Author Topic: Andre the Giant / 8th Wonder of the World questions  (Read 360 times)

Offline Mau-cho Man

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Andre the Giant / 8th Wonder of the World questions
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:40:34 PM »
Hi there, I was looking into making either an Andre the Giant or 8th Wonder of the World deck (maybe both), and I had a few of questions regarding them. 

First, the card The Heenan Family Enforcer  (pre-match event) says, “Can only be packed by Andre the Giant.” Is it correct to assume that you can only use it with 8th Wonder correct? (Since Andre says no pre-match cards.)

Second, the 8th Wonder card says, ” You can pack Andre the Giant cards (except We Face Each Other as God Intended).”  But the card Giant Eiffel Tower  says, “When you hide We Face Each Other As God Intended, your opponent may remove this card from the game.”  So I guess I’m confused, can I pack We Face Each Other as God Intended with 8th Wonder or not? I would assume you cannot pack Giant Eiffel Tower with Andre since he cannot have prematch cards.

Am I missing something here, and is there a way to pack pre-match cards with Andre?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
Re: Andre the Giant / 8th Wonder of the World questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
The thing you are missing is a game rule that overrides Andre's ability.

Quote from: OmniFAQ
-A card with a Superstar logo can be packed and played by a Superstar that can legally pack it, regardless of restrictions from the Ability.

This text means that Andre may pack Giant Eiffel Tower and The Heenan Family, despite his ability saying that he otherwise can't. Also, since the Revolution Faction cards say "You may pack this card regardless of Superstar," those specific Pre-Match cards may be packed by Andre in any format in which they are legal.

The "Can only be packed by Andre the Giant" text on Heenan Family Enforcer forbids 8th Wonder from packing it; he would otherwise be permitted to do so by the Andre logo.

Giant Eiffel Tower does not permit 8th Wonder to pack We Face Each Other as God Intended. That effect can only be triggered against Andre the Giant, who, as I mentioned before, may pack G.E.T. because it is a Superstar-specfic card he is legally entitled to pack.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline Mau-cho Man

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »
The thing you are missing is a game rule that overrides Andre's ability.

Quote from: OmniFAQ
-A card with a Superstar logo can be packed and played by a Superstar that can legally pack it, regardless of restrictions from the Ability.

This text means that Andre may pack Giant Eiffel Tower and The Heenan Family, despite his ability saying that he otherwise can't. Also, since the Revolution Faction cards say "You may pack this card regardless of Superstar," those specific Pre-Match cards may be packed by Andre in any format in which they are legal.

The "Can only be packed by Andre the Giant" text on Heenan Family Enforcer forbids 8th Wonder from packing it; he would otherwise be permitted to do so by the Andre logo.

Giant Eiffel Tower does not permit 8th Wonder to pack We Face Each Other as God Intended. That effect can only be triggered against Andre the Giant, who, as I mentioned before, may pack G.E.T. because it is a Superstar-specfic card he is legally entitled to pack.

Oh, thanks for the response. So just to make sure I got this right. If I was playing as Andre the Giant, I can only pack prematch and midmatch cards with the Andre logo correct? I wouldn't be able to pack Managed by Bobby the Brain Heenan with Andre, or does the "can only be packed by a legend" language allow this?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:19:41 AM by Mau-cho Man »

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:28:13 AM »
Oh, thanks for the response. So just to make sure I got this right. If I was playing as Andre the Giant, I can only pack prematch and midmatch cards with the Andre logo correct? I wouldn't be able to pack Managed by Bobby the Brain Heenan with Andre, or does the "can only be packed by a legend" language allow this?

Correct. The game rule in question only applies to cards with a Superstar logo on them. Giant Eiffel Tower, The Heenan Family, The Heenan Family Enforcer, and Giant Choke Hold all have Andre's logo on them, and as a result, he may pack those specific cards.

(In Virtual All Axxess, he may also pack <R> The 8th Wonder of the World and <R> Obey, which also have his logo, and the <R> factions, which have superstar logos and specific text permitting any superstar to pack them.)

Managed by Bobby the Brain does not have a superstar logo printed on it, and as such, Andre's ability takes precedence, and he may not pack it.

8th Wonder may pack any Andre the Giant cards, except for We Face Each Other as God Intended, the Arsenal card titled The 8th Wonder of the World (as it is unique, and shares a card title with the superstar card), and any superstar-specifics that explicitly say "Can only be packed by Andre the Giant." As 8th Wonder does not have a general limitation on packing pre-match cards, he may pack Managed by Bobby the Brain.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline Mau-cho Man

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:55:03 AM »

Correct. The game rule in question only applies to cards with a Superstar logo on them. Giant Eiffel Tower, The Heenan Family, The Heenan Family Enforcer, and Giant Choke Hold all have Andre's logo on them, and as a result, he may pack those specific cards.

(In Virtual All Axxess, he may also pack <R> The 8th Wonder of the World and <R> Obey, which also have his logo, and the <R> factions, which have superstar logos and specific text permitting any superstar to pack them.)

Managed by Bobby the Brain does not have a superstar logo printed on it, and as such, Andre's ability takes precedence, and he may not pack it.

8th Wonder may pack any Andre the Giant cards, except for We Face Each Other as God Intended, the Arsenal card titled The 8th Wonder of the World (as it is unique, and shares a card title with the superstar card), and any superstar-specifics that explicitly say "Can only be packed by Andre the Giant." As 8th Wonder does not have a general limitation on packing pre-match cards, he may pack Managed by Bobby the Brain.

Awesome, thanks for the help.

Offline Mau-cho Man

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 12:12:28 PM »
When the 8th Wonder card changes the text on Obey to "Reverse any card.", it completely removes the entire text, correct? Like I am not able to make my opponent discard their hand or backlash, and the chain, heat and volley card restriction is not in effect as well? Just wanted to triple check.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 12:14:04 PM by Mau-cho Man »

Offline dilbert505

• +49/-42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
Correct. The entirety of the card text is replaced with those three words in all zones; when the text is changed, all the card does is reverse any card.

Offline Mau-cho Man

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:29 PM »
Correct. The entirety of the card text is replaced with those three words in all zones; when the text is changed, all the card does is reverse any card.

Awesome, thanks!