Author Topic: Boardgame Apps on Mobile  (Read 358 times)

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
  • 2008 Raw Deal World Champion | Team "Ya Got Me"
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
Boardgame Apps on Mobile
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
Wanted to post here and get your thoughts on what good boardgame apps there are for mobile.

Feel free to post Android and iPhone apps - I'm on Android!

Here's what I've got currently:

Carcassone (with both expansions)
Lords of Waterdeep (with both expansions)
7 Wonders (no expansions yet, probably by the end of the month, though.)

So what else should I look into? What boardgame apps are your favorites that get you through between boardgame nights?
Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming early 2018!)

Offline riothebeast

• +3/-9
    • View Profile
Re: Boardgame Apps on Mobile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +316/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
By "board game apps," do you mean apps that emulate board games, or apps that are companions to board games?

For the latter, I can heartily recommend the Dead of Winter Crossroads app. It replaces the Crossroads deck, adds a narrator to read the Crossroads cards, and most importantly, it hides the results of the Crossroads actions until you tap them, for another layer of immersion.

The Sheriff of Nottingham app is also really handy, both as a timer for the inspection round and to help you score the game. Instead of everyone busting out their calculator and ticking away, the app can figure out the most-of-goods bonuses for you.

For apps that emulate board games, my most-played is the Onirim app. Onirim is a solitaire card game, and it translates to an app perfectly. I also enjoy the apps for Star Realms and Ascension, and Ascension supports up to 4 humans or AI players.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline ziggy zenf

• +22/-21
  • I'm.....from Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »
I will sing the praises of the Sentinels of the Multiverse app until I’m blue in the face. I own all of the physical game and people don’t want to play it sometimes. There’s nothing lonelier than shuffling 5-7 decks to play a solitaire game. The app version makes solitaire games a breeze and online play is awesome and cross platform.
WWJD
What Would Justin Do

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 04:15:37 PM »
I will sing the praises of the Sentinels of the Multiverse app until I’m blue in the face. I own all of the physical game and people don’t want to play it sometimes. There’s nothing lonelier than shuffling 5-7 decks to play a solitaire game. The app version makes solitaire games a breeze and online play is awesome and cross platform.

I have the Sentinels of the Multiverse base game and like 4 expansions, and haven't played it yet! I'll definitely pick up this app next!

By "board game apps," do you mean apps that emulate board games, or apps that are companions to board games?
The Sheriff of Nottingham app is also really handy, both as a timer for the inspection round and to help you score the game. Instead of everyone busting out their calculator and ticking away, the app can figure out the most-of-goods bonuses for you.

For apps that emulate board games, my most-played is the Onirim app. Onirim is a solitaire card game, and it translates to an app perfectly. I also enjoy the apps for Star Realms and Ascension, and Ascension supports up to 4 humans or AI players.

I'm looking for mostly apps that emulate board games. I *do* want to pick up Sheriff of Nottingham one day, though. When that happens I'll definitely have to grab the companion app from the sounds of it. I'll see if I can research Onirim on your suggestion. I've also heard good things about Star Realms so that's going on my list as well.

Former World Champion card player and current game designer! Get ready to fight (coming early 2018!)

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 08:42:16 PM »
Onirim is currently free on Android and iPhone! I also got the first expansion free by logging in with my Asmodee username.

My son has even played a couple of games. Thanks for the heads up, Nate!

Offline Buddha Dudley

• 2011 & 2012 World Champion / 2014 & 2015 ACMT Winner
  • Global Moderator
  • +227/-134
  • It's good to be the boss!
    • View Profile
    • VELACARDS.com for all your Raw Deal Purchasing Needs
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
Another +1 for Star Realms. I remember when Mitch and I used to play it daily...
VP of the Raw Deal Players Committee

Buddha's tl;dr for every post "I go to PWG all the time...bay-bay!"

Drew is pretty well the king

Offline necrobaron75

• +28/-31
  • YEP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
Roll for It.
Got it free last week
Fun,but you shake your phone to simulate dice rolling.

I was going to pick up Talisman,but heard dice odds are messed up
"I'll fade away and classify myself as OBSOLETE."

Offline Daeva

• Virtual Contributor, Level 4 Judge, Hope Ender
  • Administrator
  • +316/-214
  • On Balance, Off Balance, Doesn't Matter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »
So, the thing about Talisman... it's one of those games that you need to play with other people, because a big part of the game is the schadenfreude that you feel when another player gets close to winning and then dies horribly because they can't roll better than a 2. Playing with AIs is kinda... flat.
Nate Weiss, Rules Manager & Dream Killer
"You're no fun." -Creed
Timing question? Look here.
Evidence is everything in a court of law. Evidence is also everything in the Rules Forum.

Offline MediumSexy

• +102/-103
    • View Profile
    • MMA Combat Card Game
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 08:51:54 PM »
Another +1 for Star Realms. I remember when Mitch and I used to play it daily...

So I downloaded Star Realms last week (the free base game on Android.)

Ended up stopping in one of my local game stores and picked up a copy to play with my son. (Bought their open demo copy for $10!)

Offline Ekhari

• +4/-2
    • View Profile
Occupy: Mordor.  One Ring should NOT rule them all!

This signature is environmentally friendly and made from 50% recycled materials.