Author Topic: Superstar Spotlight: Kevin Owens  (Read 544 times)

Offline Buddha Dudley

• 2011 & 2012 World Champion / 2014 & 2015 ACMT Winner
  • Global Moderator
  • +224/-134
  • It's good to be the boss!
    • View Profile
    • VELACARDS.com for all your Raw Deal Purchasing Needs
Superstar Spotlight: Kevin Owens
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:24:28 AM »
Monday's Superstar Spotlight is on the Universal Champion, Kevin Owens.  If you'd like to see a specific Superstar, LMK via PM's and I'll put it in the queue.

1.)  How viable is this superstar?
2.)  Is there a Superstar Specific Card that you'd like to spotlight? 
3.)  How have you built said superstar?  How did it work out?
4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual
5.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?

KEVIN OWENS
Starting Hand Size: 8     Superstar Value: 4
NXT Superstar Ability: When your opponent reverses a card from his Arsenal to end your turn, he overturns 2 cards.
When he reverses a card from hand to end your turn, draw up to 1 card.
VHS2

The Prizefighter
Backstage Card
When NXT Championship Title Belt is in your Ring, your opponent's Starting Hand Size is -2.
When you have a Title Belt in your Ring and you use your Ability, put up to 1 non-reversal maneuver in your Ringside on the bottom of your Arsenal.
When you do not have a Title Belt in your Ring, he has a Title Belt in his Ring, and you have lower Fortitude, add 1 to the numbers in your Ability.
Unique     RMS logo     NXT logo
VHS2

Fight Owens Fight
Pre-match Event
Cannot be blanked.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, search your Arsenal for up to 3 non-Unique non-hybrid maneuvers, reveal them, put them under this card, and shuffle.
Once during each of your turns, you may put 1 card under this card into your hand.
ACE: During your turn, you may put this card and all cards under this card into your Ringside, and then your next maneuver played this turn is -5F for each card put into the Ringside for this effect.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     NXT logo
VHS2

If I Can Do That to Him, What Can I Do to You?
Mid-match Reversal: Special
When your opponent is Sami Zayn, this card is F: 0.
Reverse any Superstar-specific maneuver, and remove the reversed card from the game. At the start of your next turn, you may play that card as if it was in your hand (or Backlash, if applicable) and ignore any 'Can only be played...' text; if you do, after damage is applied, put that card into his Ringside regardless of other effects.
F: 14     D: 0     Unique     NXT logo
VHS2

Controlling the Pace of the Match
Mid-match Action
During your opponent's turn, before his Draw Segment, you may put this card from your Backlash into your Ring and end his turn; when it was not the first turn of the game, draw up to 2 cards.
ACE: During your turn when this card is in your Ring, you may overturn 2 cards, and then discard up to 2 cards, put the same number of cards +1 from your Ringside into your hand, and remove this card from the game.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     NXT logo
VHS2

Kevin's Cannonball
High Risk
Can only be played after a 4D+ maneuver or as a Counter.
As a Counter (maneuver), cannot be reversed from Arsenal. As a Counter (non-maneuver), cannot be reversed from hand.
When played after a successfully played maneuver, cannot be reversed from Backlash.
F: 8     D: 8     SV: 1     Unique     NXT logo
VHS2

Kevin's Superkick
Strike + Strike
When played as a Counter, ignore 'completely' in reversal cards and effects to this card.
Your opponent discards 1 random card, and reversals to your next card played this turn are +6F.
F: 8     D: 9     SV: 2     Unique     Multi     NXT logo
VHS2

Pumphandle Neckbreaker
Grapple + Grapple
During your turn when this card is in your Ringside and your opponent reverses a maneuver from hand or Arsenal, you may put this card under Fight Owens Fight.
This card is -#F, where # is his Fortitude Rating.
He discards 2 random cards.
When this card is reversed, double the numbers in your Ability until the end of the turn.
F: 14     D: 8     SV: 2     Unique     Multi     NXT logo
VHS2

Owens' Pop-Up Power Bomb
Trademark Finisher / Reversal: Special
As a reversal, reverse any card played after a Set-up card.
Shuffle up to 3 cards from your Ringside into your Arsenal.
ACE: During your turn, you may discard 2 cards and then put this card from your Ring into your hand.
F: 25     D: 20     SV: 3     Unique     NXT logo
VHS2

Fight Me!
Reversal: Special
Reverse any non-Superstar-specific maneuver, put up to 1 non-hybrid maneuver from your Ringside under Fight Owens Fight, and your opponent puts 1 random card from hand on the bottom of his Arsenal.
When this card is in your Ring, your maneuvers with printed Stun Value are +1D and +1 Stun Value.
F: 6     D: 0     Unique     NXT logo
VHS2

I've Accomplished More in Months Than You Have in Years
Reversal: Special
Reverse any non-maneuver card; look at your opponent's hand, choose up to 3 cards; he shuffles them into his Arsenal, overturns 3 cards, and draws 1 card.
When this card is in your Ring, replace "hand" and "Arsenal" with "hand or Arsenal" in your Ability.
F: 15     D: 3     Unique     NXT logo
VHS2

Making a Mockery of the Competition
Action
Your opponent cannot respond to this card.
Choose 1 Superstar-specific non-hybrid card that is an action or antic in his Ringside, remove his card from the game, and this card gains the removed card's text until the end of the turn.
This card resolves to the Ring regardless of other effects.
VHS2

VP of the Raw Deal Players Committee

Buddha's tl;dr for every post "I go to PWG all the time...bay-bay!"

Drew is pretty well the king

Online CRASHER

• +83/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Superstar Spotlight: Kevin Owens
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »
he's a bit new for this and hasn't been tossed around fully....but sure:

VERY, excellent cards....a flexible ability and the ability to kick a sponge deck in the balls (plus in essence every move that goes through does at least 3 damage since the overturn 2 would kick in if they got the move on one)....and he doesn't have a single bad card in his set, and he doesn't mind spamming moves till they stick if he goes banned and prizefighter's effects

They're all too good, it's hard to pinpoint just one, plus the nXt support is awesome too

I did one chain, one BASH....but never played it outside of testing....he's pretty good though, I don't think you can make a bad KO build unless you tried really hard

4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual
Only tried VC, he's a bit too backlash-dependent for nXt and I don't like playing AA decks that don't have their own revo cards....but I think the similar build MIGHT fare well

VERY good deck, hard to build wrong, flexible cards...let's all bring him to Gen Con just to see diversity explode!!!!  :laugh:
*IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII* AM the Super Show 2017 Tag Team Champions!!!!!!

Offline Ryx

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »
Extremely viable.  He can do just about anything you want him to.

Controlling the Pace of the Match
Mid-match Action
During your opponent's turn, before his Draw Segment, you may put this card from your Backlash into your Ring and end his turn; when it was not the first turn of the game, draw up to 2 cards.
ACE: During your turn when this card is in your Ring, you may overturn 2 cards, and then discard up to 2 cards, put the same number of cards +1 from your Ringside into your hand, and remove this card from the game.
VHS2

This card can single-handedly put an end to the game.  Especially when used after you have cleared Divine Intervention with a Pop-Up Powerbomb.  Oh you thought you were safe, lets just end your turn and hit you with it again.

I built him Heel, using a Flawless Transition opening and cards like Spinning Toe Hold, etc. that could build a fortitude base to race to Pop-Up Powerbomb.  Once I hit Pop-up Powerbomb, I pitched Steel Chain Shots to put it back in hand.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat.  The game I play tested him, I was facing a No Escape deck so I lost access to my backlash reversals but KO didn't really feel hampered by it.

4.)  How well does the Superstar fare in whichever format you built them in be it VC/VAA/NXT/VR/Non-Virtual?
I haven't branched out to NXT or anything involving Revo, but I think he is a serious threat in VC and probably would be in other formats as well.

One of my favorites to pilot so far.  He is so versatile that  you could build him any which way you wanted and have a good chance to come out on top.

Offline Keith0913832

• TCO Donor
  • +10/-3
  • Onward with the <R>evolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »

Very flexible superstar imo. No real direction, but with an ability like his, he can run almost anything and make it look good. Although the ability is passive, it does make a difference when it happens.

Definitely Pop-up Powerbomb. The Ace is an extremely powerful effect. Thank god the reversal part doesn't cover much ground, or it would have been broken.

Haven't found the time to build this, but I would say that its gonna be fairly easy trying to fit them into any tactic. One tactic that comes straight to my mind is an FO deck, either by playing around with Kitchen Sink and Fight Owens Fight, or go with the unique FOs and Steel Chains to re-use pop-up powerbomb. Alternatively, a Chain deck could work well, especially if he runs more cards that can reduce opponent's handsize and cause discard. Drawing power from ability will also fuel discarding for chain effect to continue hitting the moves.

4.)  Final Thoughts on this Superstar?
Strong HS and support cards, coupled by a passive ability makes this deck an easy superstar for anyone to play.

Offline darkdestiny91

• +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
Huge fan of this superstar as it is an aggressive deck that can deal with sponge decks. Also has many strong cards in general.

Fight Owens Fight
Pre-match Event
Cannot be blanked.
At the end of the Pre-match phase, search your Arsenal for up to 3 non-Unique non-hybrid maneuvers, reveal them, put them under this card, and shuffle.
Once during each of your turns, you may put 1 card under this card into your hand.
ACE: During your turn, you may put this card and all cards under this card into your Ringside, and then your next maneuver played this turn is -5F for each card put into the Ringside for this effect.
F: 0     D: 0     Unique     Permanent     NXT logo
VHS2

One of my favorite cards as it tutors for maneuvers to toss at your opponent and guarantees an opening maneuver for your build.

Yes. Built a Volley variant and I gotta say it's effective as you lock out most sponge decks and allow you to be as aggressive all the time, tutoring for Punch after Punch/Precision Haymaker with Fight Owens Fight also gives you a strong finish after you barrage your opponent early. Basically, you force your opponent to race your aggressiveness.

Very strong contender in the format I play which is only VC, but I see him being a strong superstar choice in most formats.

Very strong and aggressive superstar that appeals to most aggro players. Also has a in-built fail-safe against slower decks or sponge decks that allow your maneuvers to go through, punishing them for it. All around, a good choice for newer players as they'll be able to understand how to play him easily, yet offers a lot of depth, build-wise, for veteran players.