Author Topic: Really... how bad could it be?  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
Really... how bad could it be?
« on: September 09, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »
So... A year ago Origins, (June 2010) I managed to 0-3 before dropping in a PTQ.
At the time I was playing a Jund Deck that was identical to what the guy who won the event was playing. (Down to our respective use of Sarkhan).

Each of my 3 rounds I was mana-screwed and had to mulligan in my losses, and it was just a series of "ugh" because along with a bunch of other signs, I took it as time for me to be done playing active CCG's, and "retire".

Since then, a buddy has bugged me to come out and play in a couple of tournaments for him to bolster his numbers.

The first one, I played Kuldotha Red, and while it would have been swell to play a month earlier, by the time I played it, everyone and their sideboard was ready for K-Red. I had another fantastic outing, going 0-4.

The next tournament, seeing the fail that I had with the previous two outings, I decided to play a variant of my "Stupid Deck of Doom" http://www.teamcanadaonline.net/index.php/topic,10001.0.html

It managed to fail at winning a game, as I went 0-4 again. This time I at least had fun.

So a couple of months back, two of my friends decided to get "back into magic", and since I was fairly familiar with the game still, they tapped me to help get them "back up to speed". I'm apparently not that bad of a mentor, because one of them has won the last two FNM he's entered, and made the finals of the other.

So along the way, they've "dragged me back in" where I'm now actively acquiring cards, and building decks.

So... tonight I venture back to the tournament scene once more. Being too lazy, and too constrained cards wise, and not having the time to come up with something original, I'm net decking Mike Flores's Green-Blue Infect:

10  Forest
4  Inkmoth Nexus
5  Island
4  Misty Rainforest
23 lands

4  Blighted Agent
4  Glistener Elf
4  Ichorclaw Myr
12 creatures

3  Apostle's Blessing
4  Distortion Strike
3  Gitaxian Probe
4  Groundswell
3  Livewire Lash
4  Mutagenic Growth
4  Vines of Vastwood
25 other spells

Sideboard
3  Nature's Claim
4  Spell Pierce
4  Spellskite
4  Viridian Corrupter
15 sideboard cards

I've played the deck a bunch, it seems to deal well with needing mulligan two or three times (yeah, I've got no idea what I'm doing wrong, I quite frequently with everything that I play have the problem of needing to mulligan at least once), and is redonkulously fast, where yeah... a spellskite ruins my day, but that's what the sideboard is for.

So... wish me luck... hopefully I'll win a match for the first time in over a year at a tournament.

Offline rocky_iwata

• +11/-20
  • Danny Dichioooooooooooo
    • View Profile
Re: Really... how bad could it be?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »
I played this kind of deck before. It can win you a game really fast, but is inconsistent as hell. Some decks even add 1-4 Exploration Maps just to cope with its consistency. So, good luck to you, Goth!!  8)
That guy with a long lastname.....

TFC! (CLAP CLAP CLAP!)

Offline frehocc

• 2005 Raw Deal World Champion
  • TCO Donor
  • +221/-179
  • I think I just had an evilgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:17:09 PM »
I heard about your luck last time I was there.

I read the basics of fengshui before. You may want to do something around your house to bring in luck. LMK if you are interested
Suckiest card... EVER... Frankie Takes Hollywood. Sucks so hard it is practically a black hole.
God of War gives it: 2 blades of chaos down

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:11:50 PM »

I read the basics of fengshui before. You may want to do something around your house to bring in luck. LMK if you are interested

Absolutely! That would be fantastic. So... you hitting my place before or after Gencon Next year?

I played this kind of deck before. It can win you a game really fast, but is inconsistent as hell. Some decks even add 1-4 Exploration Maps just to cope with its consistency. So, good luck to you, Goth!!  8)

Ugh... Exploration map... no. The fact that it costs 1 to play, and then 2 to use, that basically nullifies 2 turns, allowing the opponent time to get ready. The deck needs to start hitting turn 2 if at all possible if not turn 3. When I mentioned that the deck mulligans well, dealing well with mulliganing 2-3 times, it's because I'm mulliganing for combo pieces as opposed to land drops. Try the build that I've posted, it's kinda ridiculous.

Thanks for the wishes of good luck. While, late, they seemed to help.

Tournament went as follows:

Round 1: Paired against Mono-Black, cheap discard for early control to late smash. (Apparently designed to deal with CAW-Blade)
Game 1, Drop an Inkmoth Turn 1. Turn 2 Swing for 1. Turn 3, Swing with Ground Swell, turn 4, Swing with kicked Vines of Vastwood.
Game 2 - Opponent boards out Go for the Throat to replace it with Doom Blade, thinking the deck was creatureless save for the inkmoths. (I have no idea why he'd think that, just because I played no creatures, and killed him pronto?)
I drop Ironclaw Myr turn 2. By turn 5 he's got 8 poison counters, and the Iron Claw Myr  is being equipped with a second livewire lash as my opponent conceeds. (With a doom blade that he drew the previous turn, but realized if he used it to kill the Myr, he still dies from the Lash.

1-0

Round 2 - Mono Red Valakut Goblins.
It's fast, I mulligan twice, and just don't have enough to keep up with the goblins game 1. I have him on 8 counters when he kills me.
Game 2 - I board in 4 spellskites, removing the gitaxian probes and a forest.
Spellskite comes down, blocks his dudes, protects my dudes from his blast. Protects me from his blast. And kill him quickly.
Game 3 - I come out of the gate swinging hard. End the game by equipping the livewire lash, and blasting him.
Games 2 and 3 featured an intersting mix of using the vines of Vastwood at G as opposed to GG just to protect stuff from the blast.

2-0

Round 3
Mono-Black Zombie Infestation / Phryexian Obliterator / Late game that never materialized.

Game 1 - Turn 4, he drops the Obliterator, I fly over him with the Inkmoth Nexus, and hit him 6 poison. My opponent looks at me and says "I've never seen an Obliterator hit the table and be completely irrelevant before."

Game 2 - I look at my opening hand of IcMyr+Landx3+3x Gitaxian Probe, and say to myself "This is just random enough to keep"
He hits me with first turn Duress, drops a Gitaxian Probe, and proceeds to Surgical extract them to look at my deck, and see what's ahead of him. I proceed to hit relevant cards every turn, and kill him with a distortion strike after the Myr was equipped with a lash.

3-0

I was declared the winner, got my foily teetering peaks, and 3 boosters for first place. For a $3 Entry Fee, I won't complain because I got the monkey off my back. (18 player tournament)

None of my rounds took more than 15 minutes total, so I got a bunch of time to play and test the Kolourless Karn Kontrol deck I've wanted to play for a while. (Which also had some great results, but that deck has many more decisions to make, so I'm glad I didn't play it since I hadn't had a chance to work though it yet.) Granted... the amusing moment was the best of 3 the KKK played against a Exarch-Twin deck. Rolled with a Turn 4 Twin Combo, Board in 4 Torpor Orbs. In the next 2 games, mulligan until I was able to hit a turn 2 Torpor Orb, Crippled the deck, and got to play my game.

Then today with Magic Celebration, and walking away with a Gideon, Grave Titan, and two Simulacrums... I'm going to call it a good weekend.

And now... all that needs to happen is the Bombers rolling the Roughriders in the Banjo  Bowl. (3pm CST - TSN)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:32:28 PM by Antigoth »

Offline frehocc

• 2005 Raw Deal World Champion
  • TCO Donor
  • +221/-179
  • I think I just had an evilgasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 06:08:15 AM »
Congrats on breaking the streak.

Its my dream for a route 66 roadtrip. Still getting people, but initial plans are these:

Your place: Gencon: Route 66 to LAX- fly home

Alternatively, a long shot: Gencon: your place: Get my Masters degree: fly home

Can I have your birthdate?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:11:19 AM by frehocc »
Suckiest card... EVER... Frankie Takes Hollywood. Sucks so hard it is practically a black hole.
God of War gives it: 2 blades of chaos down

Offline rocky_iwata

• +11/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »

Absolutely! That would be fantastic. So... you hitting my place before or after Gencon Next year?

I played this kind of deck before. It can win you a game really fast, but is inconsistent as hell. Some decks even add 1-4 Exploration Maps just to cope with its consistency. So, good luck to you, Goth!!  8)

Ugh... Exploration map... no. The fact that it costs 1 to play, and then 2 to use, that basically nullifies 2 turns, allowing the opponent time to get ready. The deck needs to start hitting turn 2 if at all possible if not turn 3. When I mentioned that the deck mulligans well, dealing well with mulliganing 2-3 times, it's because I'm mulliganing for combo pieces as opposed to land drops. Try the build that I've posted, it's kinda ridiculous.

Thanks for the wishes of good luck. While, late, they seemed to help.
The problem of the deck is that you rely on 1-2 infect creatures that very small and rarely survive against fast decks with tons of spot removals. The Maps make sure there will be a spare Inkmoth Nexus when you really need it.

In my case, I used almost the same deck as yours but I faced RDW and Vampire decks all day and got a bad result. I did have a bunch of Spellskite in there but none showed up during those games.

But yeah, when you win, you win fast and a lot. So, congratulation!!  :laugh:

TFC! (CLAP CLAP CLAP!)

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »
In my case, I used almost the same deck as yours but I faced RDW and Vampire decks all day and got a bad result. I did have a bunch of Spellskite in there but none showed up during those games.

When you say "Almost the same" I'd be interested to see the deck list differences.
I've matched up against Vamps, and black with heavy spot removal, and done fairly well. I'm wondering if it's playing the deck differently, caliber of opponents, or just randomness of the draws.

Also - did you use the Lash? I was having a similar conversation with one of my friends, who didn't use the lash, and was having similar problems to what you are describing.

Offline rocky_iwata

• +11/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »

When you say "Almost the same" I'd be interested to see the deck list differences.
I've matched up against Vamps, and black with heavy spot removal, and done fairly well. I'm wondering if it's playing the deck differently, caliber of opponents, or just randomness of the draws.

Also - did you use the Lash? I was having a similar conversation with one of my friends, who didn't use the lash, and was having similar problems to what you are describing.
The main deck is the same except one Spellskite instead of one Vine of Wastwood. The sideboard is almost the same either.

Basically, it was a streak of bad draws in many games in the tournament that I lost. Though, I have another version of UG Infect, with inclusion of Viral Drake, that I used in New Phyrexia Game Day and had a very good result.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:47:05 PM by rocky_iwata »

TFC! (CLAP CLAP CLAP!)

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
The main deck is the same except one Spellskite instead of one Vine of Wastwood. The sideboard is almost the same either.

Interesting!

For me I never touch the Vines of Vastwood, especially in a "blast/removal" situation. I'd rather remove Groundswell. Usually the first things that go for me in a board situation are the G-Probes. I'm also wondering for the bad draws - was it a case where your opening hand looked awesome, and then you stalled on the draws, or was it a case where the opening hand was "passable", and you thought about mulliganing, but chose not. I ask, only because I've been finding with the deck that I quite often have to aggressively mulligan to get a fitting hand.

Offline Antigoth

• TCO's Weapon X
  • Administrator
  • +243/-164
  • Order Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Team Canada Online
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »
So for what it's worth, I've kept the deck alive since Rotation.

It now looks like this:

10  Forest
4  Inkmoth Nexus
5  Island
4  Hinterland Harbour
23 lands

4  Blighted Agent
4  Glistener Elf
4  Ichorclaw Myr
12 creatures

3  Apostle's Blessing
4  Spectral Flight
3  Gitaxian Probe
4  Rangers Guile
3  Livewire Lash
4  Mutagenic Growth
4  Titanic Growth
25 other spells

Sideboard
3  Silent Departure (I think Unsommon is actually better)
4  Flash Freeze (Because of the prevalence of Wolfrun & RDW - I've never boarded it in)
4  Spellskite
4  Viridian Corrupter
15 sideboard cards

Two weeks ago, I went to FNM And it went like this:
Rnd 1 - Face R/U Zurg Rush
Win 2-0
Rnd 2 - Faced a weird green home brew, losing the first game, coming back 2-0
Rnd 3 - Face Solar Flare that Top 4'd the provincials the weekend Prior.
There was epic shenangins where for the win on game three, I swing with the Glistener Elf, he flashes in a Snap, targeting Mana Leak. I respond with Apostle's Blessing to get Pro Blue (before snap resolves), He responds with Doom Blade, I respond with Rangers Guile for Hexproof, he scoops.
Win 2-1

Tonight
Rnd 1 - Tempered Steel - He has no idea about the pumps that I have. Doesn't block Elves that he should, and dies as a result. (That being said, I had a pile of options in my hand that I never needed to use) - Win 2-0
Rnd 2 - Face R/B Vamps, Roll it 2-0 before he can even figure out what's happened.
Rnd 3 - Solar Flare - My deck comes up, his doesn't, and he can't deal with my speed.
Win 2-0
Rnd 4 - RDW - He wins game 1. I get stuck with all 3 of my livewire lashes in hand.
If one of those was a Guile or a blessing, I win.
Game 2 - Turn 3 Blighted agent swings for 1, I drop lash. Turn 4, Blighted Agent equips lash, swings, drops Titanic Growth, hits for 9 and the win.
Game 3 - I have him on 7 poison, he swings with the team. I had managed to draw all 4 of my Inkys, and one forest. I have the Silent Departures in hand to bounce his Manic Vandal that killed my lash. I also had a Titanic Growth to throw onto my Inky for the win next turn. He overwhelms me, and ends my undefeated streak. I shake his hand and congratulate him.

Overall result - 3rd.

So the deck was good to get me off my skid, and get me 2 firsts and a third. and a combined tournament records of 9-1

I just needed to write this down, because I think I'm coming up with another deck.
For what it's worth, I think the deck is better/stronger since rotation then before. Reasons being.

1) Vines of Vastwood Vs, Rangers Guile - Yes for GG it provided a +4/+4. But I used it as much for the Hexproof ability and protection, as for the Pump. Now the +1/+1 for just the simple G is elegant, and the hexproof messes with peoples day. Also, Kicker as the Extra green was very mana specific. 

2) Groundswell Vs. Titanic Growth - If I didn't have the land drop, the +2/+2 just wasn't enough. Yes, this costs one more, but it's colourless, meaning I can use Inky Mana to Cast it. Now I have +4/+4 when I want it, even on my opponent's turn, and I don't have worry about pulling tricks with fetchlands.

3) Distortion Strike Vs. Spectral Flight. - No, Flight is not as solid evasion as unblockable, but it's still pretty darn good. Yes, it's 1 more mana, 1 colourless mana. I was never casting distortion strike on turn 1, so I'm going to have that second land anyway. +2/+2 is far better then +1/+0. No it doesn't recast the next turn, and possibly trigger the lash at the same time, it's ability lasts for the rest of the game, and the extra toughness creates options. If it comes in later when I have the lash, it means that either the blighted agent, or the elf that's equiped with the lash is swinging for 5, and 2 extra from the lash just for targeting.

I had some players before rotation saying "Thank god Zendikar and its ridiculous pumps are going, that deck won't work anymore." So now that rotation has come and gone, I have people lining up for test games.
The deck goes toe to toe with white Tokens. (If it's a effed up version that runs fog, it becomes challenging.)
The deck has tested about 2 dozen games against Wolfrun and lost 2 maybe 3 games total.
I've also managed to mulligan down to 4, an still win the game.

The biggest problem is:
Solar Flare where he draws the nuts, and I get a sub optimal draw.
If he goes first, I have one elf, and he distresses/ gets to Lilliana, sucks to be me.
If I don't get inky, and protection from Doom Blade, or he gets Ghost Quarter/Sun Titan it's also bad news bears.
It basically becomes a coin flip that comes down to draws. If I can overwhelm, I can win.
If he's having to waste turns thinking twice, and using Forbbiden Alchemy to set up, I'm winning.
Which makes it interesting, because if he doesn't have what he needs, then it forces him to start mulliganing, which bodes well due to his reduced resources.

Anyhow... I needed to vomit this out to get it off my brain. Now I need to start considering playing a different deck.