Author Topic: Superstar Spotlight: Billy Gunn  (Read 303 times)

Offline rated SRH

• +30/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
Superstar Spotlight: Billy Gunn
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »
Please keep those requests coming. Today's is another 'request' in Billy Gunn!!!!!

1.)  How viable is this superstar?
2.)  Is there a Superstar Specific Card that you'd like to spotlight? 
3.)  How have you built said superstar?  How did it work out?
4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual
5.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?

AND

6.) Since this Superstar is a Legacy one (in that he was in the game before Virtual) can you elaborate a little on how Virtual has changed this Superstar?

B. A. Billy Gunn
Starting Hand Size: 5     Superstar Value: 2
Superstar Ability: Once a turn, reveal your hand to your opponent(s). If you have no maneuvers, reveal cards from your Arsenal to all players, one at a time, until you reveal a maneuver. Put the first maneuver revealed in your hand; all other cards revealed are put back in your Arsenal and shuffled.
FL

DX Crotch Chop
Backstage Card
Cannot be packed by Two-Man Power Trip.
During your turn, you may hide this card to remove up to 5 Superstar-specific cards in your Ringside from the game, then shuffle up to double that number of cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.  When your next card played this turn is a maneuver, it cannot be reversed from Backlash.
Your Revolution The Degenerates gains your logo.
Unique     RMS logo
V1

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Children of All Ages...
Pre-match Event
This card does not take up a Pre-match slot in your Ring.
Your Superstar-specific actions are Multi, and replace "Strike, Grapple" on your Superstar-specific reversals with "non-Trademark Finisher."
When you are Road Dogg, search your Arsenal for Let’s Make Some Noise, put it into your Ring, and shuffle; that card is now Permanent and you do not draw cards for that card when you would discard cards for a card effect from your Ringside; when your first non-reversal card played during the game is a maneuver, it can only be reversed from Arsenal.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     RMS logo
V1

Oh, You Didn't Know?
Pre-match Event
This card does not take up a Pre-match slot in your Ring.
Your Starting Hand Size is +1.
When you are B.A. Billy Gunn, put the bottom card of your Arsenal under this card.
Once during each of your turns, you may put 1 card from your hand under this card. You may play the cards under this card as if they were in your hand.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     RMS logo
V1

The Best Surprises Sneak Up From Behind
Pre-match Event
Name 1 card.
All copies of that card are Permanent.
F: 0      D: 0     Unique     Permanent
VEN

Rico Enters!
Mid-match Reversal: Special / Run-in
Reverse any non-Trademark-Finisher maneuver and end your opponent’s turn.
F: 7     D: 5     Unique
SUM

The One Billy Gunn
Mid-match Action
All players must shuffle the cards in their hand into their Arsenal and draw the same number of cards they shuffled into their Arsenal.
When this card is in your Ring area, once per turn, you may discard 1 maneuver card and draw 1 card.
F: 1     D: 0     Unique
BL

Reinforcements from the DX Army
Mid-match Action: Run-in
Cannot be packed by Two-Man Power Trip.
When you have a Road Dogg or B.A. Billy Gunn Pre-match card in your Ring, this card is F: 0.  When you do not, can only be played after a successfully-played card. 
Shuffle cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal up to the number of maneuvers in your opponent's Ring, draw up to 1 card, and put 1 of your cards removed from the game on the bottom of your Arsenal.
During your turn when you use your Ability, draw up to 1 card.
F: 30     D: 0     Unique
V3

That One Thing
Maneuver: Special
When played, choose Strike, Grapple, or Submission. This card is considered that type until it leaves your Ring area.
When this card is in your Ringside pile, if you do not have more Reversal cards in your Ring area than your opponent, during your turn you may shuffle this card into your Arsenal.
F: 0     D: 7     Unique     Smackdown logo
DO

B.A.'s Military Press Slam
Grapple
When successfully played, you may draw 1 card.
F: 14     D: 12     SV: 2     Unique
FL

Fame-A$%-er
Trademark Finisher / Reversal: Special
Reverse any High Risk maneuver and end your opponent's turn.
If played from your hand, may reverse any High Risk maneuver, or a Strike maneuver played after the card titled Irish Whip. End your opponent's turn.
F: 25     D: 20     SV: 3     Unique
FL

The One and Only
Trademark Finisher / Action / Reversal: Strike
As an action, you may discard this card to either draw 2 cards from your Arsenal or to place any card from your Ringside pile into your hand. Doing this will not cause any damage to opponent, and the Fortitude Value for this Action is 0F.
As a reversal, you can reverse any Strike maneuver and end your opponent's turn.
F: 30     D: 20     SV: 3     Unique
MA

We're Sorry ... But This Has Gone Too Far
Reversal: Special
Reverse any non-Trademark-Finisher maneuver and end your opponent's turn. If played by Billy Gunn, your opponent skips his next turn.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Smackdown logo
VEL

The Federation's Purest Athlete
Reverse any Strike, Grapple, or Submission maneuver. End your opponent's turn. If played from your hand, all your maneuvers next turn are +2D.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique
FL

Tori Enters the Fray!
Reverse any Strike, Grapple, Submission or High Risk maneuver and end your opponent's turn.
If played from your hand, take 3 cards from your Ringside pile and shuffle them into your Arsenal.
F: 7   D: 2     Unique
FL
   ---OR---
Help's On the Way!
You cannot pack this card when packing the card titled Tori Enters the Fray!
Reverse any non-Trademark Finisher maneuver and end your opponent's turn.  Shuffle up to 3 cards from your Ringside pile into your Arsenal.
F: 7     D: 2     Unique
SS3
   ---OR---
Help's On the Way! - Throwback
Cannot be packed when packing Tori Enters the Fray!
Reverse any non-Trademark-Finisher maneuver and shuffle up to 2 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
F: 7     D: 2     Unique
V4

And If You're Not Down With That...
Action
Put cards from your Ringside on the bottom of your Arsenal up to the number of maneuvers in your Ring.
Your B.A.'s Military Press Slam is now a Trademark Finisher instead.
When The One Billy Gunn is in your Ringside, put it in your Backlash.  When you are B.A. Billy Gunn, put it in your Ring instead and it is Permanent.
When you are B.A. Billy Gunn, you may put the card on the bottom of your Arsenal under Oh, You Didn't Know?
F: 5     D: 0     Unique
V1

I'm an A%$ Man
Action
Choose one: Look through your Arsenal and put 1 card in your hand, then shuffle your Arsenal; OR look at your opponent's hand and put 2 cards into his Ringside pile.
F: 9     D: 0     Unique
FL

I've Got Two Words For Ya ...
Action
All players discard their hands or all players put all cards in their Ring area into their Ringside pile.
Draw up to 2 cards.
F: 15     D: 0     Unique
FL, SS1, SS2, SS3
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:15:36 AM by CreedP »
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline dilbert505

• +47/-41
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
Re: Superstar Spotlight: Billy Gunn
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
Man, it's been a while since I've built Billy Gunn for tournament play, but he's an interesting one, so let's give it a go.

1.)  How viable is this superstar?

I don't think BA's an absolute world beater, necessarily; he's certainly not as overpowered as Jibble, or as plug and play as, say, Hart Foundation, but he's flexible and solid. He's a very cerebral deck, so if you're in the mood to control the board and frustrate people, he's your guy.

2.)  Is there a Superstar Specific Card that you'd like to spotlight?

The Best Surprises Sneak Up From Behind
Pre-match Event
Name 1 card.
All copies of that card are Permanent.
F: 0      D: 0     Unique     Permanent
VEN

This card makes Billy GO. 99 times out of 100, it's going to be used to keep your key control card in play, whether that's Sustained Damage, or Luck of the Draw, or Backed by Vickie, or Enter the Stratusphere, or... In that rare instance where you don't plan on using it to sponge, recover, or mess with your opponent in some way, it can make sure that your early fortitude is locked in forever. A Heat deck might want this to make sure the Spinning Kicks never go away, frex.

I can't think of any other card in the game that guarantees you will never lose the most important card in your deck; Witte Retort can be reversed. My New Gimmick only works on maneuvers. This card is only susceptible to backlash destruction; that's it.

3.)  How have you built said superstar?  How did it work out?

I have a Dynamic deck floating around in my Lackey decks folder, which seems to be the most common and obvious build for him. I have yet to bring it to the table, mainly because the thought of that much shuffling on Lackey makes my head hurt; I do plan to bring it to a RL tournament one day. I also keep kicking around the idea of building a sponge deck with permanent Sustained, ICBRTR, Shoot Headlock, and Steel Chain Shot to constantly drop my opponent's damage down to almost nothing.

4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual

This one I can't answer since I haven't gotten to the table with him, but I think Dynamic Gunn is a solid build, at the very least.

5.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?

I really need to put together a physical build for him. And I need to try out the sponge build. Anyone who's in the mood for a nice long game, give Billy a try.

AND

6.) Since this Superstar is a Legacy one (in that he was in the game before Virtual) can you elaborate a little on how Virtual has changed this Superstar?

The extra toys he gets from Virtual don't really change the core build any; they just give him more options to help trigger his ability, which is really almost secondary to the way he plays nowadays. Being able to tuck maneuvers under OYDK, and extra ways of getting The One into play are always helpful.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.