Author Topic: The Pussification of society  (Read 2558 times)

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
  • You don't throw rocks at a man with a machine gun!
    • View Profile
The Pussification of society
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:05:18 PM »
What are we doing? Hank Williams Jr gets pulled off of Monday Night Football because he made a true analogy? Johnny Depp apologizes because of word he used while expressing his feelings? PSAs telling people what not to say or text? All the while the media and government are hypocritical by chastising sometimes and being ignorant other times?

Hank: I'm paraphrasing here, but he commented that Obama and Boehner playing golf together is like Hitler golfing with Netanyahu. So what? The point is that in both cases the people don't get along so why play golf together. He's right, it doesn't make a lot of sense, yet the media wants to read into it and have headlines like "Hank Williams Jr. Compares Obama to Hitler." That is a borderline lie. Then an unaffected company pulls his song as a result. Why? Result for me is losing my ability to watch much ESPN anymore. I'll probably only watch select games which is too bad because it has been a rare occasion that I have ever missed Monday Night Football.

Depp: He commented that doing photo shoots made him feel like he was being raped. Womens groups freaked that he was belittling women who were raped. Really? Just like when someone says that the Ravens killed the Jets last week is belittling everybody who has been murdered. We should let the groups know that when someone gets "raped" at the car dealership that it doesn't mean sexually assaulted only. Less Cowbell to Depp for apologizing.

Personal: I have to pay an employee I fired for working off the clock. Of course I paid her for the time, even though she was specifically told to go home on time, but now I have to pay her unemployment because "she didn't know it was illegal or she wouldn't have done it."
Never mind that I have a signed sheet that she acknowledged that she must properly record her time.  Nevermind that 24 hours before that she was verbally warned with witnesses that she can only work her scheduled time, but tell me why as a businessman it is MY responsibility to make her follow the law. If I am speeding in an unmarked area, will not knowing the speed limit help me win in court? Will not knowing that paying taxes is law allow me to keep all of my paycheck?  The government is basically saying in this case that the employee is not responsible for her own actions and that I am responsible for her actions. Result: I am appealing the decision based on principle and evidence.
"I was Rowdy before rowdy was cool!"

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +479/-368
    • View Profile
Re: The Pussification of society
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
More cowbell, sir, and I agree.  We as humans have no natural predators, this country is under no outside threat, so people waste their time on an overinflated sense of propriety.

Personally, I'm waiting for a zombie apocalypse, flesh-eating virus, or alien invasion to thin the herd and give people a lesson in priorities.  I've already seen what happens without it - the movie is called Idiocracy.   :D

CREED
Virtual 8: Over the Limit (A) Sept. 1st (B) Oct 31st - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullar

Online Buddha Dudley

• 2011 & 2012 World Champion / 2014 & 2015 ACMT Winner
  • Global Moderator
  • +224/-134
  • It's good to be the boss!
    • View Profile
    • VELACARDS.com for all your Raw Deal Purchasing Needs
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »
Well Jeremy, not many people are able to see through the lies of the media. Having said that, the media is able through specific omissions and out of context comments, make Hank Williams Jr. look like he's associating Obama and Hitler. Its a sad state, but this is the state we live in, image is everything and celebrities get paid a metric ton. All they have to do is not do interviews, don't make sex tapes, and sit and home and get paid. I have a stack of unwrapped PS3 games I could be working on if I was a celebrity in between jobs, just stay out of the limelight when you don't have to and stay neutral on every subject.

In the end, I agree if people are stupid enough to take offense to anything, soon everyone will take offense to everything. But sadly I don't blame ESPN for pulling Hank simply because he said something that of course was going to be taken out of context. ESPN can't be seen as being associated with Hitler in any way, even if its tangential.

Jeremy, not to Devil's advocate you since you make some great points especially when it comes to law and its interpretations (I work in a freakin' law school for crying out loud) but are you saying if you were in charge at ESPN of Public Relations, you wouldn't pull Hank if millions of dollars of advertisers threatened to pull their money?
VP of the Raw Deal Players Committee

Buddha's tl;dr for every post "I go to PWG all the time...bay-bay!"

Drew is pretty well the king

Offline BigJohnStudd

• +67/-65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
Case in point; A friend removed me from her facebook because I made a comment from South Park. From the episode where the owner of the Chinese restaurant says "G#dda$n Mongolians you wreck my chitty wall" She said it was racist. Now while that is true to an extent she isn't even Mongolian or even Asian for that matter, how can she really be offended?

It seems like you have to tiptoe around everything nowadays so you wont offend anyone. If someone wants to others to be tolerant they need to be tolerant themselves. As the late George Carlin said "Its not the word that you should be worried about, its the racist bastard using it" The double standard of some using the words and others cannot should stop as well.

People need to grow a backbone and work towards the collective good.  

Oh and Pitt, your employee did break a rule to get directly fired. I dont know how your states unemployment laws work but I would appeal the unemployment too. Ignorance of the law is not protection from the law.
Final World rank 25th
Final 2007 rank (last year of CI keeping tabs... 2nd in the world)

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
Drew-I'm not sure if advertisers threatened to pull ads, but if I worked for espn I would have to follow the board of directors and executives lead. If it was truly my decision, I would NOT pull Hank Williams Jr. for that reason.

BJS- while it's true that society tells us to tip toe, it's us who chooses whether or not to follow. I truly believe that the majority of people hate PC, hate people apologizing for doing nothing wrong, and hate the media. Society just needs a catalyst to step up and refuse to play by those rules. A lot of people will support this when it eventually happens. People need to learn that there is a difference between racism and stereotypes, and that stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. It's okay to fall into a stereotype, but you don't have to.

Offline Homeless

• +69/-71
  • ROCK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
so, people being offended or upset about what some dude said is an over reaction, but no longer watching a channel because they won't play that dude's song before a game is fine and not an over reaction at all?

if you don't think people should be offended by what someone else says, then why does it seem like you're offended by other people being offended?
what do you call a postman who just lost his job?
...i don't know...just some dude...

my honor, that's all i need. just my honor. and this colossus...

all those memories will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
Their actions are saying that he did something wrong, which he didn't. I'm not stopping my viewing because they won't play his song, I'm stopping because I'm sick of seeing and reading the crap like that. Would you continue to watch something that you no longer liked?

Offline Homeless

• +69/-71
  • ROCK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »
their actions are saying 'hey, a bunch of people are pissed at this dude. if we continue to associate with him, that anger may spread to us and we don't want to lose money over it.'  espn doesn't give a damn about him or whether what he did was right or wrong, they just care about money. maybe it was because advertisers threatened to back out, or maybe they were proactive and pulled it before advertisers threatened.

my point was that you're being just as over-sensitive as the people who got mad at him. if it's no big deal that some idiot celebrity made an analogy, then why are you making such a big deal about a company making the decision they felt was best?

i would stop watching something if i no longer liked it, but for me to stop liking something they'd have to do more than just one little thing that i don't like.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:31:58 PM by Homeless »

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »
You are right, but it's not just one thing, it's the way they won't let Brett Favre go away, the way they are sensationalizing Terry Francona leaving the Red Sox, the Dodger divorce. If half the time I watch I get irritated, it sucks the fun out out of it.
  As for the "offended that other people are offended". It's a vicious cycle. How do you stop the insanity if you don't stand up to it? You can ignore it and hope it goes away, buy sometimes ignorance is acceptance.  The same argument can be used against my argument. Eventually this over sensitivity will go away, the sooner the better.

Offline Homeless

• +69/-71
  • ROCK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
i don't follow sports so i only recognize the name 'favre'. but yeah, all that sounds like legit reasons to stop watching. i would've already stopped before the hank thing happened. something like the pulling of an intro shouldn't have been 'the last straw'.

with how the media does stuff specifically to get a rise out of people, you can't stop it. you can just deal with it. not by ignorance, but by acceptance. say 'well, that was stupid.' and move on. no need to overdramatize it with labels like 'pussification of society'. acknowledge it, then let it go.

Offline piperspitt

• TCO Donor
  • +373/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
I'm not going to accept it anymore when I don't have to. If I'm at work or coaching I will let stuff go, but the rest of the time I'm going to speak my mind. I will be that cantankerous old guy. People need to stop being pussys, at least around me.

Online CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +479/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
I miss John Wayne.

CREED
Virtual 8: Over the Limit (A) Sept. 1st (B) Oct 31st - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullar

Online Buddha Dudley

• 2011 & 2012 World Champion / 2014 & 2015 ACMT Winner
  • Global Moderator
  • +224/-134
  • It's good to be the boss!
    • View Profile
    • VELACARDS.com for all your Raw Deal Purchasing Needs
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 08:36:25 PM »
"Let me tell ya something. Nowadays, everybody's gotta go to shrinks, and counselors, and go on "Sally Jessy Raphael" and talk about their problems. What happened to Gary Cooper? The strong, silent type. That was an American. He wasn't in touch with his feelings. He just did what he had to do. See, what they didn't know was once they got Gary Cooper in touch with his feelings that they wouldn't be able to shut him up!"  -TS
VP of the Raw Deal Players Committee

Buddha's tl;dr for every post "I go to PWG all the time...bay-bay!"

Drew is pretty well the king