Author Topic: Superstar Spotlight: Bret "The Hitman" Hart  (Read 645 times)

Offline Buddha Dudley

• 2011 & 2012 World Champion / 2014 & 2015 ACMT Winner
  • Global Moderator
  • +227/-134
  • It's good to be the boss!
    • View Profile
    • VELACARDS.com for all your Raw Deal Purchasing Needs
Superstar Spotlight: Bret "The Hitman" Hart
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
We already got a couple of requests.  Keep them coming.  Here's the Wednesday Superstar Spotlight via Request: Bret "The Hitman" Hart

1.)  How viable is this superstar?
2.)  Is there a Superstar Specific Card that you'd like to spotlight? 
3.)  How have you built said superstar?  How did it work out?
4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual
5.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?

Bret "The Hitman" Hart
Starting Hand Size: 5     Superstar Value: 6
Legend Superstar Ability:  Your Backstage Area may contain 1 copy of A Technical Shoot and Technically Sound & Brutal, (ignore the 'When this card is in your Ring Area' text of both) they are revealed with your Superstar card, but you may not pack those cards in your Backlash.
Your non-unique maneuvers that do not have 'reversed' in the text are considered to have the words 'Technical' and 'Precision' in the title.
V1

The Hitman
Backstage Card
Your opponent cannot play Pre-match cards with 'blank' in the text unless those cards have "Cannot be blanked" in the text.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, name a card.  During his turn, you may discard 1 card to reverse that card.
Unique
V1

Bret’s Trademark Sunglasses
Backstage Card
Your Pre-match Capacity is +1 for each Fan Favorite and Face Pre-match card in your Ring.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, you may discard 1 card and then draw 3 cards.
Unique     RMS logo

The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be
Pre-match Event
Your action cards with 'precision' in the title and your Simply the Best cards are Multi.
ACE: During your turn, you may put this card into your Ringside, and if your next card played this turn is a maneuver with 'precision' in the title, it is Multi.  This effect cannot be reversed.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     RMS logo
V1

The Hart Family
Pre-match Faction
Cannot be blanked and your opponent cannot prevent you from playing this card.  Cannot be played when you have Allegiance: WWE.  You are a Hart Family member and before your first turn of the game, when you do not have a Venue in your Ring, you may put Calgary, Alberta, Canada from your Backlash into your Ring.
When this card is in your Ring and you do not have a Corner in your Ring, he must discard 2 cards in order to be able to reverse your non-Backlash Superstar-specific actions from hand or Backlash.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     WWF Classic logo
V5

The Five Moves Of Doom
Mid-match Action + Action
Search your Arsenal and Ringside for any number of maneuvers with 'Bret' in the title, reveal them, put them into your hand, and shuffle your Arsenal.  For the rest of this turn, you can only play cards with 'Bret' in the title, and if they are reversed, ACE: you may discard 2 cards to continue your turn.
F: 10     D: 0     Unique     Multi
V1

Trained in The Hart Family Dungeon
Mid-match Action
Can only be played by a Hart Family member or Chris Benoit.  When you have The Hart Family in your Ring, this card is -15F and your opponent cannot respond to this card.
Your maneuvers are -2F.
ACE:  Once during each of your turns, you may discard 2 cards and then put 1 non-Unique non-hybrid maneuver from your Ringside into your hand; when you have lower Fortitude, this effect cannot be reversed.
F: 15     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     WWF Classic logo
V5

The Hitman's Leg Drop
High Risk / Action
As a maneuver, can only be played after a successfully played maneuver and cannot be reversed by non-F:0 reversals.
As an action, this card is -6F, shuffle this card and up to 2 cards in your Ringside into your Arsenal.
F: 6     D: 8     SV: 2     Unique     WWF Classic logo
V4

Bret’s Precision Vertical Suplex
Grapple / Reversal: Special
When played as a maneuver, you may discard up to 5 cards, this card is -2F for each card discarded.
As a reversal, reverse any non-Superstar-specific non-maneuver card.
When successfully played, draw 1 card.
F: 15     D: 8     Unique
V1

Bret’s Precision Russian Leg Sweep
Grapple / Reversal: Strike
When played as a maneuver, you may overturn up to 5 cards, this card is -1F for each card overturned.
F: 15     D: 8     Unique
V1

Bret’s Precision Back Breaker
Grapple / Reversal: Grapple
When played as a maneuver, you may discard up to 5 cards from your Backlash, this card is -2F for each card discarded.
F: 20     D: 12     SV: 1     Unique
V1

Bret’s Second-Rope Elbow Drop
High Risk + High Risk
Can only be played after a successfully played maneuver.
This card is considered non-Unique when it is in your Ringside, and cannot be reversed from hand when played after From the Middle Turnbuckle.
F: 10     D: 8     SV: 1     Unique     Multi
V1

Bret’s Sharpshooter
Trademark Finisher
When your next card played this turn is Maintain Hold, ignore the "Can only be played..." text.
F:30     D:25     SV: 2     Unique
V1

Excellence of Execution
Reversal: Special
This card ignores any "can only be reversed" restriction from a card.
Reverse any maneuver, even if it cannot be reversed.  When this card reverses from Arsenal, put it into your Ring instead of your Ringside.
F: 0     D: 2     Unique     Permanent     RMS logo
V1

The Family Has My Back
Reversal: Special
Can only be played by a Hart Family member.
When played from hand, reverse a non-Unique maneuver; when your opponent is a Stable or can pack Tag Team Title Belts, reverse any maneuver instead.  Put up to 1 maneuver from your Ringside into your hand, and he discards 1 card.
F: 12     D: 0     Unique     WWF Classic logo
V5

Excellence of Ring Work
Action + Action
When you have lower Fortitude, this card is -5F.
Search your Arsenal for up to 2 maneuvers, put them in your hand, and shuffle.
Your maneuvers are -2F and +1D.
F: 10     D: 0     Unique     WWF Classic logo
V5

Time for a Change!
Action + Action
This card is -#F, where # is your opponent's Fortitude Rating.  When you have lower Fortitude or when played as a Counter, this card cannot be reversed.
Overturn up to 3 cards, and shuffle the same number of maneuvers from your Ringside into your Arsenal;  draw up to 5 cards, then shuffle the same number of cards from your hand into your Arsenal.
F: 15     D: 0     Unique     WWF Classic logo
V5

VP of the Raw Deal Players Committee

Buddha's tl;dr for every post "I go to PWG all the time...bay-bay!"

Drew is pretty well the king

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Superstar Spotlight: Bret "The Hitman" Hart
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
this is a tough one....he's kinda "almost good" if you know what I mean.....

1.)  How viable is this superstar?

Eh, I'd play him for science purposes or to see what I could do with him in Allentown....or because it was one of Mike's decks (he did make an annoying one), his cards are kinda meh....and I suspect he could use something that lets his tech's and precision's count as chain cards for his effects in Calgary...

2.)  Is there a Superstar Specific Card that you'd like to spotlight? 

The Hitman
Backstage Card
Your opponent cannot play Pre-match cards with 'blank' in the text unless those cards have "Cannot be blanked" in the text.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, name a card.  During his turn, you may discard 1 card to reverse that card.
Unique

BY FAR his best card...especially since he can name precision haymaker with it....or punch after punch....you need to know who you're playing but when you do it shuts down their key non-unique....

3.)  How have you built said superstar?  How did it work out?

I've used Mike's build in testing....it's a good mid-range level deck to throw stuff at....it Bret rolls the deck I know it needs work

4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual

Mike's was AA...naming scissor hold with the backstage is an annoying process for both sides  :laugh:

5.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?

Needs a little help...but has legend support which is big, but is one really good card away from contender-ship
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline Dr_phillanomics

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
Bret needs help, doesn't he? When you compare his Superstar specifics to say - Terry Funk... The difference is ridiculous. I get that Bret was one of the first virtual decks (I remember printing him when TCO had the first rough copies of Virtual 1 on here.) All I can think, is build him chain. And some kind of discard theme. The hitman is a well designed card and it's techy but how often do people rely on one non-unique key card?? His precision moves (as maneuvers) are worse than normal precision moves. And the five moves of Doom is really flimsy (ACE should be irreversible). I like Excellence of Execution as the ultimate reversal (Fitting of Bret's ring generalship) but given his lacklustre card pool you might as well make it recurrable. (Ok that might be going too far). But he isn't really a threat in today's game. Give him "Bret's Spike pile-driver", a F:0 chain multi, only reversible from arsenal... gives you Rocks ability when in ring...Just just give him Angles Uppercuts and ummm...Unleashed bomb. Ok, I'll stop with my irrational demands now. Lol
The smartest man in Royal Rumble history.

Offline rated SRH

• +39/-15
  • Welcome to the Rated SRH Era!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
Bret needs help, doesn't he? When you compare his Superstar specifics to say - Terry Funk... The difference is ridiculous. I get that Bret was one of the first virtual decks (I remember printing him when TCO had the first rough copies of Virtual 1 on here.) All I can think, is build him chain. And some kind of discard theme. The hitman is a well designed card and it's techy but how often do people rely on one non-unique key card?? His precision moves (as maneuvers) are worse than normal precision moves. And the five moves of Doom is really flimsy (ACE should be irreversible). I like Excellence of Execution as the ultimate reversal (Fitting of Bret's ring generalship) but given his lacklustre card pool you might as well make it recurrable. (Ok that might be going too far). But he isn't really a threat in today's game. Give him "Bret's Spike pile-driver", a F:0 chain multi, only reversible from arsenal... gives you Rocks ability when in ring...Just just give him Angles Uppercuts and ummm...Unleashed bomb. Ok, I'll stop with my irrational demands now. Lol

He worked fine taking me to the finals of Worlds in VC and VAA . I don't think Bret needs much. I do believe he deserves his Figure Four Around the post. Something to thow mid game.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 09:01:35 AM by rated SRH »
Your 2018 WWE Raw Deal World Champion!!!!!!!

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind.

Top 8 at Gen Con 2014 Finished top 4 Gen Con 2015

25 Time Castle Comics Champion

Leader of the Raw Deal Main Event Mafia

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Dr_phillanomics

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »
Fair play mate. Have you posted a decklist at all? I'd definitely be interested to see how you built him as a few of us have tried in our playgroup and he just seems to get thrashed. Mind you I can only speak for Virtual Classic.

Offline rated SRH

• +39/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 08:59:17 AM »
I did not. Ive messaged it to those who asked. In VAA his ability makes all Revo 0F 7D moves untouchable by A Revolution of the Mind or Return BASH Scotty Worm. Add in the +1D from his unresponsive mid, You have Don't be a Douchebag or burn Restricted Use to Elbow it.

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline Dr_phillanomics

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »
Interesting, I must admit the revo side of raw deal is a bit of a foreign concept to me. Do you think his viability transfers well into VC? That is where he seems to be lacking to me.

Offline rated SRH

• +39/-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »
Interesting, I must admit the revo side of raw deal is a bit of a foreign concept to me. Do you think his viability transfers well into VC? That is where he seems to be lacking to me.

He makes a really good chain deck in VC. Also Heat will work well. Going into Worlds I had 5 differently built Bret ideas. Bret has very solid reversals. They're up there on fortitude, however of you can get out the door quickly he can lock down a game if his Five Moves of Doom lands. I wanted to save 5 Moves for a post Mania play. That way whatever you drew Bret was going to blast with pain red.

Heisenberg of Raw Deal

Offline CRASHER

• +86/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
Bret needs a perk on Blindside Drop Toe Hold....because 4/10  :laugh: :laugh:
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!