Author Topic: "EXTREMELY RARE"  (Read 7949 times)

Offline VelaCards

• TCO Donor
  • +159/-127
  • #WWERAWDEAL #Supershow
    • View Profile
    • VelaCards Official Web Site
"EXTREMELY RARE"
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:34:19 AM »
"Extremely Rare" ... That term has been used on any number of items when selling on eBay (or anywhere else). I'll admit, I've used it on more than one occasion to describe any number of things (other than RAW Deal cards). It often times gets met with comments like this (from another thread):

I laugh at the way some sellers lie about cards as being "extremely rare".

Although it is true that many sellers (again, guilty of doing this before, so I'm not exempting myself from this claim) do this to an alarming degree, the question is:

"What, in RAW Deal and with today's market the way it is, would you consider to be an 'Extremely Rare' card?"

Looking forward to people's answers.  ;)

VC
- For all your Supershow & RAW Deal needs!
- Team NBD
- Follow us on Twitter @VelaCards (Damn you D2!)

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
Re: "EXTREMELY RARE"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:38:35 AM »
In my opinion the following things get the Extremely Rare Classification:

• Cardboard Currency
  • Rock/Austin Preview Decks
  • SS2 ...damngood/Jerichoholics
  • HHH/Orton/True Blank Signature cards
  • 1 of Non-CI issued signature cards

I'm open to other things being extremely rare, but they really need to "extremely rare" which a lot of things that I see listed as such on ebay don't classify as such.

Then again, those of us with Master Collections have skewed views on what Extremely Rare is.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:43:07 AM by Antigoth »

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »
I think you nailed it Mr. 'Goth.  Though I'd add:

Springboard Dropkick TB
First to Tap Match TB
Patented Rock Footstomp TB

And a couple more of those obnoxiously hard-to-get SS3 Throwback cards.

CREED
V9: NXT Takeover - Full Release Available Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:55:59 AM »
I agree 100% with Brian's list.
I totally disagree with Creed's. SS3 FTTOM is printed the same as SS3 Superior Acrobatics or any other SS3 UR. I would call your list "extremely difficult to find" not "extremely rare".
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:00:41 AM »
Brilliant.  Then I'll trade you my SS3 Gail's Hurricanrana for your SS3 Footstomp TB.  ;)

Also, I have SS3 cards that no one wants, and the 3 I listed have been on want lists for months and months, so no... I totally disagree with your disagreement.  lol

EDIT:  After a moment's thought, I will agree that Footstomp isn't quite on par with an HHH Sig or Cardboard Currency or Wrestlemania Preview deck... but I'd still consider it 'Extremely Rare' as an accurate adjective description.

CREED
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:03:27 AM by CreedP »

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline VelaCards

• TCO Donor
  • +159/-127
  • #WWERAWDEAL #Supershow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
NOTE: Topic was created because of I was curious by the comment piperspitt brought up as quoted above. I think he brings up a very good point and wanted to get the opinion of others.

VC
- Team NBD

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:48 AM »
Creed, the cards you listed are no doubt high price and high demand, but the word "rare" is a different connotation.
"thinly distributed over an area; few and widely separated". SS3 URs have equal distribution making none of them more rare than the other. It's the demand that seperates them.

Offline Scotty

• Card Designer
  • +51/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
I was having a conversation like this with my dad yesterday. My mom bought a lot of "collectibles" like TY Beanie Babies and Barbie the year 2000 Special Edition. Now they are taking up space and worth next to nothing.

Things that were MASS produced should not fall into the Extremely Rare category. I bet all 5 of us that have responded in this thread have at least 1 FTTOM (TB) and 1 Foot Stomp. How many of us have the Triple H Sig? 1?

If someone wants a TB card, they can go to eBay or post here and likely get it (at a high price), but they can likely still get it. I don't consider that extremely rare.

Offline Prong1978

• The Stadium - Bay City, MI
  • TCO Donor
  • +163/-103
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
I avoid making claims like "extremely rare" in my auctions and try to let the facts speak for themselves.  Anybody looking for an "extremely rare" item is likely to already know that it is rare.  However, it doesn't bother me when someone labels something as rare as it's all subjective.  

Also, even if the cards that Creed listed aren't "rare" compared to SS3 foils, the availability of those cards on the open market is (comparatively speaking).

As an aside, what DOES bother me in Raw deal auctions are listings for "FULL" or "COMPLETE" superstar sets that are not full (missing TBs, Armageddon superstars missing AIUU etc...).
Original owner of the one and only Kurt Angle Backstage Signature card.

Offline JDub

• TCO Donor
  • +99/-128
  • You're Welcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
What about the tin cards That Damn Good, Jerichoholics, Austin Kick, Rock Footstomp? They were hard to get if I remember. Maybe not extremely rare but they were one of the few things that weren't mass produced like all the other holiday sets/cards from normal sets.

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »
Creed, the cards you listed are no doubt high price and high demand, but the word "rare" is a different connotation.
"thinly distributed over an area; few and widely separated". SS3 URs have equal distribution making none of them more rare than the other. It's the demand that seperates them.

You say to-MAY-to, I say to-MAH-to.  Actually, I say Ketchup.  ;)

My point... to which your agreement to it being ultimately irrelevant, since the question was about opinions.. is that while there are more copies in existence of the super Throwbacks from SS3, the demand for them is so great that finding one available AND winning the auction / being able to afford it / etc. makes them extremely rare.

It's not an argument, this isn't Sports, there's no need to try and prove anything by attacking other people's points of view.  I answered the question, What do you think about this?  And that's what I think.  What you think falls under 'your opinion'.  -shrugs-

But if the question is 'what are the rarest quantities of existence', then yes - as I said in my first post - Antigoth's list is hands-down unarguably the Top 5.

CREED

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »
What about the tin cards That Damn Good, Jerichoholics, Austin Kick, Rock Footstomp? They were hard to get if I remember. Maybe not extremely rare but they were one of the few things that weren't mass produced like all the other holiday sets/cards from normal sets.
If you mean the promo versions of them, as opposed to the cards in general (reprinted in later sets), they are... but not on the same quantities as the Top 5 Antigoth named.

CREED

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 11:34:21 AM »
Creed,
I'm sorry if I came across as attacking your point of view. My intent was to say "I disagree and this is why". I see quantity printed as being a fact and not as an opinion. I think Prong hit the nail on the head that the act of finding the cards for sale is extremely rare even if the cards themselves are not.

Offline rocky_iwata

• +11/-20
  • Danny Dichioooooooooooo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »
I still believe Drop Toe Hold with WWE logo instead of WWF is the most rare Raw Deal common card ever.  ;D
That guy with a long lastname.....

TFC! (CLAP CLAP CLAP!)

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
I think it was SS2 Drop Kick that was harder to get as well.

Offline thedragonreborn

• +15/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »
Extremely Rare may be overused as a term, but I do think with the raw deal market as it is now, a case can be made that "Hard to Find" and "Rare" are somewhat interchangeable.  Right now I'm trying to clean up a few sets.  So I need a dozen or so cards to finish up.  While it's true that I can pick up some of them no problem, as long as I have the money, others haven't been quite so easy.  To me TB SS3 and Rev 3 cards are rare.  It's not always about whether they were mass produced, it whether you can find them when you need them.  I check eBay everyday, I search the trade and sell list here, but there are still cards I just can't seem to get.  So to me that makes them rare. Extremely Rare?  No.  People are right when they mention that only certain cards like Triple H Sigs and the like, can be referred to as such.

On a side note, I just saw a Wrestlemania Preview Deck on Ebay and then saw it mentioned here.  What is it exactly?

Offline VelaCards

• TCO Donor
  • +159/-127
  • #WWERAWDEAL #Supershow
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »

• Cardboard Currency

Had 4 of the Cardboard Currency cards in stock at one point, now down to 1 for my Master set.

Also, gave away the Rock/Austin Preview Decks away years ago as prizes (When Adam Crites was still running the events here in So-Cal). Would love to have them back just to add to my RD Bible. (You know who you guys are that have them  ;))

On a side note, I just saw a Wrestlemania Preview Deck on Ebay and then saw it mentioned here.  What is it exactly?

These were basically very early demo decks to introduce players to the product. Each card in the deck had squared corners instead of rounded corners and often times used the same picture for various moves. One of the key characteristics of the decks is that each card had a "WrestleMania Exclusive" marking printed on the back.

I had originally picked up mine at the 2000 WWF All Axxess Fan Fest for WrestleMania 2000 at the Anaheim Convention Center.

VC
- Team NBD

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »
If I could figure out how to post a picture on here from my iPhone I would. Wrestlemania preview decks are premier demo decks featuring some different photos, a more red backing, and bricks behind the damage. I have some of the cards on my trade list.

Offline LordFa9

• TCO Donor
  • +229/-252
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »
having been on ebay for a few short months all I can say is that "extremely rare" is just another marketing word, along the lines of "incredible deal", to me
WARNING: The above post is highly likely to be interpreted as a complaint or a show of ingratitude towards the RDPC. Read at own risk; viewer discretion is advised.

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »

• Cardboard Currency

Had 4 of the Cardboard Currency cards in stock at one point, now down to 1 for my Master set.

I've owned 5 Black Lotus (Magic Card... google it if you're not sure what it is) at various times. Doesn't make them any less rare.

Offline VelaCards

• TCO Donor
  • +159/-127
  • #WWERAWDEAL #Supershow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »

• Cardboard Currency

I've owned 5 Black Lotus (Magic Card... google it if you're not sure what it is) at various times. Doesn't make them any less rare.

Oh, I wasn't saying they aren't rare, not at all. I totally agree with you. I think your list is spot on.  ;)

VC
- Team NBD

Offline BrysonYuzyk

• +7/-2
  • A better, happier you.
    • View Profile
    • RawDealPlanet
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 05:16:45 AM »
Only wrestling fans could cut serious promos about interpretation of phrase.

Extra heat to Piper if he throws a glass of Diet 7-up in Creed's face and then tells the fans how much he doesn't care what they think.

Bryson
We'll long be laughing after you are dead.

Offline pecis

• +4/-7
  • Big all over
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »
ive legit only seen rocks footstomp tb once so i consider it extremely rare. when you have seen more orton and hhh sigs more than that card you know its rare.  how about uncut sheets do you still see those floating around anymore? ive won a gab+ prize cards, ss2 ur, ss2 common,  and a wresltmania tin uncut sheet. saw a armagendon sheet on ebay but it was only buy now for 999$ seemed way to high.
FREE REDNUGS

Offline VelaCards

• TCO Donor
  • +159/-127
  • #WWERAWDEAL #Supershow
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »
ive legit only seen rocks footstomp tb once so i consider it extremely rare. when you have seen more orton and hhh sigs more than that card you know its rare.  how about uncut sheets do you still see those floating around anymore? ive won a gab+ prize cards, ss2 ur, ss2 common,  and a wresltmania tin uncut sheet. saw a armagendon sheet on ebay but it was only buy now for 999$ seemed way to high.

$999 sure sounds like a good deal when you compare it to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWE-WWF-Raw-Deal-Armageddon-Uncut-Sheet-ULTRA-RARE-PR-1-OF-A-KIND-AIUU-RKO-HHH-/290752311825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b2303211

(Both are EXTREMELY high priced, IMO)

VC
- Team NBD

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
I'm assuming the owner wants to keep it and his wife made him put it up for sale. Just put it high so it won't sell, ha ha.