulation, and Manager just because those phases exist, your Pre-match should either be purposeful and focused toward your game plan, disrupt your opponent's game plan, or both. If You Wanna Play is junk, you should cut it for something more useful. I don't know what your cardpool looks like, could you maybe give us an idea of what you have to work with?
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline kingofkings_909

• +29/-46
  • Mr. RAW Deal Price Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »
Plus playing a card in every prematch can hurt you...ever heard of "Your Town"? Your opponent drops that and your in a world of hurt.
Check out my trade list HERE!:
http://www.teamcanadaonline.net/index.php/topic,7654.0.html

The proud owner of EVERY Superstar Specific card from EVERY set for EVERY Superstar!

102-0 in the buying/selling and trading section

Offline thedragonreborn

• +15/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »
I guess I've not been giving Paid, Laid, and Made a chance.  For some reason I think I'v just convinced my self it hurts too much to be worth it, and just go used to discarding it for a spinebuster.  As for a cards pool I have tons from multiple sets which I know is not that helpful either.  I'm working on paring down, but honestly if there is a card suggestion I'm sure I have it, or can get it.  Suffice to say I had a player that bought multiple booster boxes of EVERY set and was always just tossing the non superstar cards, so I ended up with tons.

I know I've seen Your Town, but I forget what it does (will have to look it up).  I think the Backlash deck is a result of laziness and I readily admit that.  Batista worked well for quite awhile (and still does) so I'm only now getting to the Backlash.  It's also a matter of local construction.  Most of my players don't bother with strong Backlash decks aside from Superstar support, but the one that does exploits the multiple phase with both a strong Eugene and Sgt Slaughter.  So I guess I was thinking of cards that could shut down problems I've personally dealt with while getting some help, and counter the cards he played during those phases as well.  Duchess gets rid of Hell in a Cell (and helps with recursion in a tight spot), I Want to Play it almost entirely for dealing with White Wedding, and Washington was better than my previous Venue since I run multiple TBs.  I was just considering a manager because the two decks that I have with Managers make great use of them.

Offline originaldeadman88

• +12/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:25:30 AM »
I had an AWESOME Batista deck that I won like 6 tournaments with. The prematch was:
Rochester
Trash talking tb
undisputed
Champ is here
Banned from ringside
Premiere smackdown
sit right here and bide my time
funaki #1 tb
Product endorsements tb
living legend

I didn't run many moves at all. 3x running sb tb, atomic sb, atomic lariat x3, german suplex tb x3, his specifics, precision haymaker x2 and I think 2x spinning toe hold. Thrn I loaded the reversals up with the basics and a ton of pain reversals. It was by far one if my favorite and best decks. Try out that strategy. It works quite well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:27:18 AM by originaldeadman88 »

Offline Philippine Milkfish

• +4/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 04:43:57 AM »
Try him Volley. With Dave's ability, you can throw those meaty strikes without worrying about Overshot or Power Slam TB. Meanwhile, you can force him to keep RFG-ing to reverse, or walking into your pain reversals. Spinebuster TB + Overshot works nice for this one.
"Gashongs men! Tgish!"

Offline Theren

• +15/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
If you have the chance to look through the virtual cards you might consider his backstage card, the +2d brings your spinebusters out of elbow range and the ability to hide it if you get shut down and they are rolling to just go get unleashed bomb is nice. I have also found that he can be really devestating as a bash deck.
Clear the Way into a Pop You One. Why? Cause I want my card.

Offline LordFa9

• TCO Donor
  • +229/-252
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
your deck looks a tad unfocused, maybe share what's your gameplan?

for now, adding A No Show would help quite a bit
WARNING: The above post is highly likely to be interpreted as a complaint or a show of ingratitude towards the RDPC. Read at own risk; viewer discretion is advised.

Offline thedragonreborn

• +15/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
Yeah I have considered playing Just Call Me Dave for that reason.

Basically how the deck works is to get spine busters (TB) into hand for defensive reasons.  Then to pull Running Spinebuster (TB) to build fortitude and for what recursion they offer.  Then it's just a matter of pound and respond with damaging reversals.  The most perfect game I ever ran with it was  running spinebuster (TB), Blatant chokehold, and Batista Bomb in that order on turn one.  I have to ability to deal damage on both ends without having to  worry about reprisals unless my opponent is running White Wedding or Frankie Takes.  I added Steel Chain Shot (TB) to help deal with Unique cards, and Sidewalk Slam (TB) or irreversible cards.  I meant to replace the Leg Drag (TB) when I had another Sidewalk Slam (TB).  The problem becomes late game when I run out of power moves or fail to build fortitude for the power moves I do have.  Its not fancy, but it almost always gets the job done, but I have been feeling lately like it's a big fish/small pond deck.  The fact that I lost to a Eugene is one turn didn't help matters and that is why I decided to post it.

Offline Mtg4life

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 05:16:55 PM »
Ive been having the samn problem in sorts. Ive had batista built as spinebuster/ with the shoot package added in its kinda clunky. Its 1-3 but worked amazing the time it won.