Author Topic: Scorpion Deathlock  (Read 331 times)

Offline Kingsantino92

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
Scorpion Deathlock
« on: January 15, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »
I was playing at match with my brother and I used my Scorpio. Deathlock to reverse his Dynamic Stretch and he thought I could only reverse a submission with "maintain" in the text and I thought that only stood for the trademark finishers so we let the tlreversal go through and it's still bugging me.

Scorpion Deathlock
Trademark Finisher / Reversal: Special
When your next card played this turn is Maintain Hold, you may ignore the 'Can only be played...' text, and when that card is successfully played as your next card this turn, you win the match via Pinfall Victory.
As a reversal, this card is -10F,  reverse any Submission or Trademark Finisher with “maintain” in the text.
F: 40     D: 15     SV: 2      Unique     WCW logo
V2

Can I reverse any submission or does it have to have "maintain" in the text?

Offline NJDevil18

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Scorpion Deathlock
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 11:55:30 AM »
Its any submission or... a trademark finisher with maintain.

I believe the other way would read reverse any submission or trademark finisher, with "maintain" in the text.  There would be a comma before the word "with".

Offline DebuRaito

• +21/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 06:19:02 PM »
To be fair, basing solely on grammar/punctuation, your brother’s interpretation is correct but the intent of the card wasn’t meant to be that way.

To fix the Scorpion Death Lock text, it should be written as ‘reverse any Submission, or Trademark Finisher with “maintain” in the text’

A similar case I can think of is that people use to misinterpret Facebuster TB to be able to reverse any Set-up cards as well (there’s even a post on omnifaq to explain its intent), but the lack of a comma makes it worded as intended.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:39:53 PM by DebuRaito »

Offline dilbert505

• Raw Deal Rules Manager
  • Global Moderator
  • +50/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »
AFAICT, Debu's correct on all counts. It's intended to reverse any Maintainable TMF or any Submission, but there's a missing comma. I'll bring that to Eric's attention if he doesn't see this thread, and we'll see what can be done about it in the revision process.

On an unrelated note, this is a rules question, so I'm going to yeet this over to the Rules forum if I can figure out how.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.