Author Topic: Superstar Spotlight: Christian  (Read 1080 times)

Offline rated SRH

• +30/-15
  • NEVER DOUBT EL DANDY!!!!!
    • View Profile
Superstar Spotlight: Christian
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:21:50 AM »
Standing in today for Drew.
Please keep those requests coming. Today's is another 'request' in Christian!!!!!

1.)  How viable is this superstar?
2.)  Is there a Superstar Specific Card that you'd like to spotlight? 
3.)  How have you built said superstar?  How did it work out?
4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual
5.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?

AND

6.) Since this Superstar is a Legacy one (in that he was in the game before Virtual) can you elaborate a little on how Virtual has changed this Superstar?

Christian
Starting Hand Size: 4     Superstar Value: 1
Superstar Ability: Blank non-Stun-Value card-drawing effects on cards played from your opponent's hand.
BL, SS1, SS2, SS3

Captain Charisma
Backstage Card
Your opponent’s Your Town is blank.
When you are Christian: search your Arsenal for The Christian Coalition put it into your Ring (that card is now Permanent), and shuffle your Arsenal; your Starting Hand Size is +4, and your Christian-specific cards are -5F and do not take up a Pre-match slot in your Ring.
Your Captain Charisma Strikes is +4D.
Unique     RMS logo
V1

Managed by Tyson Tomko
Pre-match Manager
When this card is in your Ring area, once during each of your turns you may remove 1 card in your hand and the top card of your Arsenal from the game and then put 1 non-unique Pre-match Event or 1 non-unique Pre-match Object from your Ringside pile into your Ring area and end your turn.
When your opponent moves this card from your Ring area, put up to 3 of your cards that have been removed from the game into your hand.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique
UNF

Christian's Shades
Pre-match Object
When this card is in your Ring area, you may put this card into your Ringside pile to reverse any Action card and end your opponent’s turn. Draw 1 card.
F: 0     D: 0
BL, SS2
   ---OR---
Christian's Shades - Throwback
Pre-match Object
Your Starting Hand Size is +1.
When this card is in your Ring area, you may put this card into your Ringside pile to reverse any Action card and end your opponent's turn.
F: 0     D: 0
SS3

The Un-Americans
Pre-match Faction
Cannot be blanked.
When your opponent plays a card with 'American' or 'U.S.A.' in the title, he discards 1 card.
During his turn when he draws cards, except for his Ability or his Draw Segment, he overturns 1 card, and when he moves cards from his Ringside to his Arsenal, except for his Ability, he discards 1 card (when you are Test, he overturns 1 card instead).
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Active     Permanent
V6

You Think You Know Me?
Mid-match Reversal: Special
Can only be played when you have 2 or more cards in your hand, unless your Superstar is Edge.
Reverse any non-Trademark-Finisher maneuver and end your opponent's turn. Discard 2 cards. 
MA, SS2, SS3

The Peep's Champ
Mid-match Action: Heel
When this card is in your Ring area, your Superstar Value is +3 and your opponent's Superstar Value is -3. When your Fortitude Rating and Superstar Value are greater than his Fortitude Rating and Superstar Value, he cannot play Superstar-specific cards.
DO, SS3

Temper Tantrum
Mid-match Action
Can only be played when your Fortitude Rating is less than your opponent's Fortitude Rating or when you have fewer cards in your hand than him.
Search your Arsenal for 2 cards, put them into your hand, shuffle your Arsenal, and end your turn.
F: 7     D: 0     Unique
SUM, SS2, SS3

Captain Charisma Strikes
Strike + Strike: Heat
When this card is in your Ringside pile, ignore the Heat trait on this card when you successfully play a card that moves any number of cards from your Ringside pile.
F: 0     D: 4     Unique     Multi
ARM

Tomakazi DDT
Grapple / Reversal: Special
As a maneuver, your opponent may discard 4 cards. If he does not, search your Arsenal for 1 card, put it into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal. 
As a reversal, reverse any maneuver with the word "punch," "slam," or "suplex" in the title and end your opponent's turn.
F: 11     D: 14     SV: 2     Unique
UNF

Impaler
Grapple / Reversal: Strike
As a maneuver, your opponent discards 2 cards.
As a reversal, reverse any Strike maneuver and end your opponent's turn.
F: 15     D: 10    SV: 1     Unique     Raw logo
VEN, SSL

Unprettier
Trademark Finisher / Reversal: Grapple
As a reversal, reverse any Grapple maneuver and end your opponent's turn.
F: 25     D: 20     SV: 2     Unique
BL, SS2, SS3

This is So Totally Unfair!
Reversal: Special
When your Fortitude Rating is less than your opponent's Fortitude Rating, reverse any maneuver and end his turn. You may draw 1 card.
BL, SS2, SS3

Tyson Interferes
Reversal: Action: Run-in
Reverse any non-Set-up Action card and end your opponent's turn. He discards 2 cards. 
F: 8     D: 2     Unique
ARM

I Ain't Not No Sucka Neitha!
Reversal: Special
Reverse any non-Trademark-Finisher maneuver and end your opponent's turn. Your first card played during your next turn cannot be reversed.
F: 10     D: 0    Unique     Raw logo
INX, SS3

Greetings to Our Fans In ... Where the Hell Are We?
Action
Draw up to 4 cards and shuffle 1 card from your Ringside pile into your Arsenal.
BL, SS2, SS3

That's How I Roll
Action
Discard 1 card and then put up to 3 cards from your Ringside pile into your hand.
UNF

Just Close Your Eyes
Action / Reversal: Special
As an action, this card is -4F and -7D, shuffle this card into your Arsenal and your opponent discards 2 cards.
As a reversal, reverse any Activated Card Effect and end your opponent's turn.
F: 4     D: 7     Unique
UNF

The Christian Coalition
Action: Run-in
Put 1 Maneuver card from your Ringside pile into your hand.
When this card is in your Ring area, once during each of your turns you may put 2 cards from your hand on the bottom of your Arsenal and then put 1 Maneuver card from your Ringside pile into your hand.
F: 5     D: 0     Unique
UNF

Kazoo Theme Songs
Action
Shuffle up to # cards from your Ringside pile into your Arsenal, where # is equal to twice your opponent's Superstar Value.
F: 5     D: 0     Unique
BL, SS2, SS3

To All My Peeps Around the World...
Action
Look at your opponent's hand, choose 1 card, he overturns cards equal to the chosen card's printed Damage, and then he discards the chosen card.
F: 6     D: 0     Unique
VEN, SS3
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:13:59 AM by CreedP »
Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Colin5301

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Superstar Spotlight: Christian
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »

Christian is a VERY viable Superstar. Able to disrupt any deck that needs draw power. I've been a Christian fan for years. I've built him in various ways. He's only gotten stronger since Virtual.

Captain Charisma
Backstage Card
When you are Christian: search your Arsenal for The Christian Coalition put it into your Ring (that card is now Permanent), and shuffle your Arsenal; your Starting Hand Size is +4, and your Christian-specific cards are -5F and do not take up a Pre-match slot in your Ring.
Unique     RMS logo
V1

This is by FAR his best card. A Backstage card that makes all my specifics -5F add on that BASH fortitude and I can freely play any specific card that is 8F or less! That means turn one I can

Just Close Your Eyes
To All My Peeps
Tyson Interferes
Kazoo Theme Songs
Temper Tantrum

If you reveal the minus one Shenanigans cards in conjuction with your decently low handsize, you can Tantrum turn one for ANY Two cards you wish. While your opponent cannot Volley This ANY of them.  They're stuck watching you play actions.

Yes I've had him built since he was released. He's been an absolute monster!

4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual

I prefer him for Virtual All Access. Since I can abuse his Revolution stuff as well. I love me some Christian.

Fantastic Superstar. If I was ever able to make a Gen Con I'd definitely play him. He's that strong.

AND

6.) Since this Superstar is a Legacy one (in that he was in the game before Virtual) can you elaborate a little on how Virtual has changed this Superstar?

His Backstage card put him over the top. Especially with his actions. Plus I no longer need to be concerned with Your Town.

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +482/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
If you reveal the minus one Shenanigans cards in conjuction with your decently low handsize, you can Tantrum turn one for ANY Two cards you wish. While your opponent cannot Volley This ANY of them.
I don't believe that's accurate at all.  Where are you getting this from?  Captain Charisma doesn't say anything about hybrid reversals etc.

CREED
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline Hogtrail

• +14/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:15:55 AM »
Maybe he's assuming your opponent won't have cards in his ringside on the first turn to burn for Volley This?
Please Like The Film Slobs on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline CreedP

• Voice of Reason
  • Administrator
  • +482/-368
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
But if he's saying the actions are at a lower Fortitude so they're played at F:0, then you don't remove anything anyway for VT.  There's a piece missing somewhere to make that theory work, and I believe it's an error rather than something in the cards themselves.

EDIT:  Re-reading, he mentions BASH Fortitude, but again it seems like he's forgetting that BASH Pre-match causes damage.  Also, lots of decks start with overturning cards (Hi Fives and such) so that's a rather large assumption that there won't be cards in the Ringside.

CREED
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:26:30 AM by CreedP »
VHS 3: Payback - Out Now!

"Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world." - Bill Bullard

Offline BigPimpin

• +275/-147
  • Straight Gangsta, Foo'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:16:04 AM »
What he's looking to do (turn 1 Tantrum, no ability to Volley This!) is possible, but BASH doesn't get him there in every scenario. 

Rather than spoil the answer, let's turn this into a question: what pre-match cards will you need to do it?  No less than 1, no more than 4. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:22:14 AM by BigPimpin »
Discord: MightyBP
Time Zone: EST
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

100% reason to remember the name.

I'm the reason the hood need a dental plan.

Offline rated SRH

• +30/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
What he's looking to do (turn 1 Tantrum, no ability to Volley This!) is possible, but BASH doesn't get him there in every scenario. 

Rather than spoil the answer, let's turn this into a question: what pre-match cards will you need to do it?  No less than 1, no more than 4.

Great American BASH x2
??

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Hogtrail

• +14/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »

Hell in a cell with a few Bash Pre-Match?

Offline dilbert505

• +47/-41
  • The Prince of Insufficient Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:33 AM »
Presuming your opponent isn't dumping cards into his own ringside, and doesn't put back cards with Backstage Autograph Session or the like, 2x Great American BASH and 1x I Don't Care About the Heat. He'll overturn one for each BASH, you remove one card in his Ringside with IDCATH, then he's left with 1 card in Ringside against a 2F Temper Tantrum.

If your opponent is putting cards in his own Ringside, Hell in a Cell will do it.
Universally Recognized as a Mature and Responsible Adult.

Playing on Lackey? I'm on US Eastern Time; you can check what time it is for me here.

Offline BigPimpin

• +275/-147
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »
I thought of two answers that work regardless of the opponent's behavior.

One of them was Hell In A Cell, that's the only one that works with BASH (assuming he hasn't activated Making Your Escape).

The other is not BASH.
Available Lackey Hours: late nights (8-9 PM starts), some weekend evenings or morning.

Offline Hogtrail

• +14/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
Fans Love an Underdog? Assuming they don't have a DTTAH

Offline BigPimpin

• +275/-147
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »
Fans Love an Underdog? Assuming they don't have a DTTAH

While that can work, it's also dependent on the opponent having/not having a card in their hand.

The answer I was thinking of was the combination of these two cards:

Baghdad, Iraq
Pre-match Venue: Heat
Cannot be packed by 1-2-3 Kid, Christy, Eve, Kane, Paul Burchill, Sandman or The Second Coming.
When this card is in your Ring and you are not Muhammad Hassan or The Iron Sheik, before each of your Draw Segments, your opponent may overturn 1 card and flip 2 cards in his Ring face-down; if he does, you overturn 2 cards.
ACE: Once during any players' turn, he may move this card from any Ring to any other Ring, and then discard 1 card and 1 Backlash card.
F: 0     D: 2     Universally Active      Permanent

Restart the Match
Pre-Match Event
After all player's Pre-Match phases, before the first turn of the game, if you reveal 1 Chain, Heat, or Volley maneuver from your hand, choose 1: all players shuffle their Ringside piles into their Arsenals or all players shuffle their hands into their Arsenals and then draw the same number of cards they had.
F: 0      D: 0

Your requirement would be to have at least one Chain/Heat/Volley maneuver in your hand prior to starting the game.  The other pre-match cards in this scenario would make sure you got said card in your hand: Managed by Regal, Taunt the Fans + One of the Big Boys, Managed by Vince TB + Taunt, You Will Witness History, Managed by Lita, mass overturn by stuff like High Fives x 3 and Big Boys, or any number of other scenarios that might work in your favor.  That gives you 2F (along with the -5F from the Backstage) as well as dumping his Ringside back into the Arsenal. 

Even in the scenario of Old School Cage Match, they end up with 1 card in their Ringside which doesn't work for the 2F Action and Volley This! - they can, however, smack To All My Peeps Around the World, which shrinks to 1F. 

Cell would block this off, but then again Cell prevents Volley This anyway, so same mission is accomplished.

There's also the possibility of using I Know Who Pays My Salary to ensure that you meet the qualifications of the card turn 1. 

Raw Deal Trivia aside, while this can definitely be a useful place to start, you still have to actually, you know, put good cards in your deck and have a plan besides "Go get two cards."  Guarantee you that if you first turn tantrum, your opponent will not be throwing ACE's against you unless he doesn't know Christian's cards.

To answer the actual questions:

1) Viable, but moreso in a non-Legend non-No Sell environment where Revo and Manager just straight-up don't draw you any cards.
2) While Captain Charisma is definitely one of his top cards, I'm going to highlight:

The Un-Americans
Pre-match Faction
Cannot be blanked.
When your opponent plays a card with 'American' or 'U.S.A.' in the title, he discards 1 card.
During his turn when he draws cards, except for his Ability or his Draw Segment, he overturns 1 card, and when he moves cards from his Ringside to his Arsenal, except for his Ability, he discards 1 card (when you are Test, he overturns 1 card instead).

So you blank drawing effects from hand...check.  And when they recover cards Ringside to Arsenal (Ability aside), they then lose more of their hand?  Yeah that's a really underrated effect - ask anyone who's played Damien Sandow how freakin' annoying that is.

3) He had mixed results when I built him.  The obvious build is Chain - between the Chain trait, all of the small discard perks, and Christian Coalition recurring Chain moves to toss every turn, he can be a beast.  I've also built him VAA No Escape to spam Whirlwind Kick turn after turn - didn't work out so well. 
4) I tried him both Chain (VC) and No Escape (VAA).  The former worked better than the latter.
5 and 6) Christian is one of the poster boys for what the Virtual *ahem* Revolution can do for a superstar that's fallen way behind over time.  Most of Christian's cards were toolbox cards and/or their costs and drawbacks were too high.  It made Christian difficult to succeed with that mish-mosh of parts.  Making Christian's cards -5F, especially in VAA, really brings them together for the price that they do things.  He still has to deal with some drawbacks (Tomko a Run-In, Peep's Champ needs higher SV to work, Totally Unfair only works from hand when behind in Fort), but the global reduction in cost of his cards has made them good value for their cost. 

Offline StraightEdge0722

• +9/-7
  • The Lucha Libre of the Raw Deal No Remorse Corps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 09:34:58 PM »
Christian is a very viable superstar still in this game. He has many support cards to help him out and is able to be built in almost in format. He has the best action reversal in the game with no draw back (in my opinion).  If you build him BASH you have the auto action reversal which is what makes him very good in classic.

Captain Charisma
Backstage Card
Unique     RMS logo
V1

This card has alone helped Christian become more viable in this new format and meta.  He gets an 8 SHS before underrated and any other modifications on his hand size.  Plus being able to get his specifics -5F, which includes his ACE reversal that will shoot him to auto 7F. So if you are BASH deck you have an auto 10F right off the bat. which then puts you in spot for a potential turn 1 Precision haymaker.

I have built him different ways and some have been a success and some have failed.  I tried him out as a chain deck and throwing chain after chain since his ability blocks the Ego boost discard into 4 card draw.  (which is a big perk in classic format).  I have also done a BASH deck with Christian as well.

When I had built Christian the BASH deck it was a very good deck and was frustrating at times.  3 x BASH with 11 SHS after underrated and backstage card. Uses things to discard my cards and widdle your hand down with Dare to take a challenge to get under cards in hand.  Leads into Showtime which means I play Temper Tantrum turn 1 into search for To All my Peeps and another card depending on what is in hand.  Basic Moves with Multi and Precision Haymakers to finish off.  While waiting with his reversal base with YTYKM, No Sucka Neither, and Tomikazi DDT being able to reverse with only 6F or less.

In my opinion Christian is a very viable superstar to this day and will remain so until it wins worlds or until everything he gets or until something comes along and breaks him, not to mention he is able to block your specifics if he gets Peeps champ off.

AND

Virtual has made him more playable as his backstage nukes Your Town in its tracks since his set up is in the Prematch with tomko and shades both being able to be played at no cost.  The -5F is not really needed for his specifics as most of his support is of lower fortitude anyway. Also being able to pick moves at will with Christian coalition is almost Taker like and will never have to worry bout having a move in hand.  It also helps that if something is in hand that can't be used, you just tuck them on bottom to pick up move with coalition.

No Regrets, No Respect, No Remorse -Raw Deal's No Remorse Corps.

Offline rated SRH

• +30/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 10:21:42 AM »
He's definitely able to beat just about anyone. Has a lot of quality specific cards.

Captain Charisma
Backstage Card
Unique     RMS logo
V1

This card is SUPER strong. Boosts the hand adds in ability to fetch moves. Overall beautiful card. The -5F doesn't hurt either.
I've built him a time or two before. Had decent results with the various builds.

Here was remade in Revolution adding new toys. I like him best in VC the best. If he is build the "John P" method he can be rather annoying. Those of you who don't know what "John P" is. Basically, BASH with hard to reverse moves, Precision Haymaker, Atomic Lariat, unique actions. He fits the bill there. Just make sure you have Get Back in the Ring to stop those key actions, when Volley This isn't an option.

He's definitely fun and has different routes to travel.

AND

His backstage card masked several of his crippling weaknesses. He is definitely stronger in the Virtual Era.

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline BigZeke70

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »

I would say he is definitely viable in all formats. He doesn't really need anything else.

Yes,

The Un-Americans
Pre-match Faction
Cannot be blanked.

This is such a pain to deal with. Punishes you for doing key things you may need during the game.

I've got above .500 record with him. He's truly a great deck to build. Definitely has his bad match ups. Anyone that plays Frankie Takes Ho-llywood can bypass your ability for their reversals.

Tried all but NXT with him. Mainly since 3MW is so overpowering there. That's a rant for a different day. Christian can go so many ways it's hard to sometimes pick one.

He's a great deck for anyone. He can be a very good beginning deck. His stuff is simple and to the point.

AND

Obviously not worrying over Your Town anymore is nice. I'd say he's in a good spot in the virtual world.

Offline StraightEdge0722

• +9/-7
  • The Lucha Libre of the Raw Deal No Remorse Corps
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:45 AM »
Wanted to ask something as it pertains to the superstar spotlight forum, if this is the wrong place then I apologize in advance. If I or anyone wanted a certain superstar or superstars to be spotlighted how do we go about asking for such? Do we post here or do we need to message someone directly? Just wanting to ask.
No Regrets, No Respect, No Remorse -Raw Deal's No Remorse Corps.

Offline rated SRH

• +30/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »
Wanted to ask something as it pertains to the superstar spotlight forum, if this is the wrong place then I apologize in advance. If I or anyone wanted a certain superstar or superstars to be spotlighted how do we go about asking for such? Do we post here or do we need to message someone directly? Just wanting to ask.

You can message either Drew or myself.

Heisenberg of Raw Deal