Author Topic: GENCON 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP LIVE RESULTS  (Read 11492 times)

Offline Suicidal_Sephiroth

• +30/-30
  • The Following Sephy is Rated R
    • View Profile
Re: GENCON 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP LIVE RESULTS
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »
Just got done watching the world championship finals and really enjoyed it. Even though from a player standpoint it would've been nice to have had more focus on each individual card being played than random commentary but still enjoyable none the less. Always good to watch people have fun. What I think would be good for the community as a whole is to have players who are able to video record, record the finals of their local tournaments just to see how the meta-game is across the country. Unless the person is using tech for a qualifier then I'd understand keeping it hush hush. Grats to the world champ, was hoping to see home team in action but was said to read that you weren't using it haha.
If you're interested in watching some rpg's or action games feel free to follow my twitch channel at www.twitch.tv/sephiroth_strife

Offline heckbringer

• +6/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 05:42:03 AM »
It's always good to see the guy who knocked you out, win good job Drew.
"Daniel Bryan is a great lover" AJ Lee.

Offline ZSlash

• +8/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 05:53:39 AM »
Congrats to both Drew and Goth for making the finals, sorry I couldn't stick around long enough to see it in person. A big congrats to Drew on becoming our first ever repeat champion!
Gencon 2007 Revo Qualifier winner
http://www.comicimages.com/rawdeal/strategy/reports/07genrevo.htm

....does that really count?

Offline Jokerfish

• 2010 Raw Deal World Champion.
  • +65/-70
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
honestly i'm sorry if I got annoying. I was just trying to do color commentary. If the opportunity arises again I'll do more play by play. It was a blast though.
2010 ACMT winner
Your 2010 Raw Deal Champion
avid luchador mask wearer

Most of these are important papers...and some of them might be doodles I never had framed...I can't tell the difference in them.

Offline Wallemania4life

• +40/-44
  • Dubuque Raw Deal Interim General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »
First off I just wanna say, Congrats Drew on becoming a 2x 2x World Champion, Goth congrats getting to finals and I was rooting for you this match, (not that I didn't wanna see you do well either Drew). Jokerfish awesome meeting you and talking to you, you are my brother from another mother. D2 all I wanna say is Rehab brother ;). I'm glad everyone enjoyed our Edge and Christian tag team for the Tag Team tournament. Everyone else that we met/seen at Gencon it was awesome, sorry that we couldn't stick around for this live but you know how it is. Goth I'm glad you got your niki hugs this weekend. Hope it's not another 5 years before the Iowa Boys return to Gencon and see all you crazy guys again
We are The Raw Deal Collective Resistance if Futile.

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »
BTW, what happened to D2 that he wasn't at the finals?

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Commissioner D2

• Raw Deal Director of Cards
  • Global Moderator
  • +156/-151
  • Made @VelaCards happen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 10:32:06 AM »
BTW, what happened to D2 that he wasn't at the finals?

CREED

Real Live Interferes, take 20D
WWE Raw Deal Commissioner and Director of Cards
The Original Hardcore Mallet-Swinging Freak
#NateHatesMeToo
Official Outside Consultant of Team Niki Heber and Friends...and Mitch!
I made @VelaCards happen!!!!!

Offline Commissioner D2

• Global Moderator
  • +156/-151
  • Made @VelaCards happen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
First off I just wanna say, Congrats Drew on becoming a 2x 2x World Champion, Goth congrats getting to finals and I was rooting for you this match, (not that I didn't wanna see you do well either Drew). Jokerfish awesome meeting you and talking to you, you are my brother from another mother. D2 all I wanna say is Rehab brother ;). I'm glad everyone enjoyed our Edge and Christian tag team for the Tag Team tournament. Everyone else that we met/seen at Gencon it was awesome, sorry that we couldn't stick around for this live but you know how it is. Goth I'm glad you got your niki hugs this weekend. Hope it's not another 5 years before the Iowa Boys return to Gencon and see all you crazy guys again

You guys have to come back.

Why?

*holds up Iowa Championship*

Cause I've got this.
#NateHatesMeToo

Offline Wallemania4life

• +40/-44
  • Dubuque Raw Deal Interim General Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »
i will trade you one iowa title for one jeff hardy special  ;D
We are The Raw Deal Collective Resistance if Futile.

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

Offline TimJR

• Will Mod For Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • +118/-54
  • Basic Huganomics
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »
Wait, wait, wait. You guys lost the Iowa Title?  :laugh:

I'm now half expecting D2 to throw it into a trash can on Nitro or something...
Timothy J. Rush, Permanent Iowa City Raw Deal Champion
Member of Team Niki Heber and Friends

Queensryche

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 08:23:13 PM »

"Jeff Hardy Special"?

Is that some sort of metaphor for crystal meth or heroin?

Offline Niki Heber

• +20/-17
  • Dont mind me, just trollin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »

"Jeff Hardy Special"?

Is that some sort of metaphor for crystal meth or heroin?

we are from iowa.  we're good at meth production.
~Niki Heber
Leader of Team Niki Heber and Friends
and Mitch ... and Drunken Joe ... and Jon .... And 'Goth for good measure.  Yeah.  I don't care if you don't want to be on my team 'Goth, you are.

Mess with me and 'Goth with Ban you.

Offline frehocc

• 2005 Raw Deal World Champion
  • TCO Donor
  • +221/-179
  • I think I just had an evilgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 07:13:54 AM »
Watching now.

4 mins into the show. This video is 2 hours. It is longer than the length of a regular movie
Suckiest card... EVER... Frankie Takes Hollywood. Sucks so hard it is practically a black hole.
God of War gives it: 2 blades of chaos down

Offline Commissioner D2

• Global Moderator
  • +156/-151
  • Made @VelaCards happen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
Watching now.

4 mins into the show. This video is 2 hours. It is longer than the length of a regular movie

More entertaining than most too
#NateHatesMeToo

Offline BigPimpin

• +276/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 08:58:35 AM »
Raw Deal: More entertaining than Waterworld?
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:33 AM »
With Antigoth vs. Do0shebag in the finals?  Hell yeah!  #highestlevelplay

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline JaysonPhenix

• +32/-59
  • 2004! Neutral Ground Qualifier Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 09:09:47 AM »
Raw Deal: More entertaining than Waterworld?

Only thing worse is Kung Po  :'(

Offline Commissioner D2

• Global Moderator
  • +156/-151
  • Made @VelaCards happen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
With Antigoth vs. Do0shebag in the finals?  Hell yeah!  #highestlevelplay

CREED

#shenanigans
#NateHatesMeToo

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +319/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »
Don't forget #NateHatesMe
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline Commissioner D2

• Global Moderator
  • +156/-151
  • Made @VelaCards happen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2012, 12:11:58 PM »
#picscauseithappened

#askdo0she

#onsecondthoughtdontask
#NateHatesMeToo

Offline ziggy zenf

• +22/-21
  • I'm.....from Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2012, 12:22:58 PM »
#myretarddog

I'd forgotten how fierce Revolution can be.
WWJD
What Would Justin Do

Offline Buddha Dudley

• 2011 & 2012 World Champion / 2014 & 2015 ACMT Winner
  • Global Moderator
  • +227/-134
  • It's good to be the boss!
    • View Profile
    • VELACARDS.com for all your Raw Deal Purchasing Needs
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2012, 01:43:14 PM »
#picscauseithappened

#askdo0she

#onsecondthoughtdontask

Yeah don't ask... I should've known better.

World Championship Report

Round 1 Virtual All Axxess - Christy vs. CRASHER playing Kane

The Pre-Match goes as expected, everyone plays BASH, and I get a lot more fortitude than Kane after all is set and done, 10F for me to start, which is bad for Kane because it puts me way out of range of his Through the Fire and Flames plunge so that I can reverse Journey into Darkness with no problems on Turn 1.
This game made me sweat more than I should've because as Vick reminded me to do, I should remember Christy's recursion ability, which I neglected to do for the first 5 turns of the game. With the game near the end, and with I'll Taunt You then I'll BASH still in my ring area, I push through I believe a Shoot Action for the pin.

1-0

Round 2 Classic  - Andre vs. Antigoth playing Hurrifriends

I'm playing *YAWN* Andre Heat *YAWN*. The gist is Antigoth played his ass off, and never quit, while I was sitting there boringly using Andre ability. Eventually Antigoth finally starts pushing through really big maneuvers after all the Headstrongs were in ring and a countout was available to me, but it didn't cross my mind, I felt I owed Antigoth a pin which cost me as quickly he reverses my multi Triangle with something I can't remember and I think Eye of the Hurricane, puts back Atomic Driver and Atomic Spinebuster with his ability. He draws and plays the Spinebuster, and I lose in a helluva match for him, and a very boring match for me, because Andre is boring. Go Goth, beat down that Do0she that played Andre!

1-1

Round 3 Virtual Revolution  - <R> Ric Flair vs.  Jokerfish playing <R> Kane

In one of my losses in Do0she vs the World, Jokerfish drew what we in SoCal call a "God-Hand" in revolution, 2x <R> The Second Solutions. My opening hand draw in the World Championships what can only be called the "God-like GOD-hand" of <R> Space Mountain Punch, 2x <R> The Second Solutions and <R> Only One Solution. I try to sell Joker that my hand is horrible and he doesn't play <R> See Krystal Clear, and once we finish resolving Pre-Match I inform him that he let me keep a "God-hand" and he shakes his head.
I stop him 3 Straight Turns but by then I'm already throwing <R> Steel Chain Shots and since he's not packing <R> Slow This Match Down To A Crawl, he eats Steel Chains for the pin.

2-1

Round 4 All Axxess - Mr. Kennedy vs. "CalvinPatten" playing

Lucky me, I get paired up with the 3-0 Calvin. I have the utmost respect for Calvin, great player, awesome guy, and the first time I had the pleasure of playing him was last year, at my first Gen Con qualifier. He doesn't get much in the way of Pre-match, just <R> Tomorrow's Legends and The Destroyer while I get to rip through his Backlash with Michelle McCools. Of course, he discards Blindeside Spinebuster immediately and we both laugh. I take a long time and decide to play all 6 McCools, as opposed to It's Showtime or Backstage Shenanigans, so that he can't play Cow and then we draw. We laugh even harder when he realizes that the Kennedy I'm piloting is all Actions, into WWE Divas - The Next Generation. He goes first due to The Destroyer giving him the leg up in SSV and my opening hand has an Elbow, an Over Sell Maneuver, and little else in terms of reversals. He stops my first Action with I believe Volley This, and I have to Over Sell his Spine Buster (TB) as a maneuver, which puts him right in to Blindside Spinebuster range. I have to walk in to it on my next turn, and then he plays Atomic Spinebuster, discarding his Backlash deck (more laughing by the both of us) which I'm also able to hit on the overturn. At this point I'm near death with 4 cards, but he's out of Action reversals. I retrieve back and play all 7 This is Just the Beginnings, and after 2 Candace: Internet Icons and a That's Balanced, I play 5 more divas, ending with Melina last of course in to the Next Generation.

3-1

Round 5 Virtual Classic - Bobby Heenan vs. thebear308 (Bret Hart)

The Brain did exactly what he's supposed to do in this match. Lots of ringside manipulations with Dynamic Finisher to keep recurring Steel Chains, lots of recursion with The Luck of the Draw combined with the free cards of Matt Striker, and lots of fortitude once I was sure Scott couldn't reverse from his hand. Soon he has nothing but big F cards in his hand but no F to play them and finally the Dynamic maneuver parade starts eating up his arsenal into I want to say Dirty Taker for the pin.

4-1

After we cut, which discover we have to wait for a 1 game playoff, which at least was quick because it was Rev, the smoke clears and the winner of the playoff is the the newcomer to GenCon, "heckbringer" Daniel Brian. Now for those who don't know him, let this be his official introduction in to Raw Deal's upper tier, because his decks were S-I-C-K! You want an example, sure here's a sample of his tech.

He's playing Stevie Richard's and let's look at B-W-O (for those unitiated or don't want to bother searching, it's a Faction that can be played during any Pre-Match phase and it says his other Events can't be Blanked). Now go read Enough Shenanigans (make sure you read the newest version, the one that says that certain cards are BLANKED). No go read It's All About the Game… YEAH!

He chooses to not want to play Classic, I choose to not want to play Virtual All Axxess, and we're told that our order via text is All Axxess, Virtual Revolution, then Virtual Classic.

2012 Raw Deal World Championships Semi-Finals All Axxess - Kennedy vs. heckbringer (John Cena)

The first and only time I've played Kennedy and didn't feel dirty. He reveals only the +1 Backstage and I reveal just 5th, which worked out because I was behind, but could've been worse because I might not gotten to play Premiere Smackdown.

He plays Yo Kill Da Beat as his only card, I get Premiere Smackdown Superstar as my only Pre-Match cards and we're off.

He Pokes to start the game, I Over Sell Maneuver. On my first turn, I draw out his Cow with my 3rd This is Just the Beginning. I forget how I end his second turn, but I want to say I used the Raw Deal Revolution on Ready to Fight. He's out of Actions reversals, so I play out all 7 This is Just the Beginning, <R> Double Your Value and drop 6 Divas into Divas the Next Generation.

1-0

2012 Raw Deal World Championships Semi-Finals Virtual Revolution - Kennedy vs. heckbringer (CM Punk)

This is one of the best enjoyable matches I played over the weekend. I walked into this match, incorrectly thinking that Punk was a bad superstar, I severely underestimated how much of a deck building mad genius he is. His pre-match is to the best of my recollection, 2x RP: Arm, Man of 1k Moves, 2x Dressed for Success. Amazingly enough, I didn't see coming that he was all Hold: Core with Arm Targers until I was near death, and my Flair has never been that close to death ever, in fact it had actually never even been challenged before except by the makers of said Flair deck, Mikey and Tony. It also turns out somewhere in the middle of this match, that I couldn't believe that I was getting destroyed by Punk, and he replies that "Well this deck has never lost." I laugh and retort, "Yeah this deck too!" He keeps playing REALLY big Target Arm Hold: Cores for big damage due to the 2x RP: Arm and there's only so many reversals to Cores one can pack.

Finally with around 4 cards in my deck left and around 30 in his, I finally push through <R> Nature Boy Chop. It allows to finally recur some of my Core reversals that I've overturned and I put under my arsenal <R> Second Solution, <R> Dragon Sleeper, <R> Second Solution & <R> Dragon Sleeper in that order. He plays cores, but I overturn <R> Second Solution and draw right in to <R> Dragon Sleeper, playing it, and recurring more Core reversals. He plays another Core, I overturn <R> Second Solution, then play another <R> Dragon Sleeper. I then start to draw Core reversals and push through Colossals for the pin in what I can only say was as a good a game of Revolution that I've ever been in, which is sad because no one else watched it. AND what was funny was that Daniel mentioned that he thought Rev was all about luck and starting hands.

2-0

So here's where it gets weird, we have no time to finish so we reconvene a short while later at the hotel. He cancels Classic (my Andre vs. his Hurrifriends) which I know he was going to do and I cancel All Axxess (my Kennedy vs. his Eugene) to play all Virtual when I was supposed to choose Virtual Classic as my cancelled game (to see why, there's a link to the youtube video earlier in this thread).

2012 Raw Deal World Championships Finals Virtual Classic - Bobby Heenan vs. Antigoth (Hurrifriends)

He draws 18 cards, and I'm a bad player and don't pack Road to Victory, yeah I'm bad. The gist is, this match SHOULDN'T have been that close and I was expecting to get rolled because not only should I have packed Road, I should have discarded 4 cards or probably passed 1st turn, and his Hell in a Cell ruined all my Steel Chain Shots. Nonetheless I get really close, 4 cards in his arsenal close, but it wasn't enough and Goth pins me with less than 5 cards left in my arsenal in a good game.

0-1

2012 Raw Deal World Championships Finals Virtual All Axxess - Christy vs. Antigoth (Eugene)

Gist of this game: My opening hand before Pre-Match resolves has both That's Broken and the lone Backslide in the deck. BASH Taunt for Shoot Action. Shoot Action goes through successfully, into …And the Crows Roars into Mod Clutch then I pass and even forgetting that I get 2 turns because I was so excited to be up 20F. Sadly Antigoth misunderstood me and thought my fortitude was doubled just for my first turn as opposed to ALWAYS. I feel it's partly my fault for bad phrasing, and I still feel bad about it, but he knows I wasn't trying to game him or anything. I play Backslide to his Angle Uppercut for the win.

2012 Raw Deal World Championships Finals Virtual Revolution - <R> Stone Cold vs. Antigoth (<R> Ric Flair)

Sadly I didn't know that he was running You're Drafted-New Breed or Arrive-Raise-Leave into Colossal first turn before the tournament or I'd have told him that it was VERY much nerved and that he should change his entire build or just borrow another deck entirely. He didn't know, and it was a landslide.

First, I wanted to apologize for anyone watching the Finals. I need a swear jar, I know. I'm going to curb it someday, hopefully soon.

Secondly, I know people were giving Jokerfish a little crap with his commentating, but when he wasn't doing that, he was actually asking questions, like why are you discarding that Dynamic Torture Rack to search. If he hadn't asked, I wouldn't have let on that I wanted stun value to draw because my hand was virtually nil. So I actually liked that he was asking about my thought process because people were able to see what I was thinking at the time of my play. So kudos either ways Jokerfish, for making it a more interactive Final.

My team was amazing in helping me out for Worlds. Justin of course, I've debased myself thanking him already but also the rest of our SoCal group in Albert, Vick, Tony, Mikey, and Ed whom I forgot to thank on the day were all instrumental in helping me test, tweak and get ready for Worlds in all formats.
Antigoth, I'm sorry about our misunderstanding in Game 2, but your were a gentleman about it and it was great having dinner with you and yours and introducing you to the magic that is Ruth's Chris.
Calvin, thank you for some great times as well as sticking it out with us until the very end of the Finals. You were amazing and thank you for helping in every facet.
D2, Real Life Interferes, take 20D. But thanks for the texts and I'm glad I was able to help you and help mitigate the damage from Real Life Interferes.
D-Bry, to you the UTMOST respect for showing off your Stevie deck for the first time BEFORE Worlds and not during. I'm scared on what you're bringing already next year.
TheSoftcoreLegend, I do indeed owe you a rematch. I hope to see you again along with your Iowa shenanigans partner Wallemania less than 5 years from now.
Thebear308, you a pleasure to play against and secretly I'm happy you didn't call the top card for Dirty Taker.
Theron, bad matchup vs. D-X, but like last year, it was good to meet up with you again.
CRASHER, i just got lucky I didn't run in to your Road Warriors.  ;D

And to Creed, Daeva, the rest of the development team, and to everyone on TCO, thanks for continuing to keep this wonderful game alive.

-D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:05:42 PM by Buddha Dudley »
VP of the Raw Deal Players Committee

Buddha's tl;dr for every post "I go to PWG all the time...bay-bay!"

Drew is pretty well the king

Offline ziggy zenf

• +22/-21
  • I'm.....from Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
I watched the video and it got me itching to play Raw Deal again.

During the Hurrifriends/Bobby Heenan Match, would Super Masks and Super Capes have blanked the Enforcer card, or are Enforcer cards immune to that?
WWJD
What Would Justin Do

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
During the Hurrifriends/Bobby Heenan Match, would Super Masks and Super Capes have blanked the Enforcer card, or are Enforcer cards immune to that?

SuperMasks blanks cards that have the text. The enforcer is a backstage area superstar ability. I looked at that and wished a little.

Good question though because I was thinking that too.

Offline TheGreatWhiteDope

• +30/-24
  • Raw Deal Bullet Club
    • View Profile
    • World Wrestling Insanity
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
With all the talk coming off of this and the new set maybe we're looking at 20-ish next year for the Championships and qualifiers?
AotF
"If man should decide to dabble in my affairs, then guardians must intervene. But, should I come fourth to change the face of man with you there to challenge me then I shall return with the stars to destroy all I have made. Whether man or I present the danger will not be told in the coming"