Author Topic: Wacky Deck Ideas  (Read 349 times)

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
Wacky Deck Ideas
« on: June 27, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
I've thought about making a thread to just celebrate old deck designs from yesterday, and thought it might be fun to do it here (so it's not lost in the random discussion and topics of Discord).

The first one I was thinking about recently was my "Evil Russian" deck. The joke started because Big Show's Survivor Series 2 superstar card was that he looked Russian to my playgroup. Around that time, It Pays to be Evil came out, and building around it was fun. Usually, though, all the rest of the named cards had some use, but no one was using this card:

Remove Corner Turnbuckle
Mid-match Action / Reversal: Special: Heel
As an action, you may place any card with the words "touch turnbuckle" in the title in your opponent's Ring area into his Ringside pile and end your turn.
As a reversal, can reverse any card with the words "touch turnbuckle" in the title, and end opponent's turn.
When this card is in your Ring area, any player must overturn the top 5 cards from his Arsenal into his Ringside pile whenever the card titled Throw Into the Corner Turnbuckle is successfully played against him. Then place this card in your Ringside pile.
F: 6     D: 0

So the concept of the deck was to Taunt for It Pays to be Evil (I don't recall if there was a way to get it back if the random discard caught it, though).  Some of the other actions helped get the initial move through, and if it went all the way through, I'd drop a Remove and end my turn. Big Show had a solid reversal base, which helped keep the games under control, while ripping off 3 turnbuckle covers.

Then came the Throw into the Corner, which caused a 15 card overturn (since DTTAH wasn't invented yet), often followed up with the irreversible Big Show Splash (9D + 6D from Throw), for a total of 30 potential cards overturned!

I didn't play the deck very competitively, but it won more often than it lost, and that wacky Evil Russian was a blast to play.

How about you guys?

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Drywall

• TCO Donor
  • +77/-70
  • 16-bit romantic, proprietor of Geek Street.
    • View Profile
Re: Wacky Deck Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
Chain/High-Risk Diesel
Springboard Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Irish Whip/Chain Goldust "Whips and Chains" (I stole this from someone to be fair)
Suggestive cards in Billy & Chuck (Poke, Go-Behind, etc)
D-Von with Diving maneuvers "Holy Diver"

I'm the wind, baby.

Offline Scotty

• Card Designer
  • +52/-44
  • Backlash Podcast Co-host
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »
I currently have a mono-high risk The Revival built (despite their tagline No Flips, Just Fists), with Blindside Elbow Drops, Technical Stomps/Splashs and lots of Ready to Fight.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +494/-369
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:14:56 AM »
Hypocrisy!  haha

My first mono-High Risk deck was Jerry Lawler, with Technical HRs played after cards, and Drive Opponent Through the Announcer's Table.  Good times!

Love that Lucha Hogan idea, Hogtrail, haha.

CREED
"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Greatjawa

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
Snitsky/Not in front on the Kids

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 3 Judge, Old Man of the Mountain
  • Administrator
  • +320/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
I once won a tournament in the early days of Virtual with Randy Orton, and the only Set-up Action that I packed (besides Destiny, natch) was 15 copies of Money Talks, "BS" Walks!.

Incidentally, I won at least one match because of running Money Talks, "BS" Walks!, because the Action removal on the card stripped away the Volley This that was giving the Shelton player enough Fortitude for I've Seen The Light.
Nate Weiss, Retired Dealer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Online Hogtrail

• +16/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 07:54:42 PM »
Falls Count Anyway Goldust won way more games than it had any right to back in the day.
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!